View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Vez
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #8445

My Ride:
2007 UGM Subaru Impreza WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I don't have the supporting documentation, but I believe that the white lines they use are what local cops can use to determine speed. I'm not sure about the range, but for radar in PA, you have to be going at least 6 miles over the speed limit for them to give you a ticket. The guns are calibrated +/- 5mph hence the need to be going 6mph over for them to give you a ticket. (Don't quote me on this one, though).

They can give you a ticket for going 1mph over the speed limit if they are pacing you in their car since that is "supposedly" perfectly calibrated. lol I don't know how long they have to follow you for nor do I know how closely they need to be when following you...all of which can cause a significant shift in accuracy.

For a -PA Vechile Code- violation, they need the decibel meter... :P

In PA, there is no RPM specification/requirement when performing the measurement, so you can throw it in 5th/6th gear and cruise on by to easily pass the test. :P

I've called the State Police in Schwenksville, and they didn't have any of the EQ to do the measurement nor did they know of anyone who did! I'm still calling around to local places that do inspections (my dealer didn't have the EQ nor did ICY Phoenix Racing), but I doubt I'll find any there. The decibel meters needed to meet the PA requirements for EQ type run about $4000, so finding one in a local garage is doubtful. The cop suggested that I try a local VoTech school and pointed out that the person doing the measurement need only be "properly trained" and thus does not need to be a cop.

Last edited by Vez; 12-01-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Vez is offline   Reply With Quote