Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #48
rebelalliance
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #21777

My Ride:
1975 Porsche 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
Unless you were there in person, you are not in a position to say 100% what happened. We can all theorize, and it might be pretty close, but no one should be talking like they are all-knowing about this when the info we have is all second and third-hand, or even worse, heard on the internet.

It sounds like the dude made a bad judgement call. He slipped and fell... sometimes you recover and move on, but unfortunately this time he got hurt. Everyone has made a bad judgement in a car at some point, whether it was modified or stock... some are close calls that you get away with but every once in a while you really get it up the butt.

From what the dude said, its pretty calm and respectable IMO. He owned up to what he did and there's really nothing else about it... the car is F'd and he's going to have to deal with that. I'm not surprised that thousands of internet strangers who weren't there are acting as his his relentless judge and jury, but they're wrong for doing it.

Directly relating to this situation, I remember driving to The Sonic Meet 2009 in my Supra, I had only had it on the road for a short while at that point. It was raining on and off and the roads were wet. I was lightly accelerating from a stoplight in 2nd gear, maybe 30-40% throttle at most. I could have shifted to 3rd but I didn't, I just felt like staying in 2nd holding the throttle steady. Around 4000 rpm the turbo wants to spool and even though my throttle didn't move, boost started creeping up and my tires broke loose... again this was at light throttle. Nothing exciting happened and it wasn't some violent full throttle spinning, my car stayed straight and most people probably didn't even notice but it definitely caught me off guard and made me more aware of my vehicle.
I'm sure plenty of RWD guys with decent power can relate to this... you have to really watch yourself in the rain. Its 100% possible to not spin of course and I don't have an issue with it in any way, but as someone new to RWD and the powerband of the car it caught me off guard.
I was of course coming from an AWD vehicle which I can appreciate much more now that I also own a RWD vehicle.

You are totally out of touch, man. You are saying there were $9,000 used TT Supras in the late 90s sitting on lots because nobody wanted them... just think about that.

You ig'nant.

You've clearly never been a part of the Supra community... of course I don't want to generalize as there is a wide variety of owners out there but MANY of them are a bit older, more mature and calm, and very very helpful and friendly. I was really amazed and impressed with this when I started getting active in the community.

Again, talking out of your bum. I wish it was that easy to get a loan for a Supra, it would make them all worth more money. Like you weren't at the scene of the accident, like you never saw a $9,000 TT Supra for sale in the late 90s, like you've never been a part of the Supra community to know anything about us, you also don't know much about how auto loans work.

Not that it should really matter, but if I ever did decide to sell my Supra, it will be for quite a bit of profit. There are some other types of car owners out there that can say the same, but its certainly not too common to be able to say that. You don't act like a true car enthusiast at all... if you did you would appreciate the car for what it is, but you're just silly and narrow-minded.

You do a lot of talking about nothing. Facts:

4500RPM @ 12psi + third = enough load for 350hp or so out of a 700hp car. That's enough generated load, and speed, even 3k or so in third gear to be well above the speed limit and getting into it.

35mph divided road with people all over on each side, during a season of historic rain and flooding.

Kid, i'm 30. I almost bought a Supra in the late 90's when I was young because they were under 10 grand and all over. You know why you are making a profit? A movie. A Supra sucks ass compared to anything with a Solid axle and V8 for drag racing, and they do not even handle that well.

You might not remember that because it was when Windows 98 was all the rage and before the fast and furious movies sparked your interest in cars.

Just buck up and admit it you joined the status club over a movie, and that your buddy screwed the pooch and almost made national news for wiping out a condo.

Additionally, your turbo does not just spool, if you have your throttle valve cracked open minimally, you can stay in vacuum just fine. The larger the turbo, the more load required to produce boost..... SO the bigger the turbo the more retarded you have to be to put your foot down in the rain and then say you were not ****ing around.

You are clearly living in the Supraverse, where the Supra adheres to another set of physics and standards. In the Supraverse, people who do not know what to do in a rwd car when it loses traction often say they reacted properly by hitting the gas while hydroplaning and doing other things anyone with actual real driving experience knows is a recipe for disaster.

Also known as, too much car, too little brain.
rebelalliance is offline   Reply With Quote