View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #70
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

K04 is officially up and running!!! Install went pretty smooth with the exception of the turbo outlet pipe hitting the timing cover. Ended up having to clock the compressor housing a bit and it's still pressed up against it. I'll keep an eye on the coupling. I noticed today when putting the fender liner back in that I have 2 8mm triple squares left. Not sure where these went but I think one is for a bracket that is no longer used and the other I'm not sure. I'm going to review the install instructions and see if I can figure it out.

Install Tips:

-Not all K04 hardware kits come with the "thicker" washer that you need in order for the return coolant line to clear the plug on the CHRA. Luckily the guy that I bought the K04 from included it.

-It's very important that you have 2 washers on the oil feed, coolant feed and coolant return lines. One below the banjo and one above. So you need 6 of these washers. 4 are not as wide and I used them on the coolant lines. The 2 wider washers went on the oil line.

-Before installing the K04 check the orientation of the the outlet to make sure it matches the IHI. I had to pull it back off to adjust it. I thought tightening up the exhaust manifold would move it out enough but it didn't.

-I used about a gallon of coolant to get it back to the full mark. Make sure it's pink. My local Import parts shop gave me blue coolant which is BMW/Mercedes. Honest mistake as the part # that was written on the bottle was correct but the PN of the bottle was not.

-Install time was about 10 hours I'd say not including having to clock the housing. 1 hour of that is searching for **** that gets lost in the sub frame 😑.

-You can drive the car on Unitronic Stage 2 software it just won't run well at full boost.

Don't have many pictures. It's a pretty simple install as long as everything comes apart and nothing is seized.

I did end up cutting the bracket for the coolant return line. Made it fit better.

Unitronic UniConnect+ Software.

The car ****in moves!!!! It's in such a none dramatic fashion that it is deceivingly fast. Above 70 into the 100's it just keeps pulling.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote