View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #687
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I tried without a proper TPS. Don't waste your time It works, but it's a PITA. Maybe on a big lazy V8 with an automatic trans it would be OK... but meh. Not worth the hassle of trying to make it drive smoothly and idle smoothly and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
My experience with megasquirt has been quite good actually. The key for me was getting my VE maps good. Essentially, get your car to start okay (you wont get it perfect until your VE map is good so dont waste to much time on startup/idle). Setup your target AFRs and base timing. Go out and let the squirt autotune. Keep autotuning until its not making big changes.

TPS signal is not all that important for speed density tuning if I recall. Other than knowing when to switch from closed to open loop, I don't think it matters much. If your going to tune in alpha or ITB mode then it is all that matters.

I would not call myself an expert so take my advice as such.
Oh yeah I'm definitely doing the M50 TPS and ditching the stock one. And yeah, I'm running speed density until I get my ITBs setup, at which point I'll be just alpha n, so I figured getting the settings in MS early on with the right TPS will be worthwhile. Plus it totally changes your ability to tune accel enrichment tables if you don't have an on/off throttle position switch haha.

And yeah I've heard of several people running into issues with not setting the VE tables properly. There is a very smart fellow who has built a few very powerful n/a E30s on another forum who helped me spec my cam. When it's all up and running I'm going to have him help me set that up. I also have a thread where several guys with very similar setups share all of their mapping, so I'll have a good place to start!

I bought another parts car today. It's a 130K mile 1990 325iS. It was a beautiful car before it was wrecked. I also picked up wheels for the M3! I've been looking since I got the car and finally found a mint set of E38 style 5s (same wheels I filled/drilled for Linda). Thankfully these just bolt right up to the M3, no funny business. Will be running a 225/45, likely another RT615K+ because they're affordable and have treated me very well so far on the iS.

blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote