View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #746
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
That looks like no fun but I'm not at all surprised that it's worth it. Big empty spaces! There's a reason modern cars use heavy plastic panels instead of that crappy stick on plastic sheeting for vapor barriers and such.
Yes indeed! Covering up the big holes with the sound deadening really help cut the low frequencies (like drone). I've found it also helps to put at least one small piece on a large piece of sheet metal to dampen vibration (like a door skin). The ensolite foam doesn't seem like it'll do much, but it really kills the high frequency bounce that occurs within the cabin.

Thankfully the Forester's door cards are easy to remove- just one screw and a few clips!

Unfortunately after fixing the valve cover gasket leaks I found a new leak, somewhere on the passenger side, back of block. The only thing over that way is the turbo, and nothing is leaking from up top. So it's either back of oil pan, turbo drain (low pressure), or external head gasket. My strategy: continue on as normal and take action if it gets worse. The PITA is that all of these leaks happen to be above the up pipe, and the smell of oil burning continues, sigh.

I found a shop selling an '08 STI Hatch outside of Nashville with a new engine/heads/clutch/etc for $15K which is a deal. I just can't bring myself to sell good ole Sam. For whatever reason, I am attached.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote