View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Mrnicguy00
Noob-Jersey

Member #26032

My Ride:
1997 Ranger 2wd 289HP/C4, 1977 Mustang II /donor

Speedo troubleshooting

Hi, this is my first post here as a member. I really liked your post, very detailed. It's only missing 2 things, speedo and tach info. I've searched for hours upon hours trying to find the answer with no success. I did find the info on how to re-calibrate the tach with the pins. That seems simple enough.
But I can find very little on the speedo problem. My goal is to make all the stock gauges work properly with my 289 and C4 trans. The speedo is the last and most difficult to figure out. This is what I have gathered thus far. Up to 1994 was mechanical, 95-97 is a VSS and 98-up is read from the PCM. I've also read that I could use a 96-97 Exploder set up but I really dont want to do that. Since mine is a 97 it's has the VSS on the tail housing of the trans. What do I need in order to use my stock speedo work with my C4? Does the data from the VSS go directly to the speedo? If so, wouldn't a gear driven VSS adapter solve the problem entirely? Therefore, no need to mess with the dash end at all. I see it as, if the data is sent properly (from the trans) it should be receiving properly at the other end (dash). Unless there is something that is incomplete or interferes between the 2. Any help figuring this out would be very much appreciated.
Mrnicguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote