TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
TROLL's Lifted '97 Jeep Wrangler - I'm 5 Years Old Playing with Monster Trucks

In college my friend got a brand new Wrangler and I remember thinking it was the most fun vehicle I have ever cruised around in, its all the fun of a truck and all the fun of a convertible in one.

I talked about getting one for a long time, not entirely seriously, but the situation presented itself where I could reasonably justify another vehicle, and I decided to get a Wrangler since I live in FL now and its top-down weather year round.

A little backstory: I was dailying my Subaru and all was well, but had an unexpected engine failure in Feb. 2013, and well, that rebuild has become a complete overhaul and has dragged on and on. Going to come back together with a built motor and a revamped header/turbo setup but what I'm trying to say is: Its been almost a year and although I'm getting there, its still not done.

Initially I just was dailying the Supra while trying to hurry up and get the Subaru back on the road but a variety of delays and setbacks it had become 2, 4, and then 6 months of having the Supra as my only transportation. Between racking up the miles, not being able to do work on it, and having to park it places like downtown West Palm Beach and overnight at the airport, I wasn't very happy.

So in August I bought a 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L that wasn't perfect but was in good solid shape overall, just small projects that needed to be done. It was also the absolute cheapest TJ 4.0L on the market, and a very good value overall.
Totally stock aside from 32x11.5x15 BFG Mud Tires on 15x12 Eagle Alloy Wheels which I knew wasn't a good combo and I wanted to change as well as a 2" budget boost and a 2" body lift, things I also wanted to change.

It is such an incredible contrast to the Supra and Subaru that its really a ton of fun. Low clearance is a non-issue, in fact I drive over stuff sometimes just for the fun of it and I don't have to worry about manhole covers, steep driveways, or anything else like that. I'm one of the highest vehicles on the road which is also kinda cool. The thing drives like a truck though, the shifter is long and slow, and the Jeep is just pretty slow all around.
At the same time when I get in the Supra again I feel like my ass is an inch off the ground and the throttle response and handling are unbelievable. I don't think I've ever appreciated that car as much as I do now that I daily something so different than it.

First day home

4" of clearance at the garage door, enough to get it inside to do work

I immediately replaced the ancient soft top that was on it as well as the rusting upper door frames and got a handful of other fixer upper parts like an antenna, brake handle, etc. that were broken.

soft top swap

Some of the electronics were also failing, likely due to water exposure from the top off... I lucked out and there's a place called SouthEast Jeeps 15 mins from me who parts out TJ Wranglers full time and they have every part imaginable. I got new front speakers from them, a new wiper motor, wiper switch, cruise control switch, and airbag since the horn didn't work. I got bump stops from them since they were missing, and body plugs since those were missing as well.

ok, now I'm liking this

I try to remember to throw the cover on, but when it rains a lot its still a challenge to get 20 gallons of water out of it and keep myself and the Jeep dry

I leave the top off a lot, sometimes I regret that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 01-02-2014 at 01:33 PM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote