View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #38
jschristian44
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17143

My Ride:
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

how to sand easily

to anyone doing this sort of paint job let me speak from my first experience. i did all white body with a black hood and trunk lid. the black looked semi decent but the white was too flat. anyways, when you go through to your sanding every other 2 coats or so, get a medium grit sanding sponge. forget using numbered sandpaper with blocks, etc. get a sanding sponge made for drywall and use that. you can even use them wet too, but i like using them dry. for the final coats and before buffing it out to a shine, use a super fine if you can find it, if not get a fine grit, and sand it using wet probably. if you cant use wet, dry would probably be fine. just make sure you wash it off the dust and squeegee the water so you can see if you got it all flat. the key to the shine is getting it flat. just thought i'd share my experience with the sanding, because it's the hardest part to this paint job. painting and buffing is somewhat fun i think. i used a roller and i speak from experience the finish will turn out much nicer than a spray paint, unless you got a compressor and air gun then thats the best. air compressor/gun > roller > rattle can.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote