Old 08-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
I think there are a few factors that have played into the downswing of TST.

The biggest factor, in my opinion, is the rise of social media. When TST started, there was no FB or IG, or other sites to mindless scroll through all day subconsciously. A lot of people headed to forums to pass the time at work or at home, and as a means to communicate with others in the area or with similar interests. Social media has done a great job at making this accessible to the masses, and its taken a chunk out of forum activity as a whole, especially those that aren't specialized in one specific hobby/interest.

The Spring Meet was an amazing event and always had a really positive impact for longtime members as well as new members and visitors. The event, for better or worse, because so successful that its size made it nearly impossible to find a venue for. The meet was historically free to attend, and then we shifted to a $5 per car admission cost, but expenses to hold the event at a venue that could hold the 2500+ cars we had was getting exorbitantly expensive. We busted our butts looking and found some potentially awesome spots, but just couldn't find a good balance of a proper venue at a reasonable cost. The Spring Meet, which was a 0 profit, all money donated to charity event was able to give $50k to charity in total over the years we held it and thats something to be really proud of. No one is more disappointed than I am about not holding it any longer.

And yes, I did move to FL, but did and have continued to operate the site just the same as always. I can't personally attend meets, but that was never really a part of effectively running the site. My activity has lessened, and I don't lead by example by contributing as regularly as I used to, and maybe thats a factory as well, but I know of many forums where the owner is non-existent to the public eye.

And I think the car scene has changed and turned over, maybe a couple times by now. I won't say if its for better or for worse, but I think the trends in the car scene now are far different than what they were 12 years ago when TST was started, and the difference between old and new might play in a bit here as well.

Just putting some thoughts out there... but if anyone is interested in getting involved at any level to try and get the ball rolling again here and see if we can pick up some speed and get old members back to check it out and new members interested, message me. Running TST has been incredibly challenging at times, but it has been great for the local community in a lot of ways, and its been a really positive thing overall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote