View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #349
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
holy crap, $5500?!
Yeah, it blew me away when I added up my parts list! I went into this thinking "m20 is bad, lets swap in an m52 for cheap" and now that I am too far down the 24v road I am seeing what things are going to cost to get it going after factoring in the odds and ends.

I'm going to wait to do AC because that is $800+ to do it right (parallel flow condenser, r134 expansion valve+pressure switch+drier, r134 compressor). I was originally going to upgrade to a 3.5" HFM and intake setup but to keep my stock 3" HFM and intake it saves me $400.

Oil pan baffle $160, M50 (long runner) intake manifold adapter $200, etc- every piece after you get the cheap "foundational" swap components is quite expensive. Just to flash the EWS and secondary air system off of the ECU and put a base tune on it is $400.

I think the car will be worth it in the end, it is just going to take me a bit longer (and a few more partouts) to finish funding it.

I'm really hoping this car and the M3 will be my "keepers", so I'm not terribly mad about the added cost other than the fact that I would like to see this project come to completion sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Coilovers are looking good!

Is the M3 cluster different for the SI board? I know almost nothing about old BMWs, forgive my ignorance

Oh, and for the stuck steering u-joint... Cut the thing down the side carefully and hit it with a cold chisel to crack it loose?
Thanks, man! Finally having the coilovers done will be nice. I spoke with ground control today about the compatibility of my RSMs and they're working with me on it which is nice (probably because I have almost everything they offer for an E30).

BMW had two different 'suppliers' for E30 clusters- Motometer and VDO. However, internally they exchanged parts every now and then, so my spare VDO cluster actually had a good Motometer SI board that will work in the M3 cluster!

The refurbished SI boards are now $800, so I have been buying spare clusters to keep around for when I need to scavenge them for parts. A good M3 cluster just sold a few months back to the tune of $2200

You can still find busted E30 clusters here and there for cheap, though, which is nice.

I spent ~45mins with a cold chisel in the existing 'flex section' the other night to no avail, but I think you are right about cutting it fully down the side on the opposing side to relieve the remaining pressure keeping it stuck on there.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote