View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #34
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
Not that many people are doing this. I wrote this up for my STi cam install.

I searched and didn't find to much so I'm writing something up myself. My motor took a dump so I'm doing a 2.5 hybrid and I'm using STi cams. As you know STI cams can be used but the AVCS plugs need to filled. You can either weld them or plug them. I decided to plug them.

First you'll need some supplies

1. Eight (8) 5mmx5mm .8thread set screws

2. 5mm x.8 pictch tap

3. Red loctite

4. STi cams
5. Some grease
6. File
7. Carb cleaner
8. 2.5mm allen key

Step one.
Put some grease on the tap and run it down into each hole on the front side of the cam (4 on each cam.) Only the intake cams have these holes. Make sure that after each turn or so you back the tap out to clean off the filings.

Step two.
Make sure that all your holes are deep enough. The set screws want to be just below the surface of the cam. If they are deep enough you want to take the file and clean the face of the cam as when you tap it you'll pull material to the surface. Be carefull to not file the face of the cam to much.

Step three
Take the carb cleaner and clean all the holes with carb cleaner really well and make sure they are dry.

Step four.
Apply red loctite to the the threads of the set screws and screw them into the cam. Seat them just below the surface of the cam face.

Step five.
Enjoy.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote