View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Shoolig
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5623

My Ride:
C6

I've never had trouble with Hans, I buy parts from him whenever I need anything and he did some work on my 300ZX before (downpipes to be specific) he charged 200 bucks for installation and even helped me splice a bad 02 sensor with a used Skyline sensor he had laying around.

Hans is responsible for about 80% of the OEM parts used in my friends 3000GT twin turbo conversion, he always gave him good prices and good condition stuff.

He has had my friends 3000GT (black one for sale) in and out in less than 3 days for a new waterpump including waiting on parts to arrive, he was able to track down the reason the fan wasn't kicking on either after the TT swap (pins in TT ecu are different than N/A for fan relay) and hot wired it so he could make it home ok.

Chances are the 3000GT you bought from Hans is nicer than about 60% of TT 3000GT's you'll find for sale... excluding 3si.org since they know their cars and maintain them properly. My first 3KGT VR4 spun a bearing less than 2000 miles of driving, I WAS FURIOUS, but, I should've expected it considering the engine had 9x,xxx miles on it.

My friend Chris's car also spun a bearing while it was N/A and he is a maint. FREAK, he is on the 3rd engine now, 2nd transmission, 4th clutch, 3rd alternator, 3rd starter, 12 sets of plugs (at least lol), 2 water pumps. Only thing original in the car is the radiator, wiring harness, carpet/dash, body parts and glass, steering wheel/turn signal thingy, and seat belts.

Unless you get really lucky (or buy a 3/S from an enthusiast) expect a 3000GT to have one or more of the following:

Broken active aero
Probably one turbo ready to take a poop, usually the back.
An oil leak from somewhere.
Beat side bolster
Grind 1 or more gears (often, or, on occasion)
Poorly maintained timebomb for an engine.
In dire need of a 60 or 120k.
Mild to moderate lifter tick
ECS that doesn't work
Probably 1 slow window (or vertical scratching on it)
1 or more missing exhaust tips
Active exhaust actuator seized
Rattly TOB
Among a few other things.

If it runs and drives and I doesn't spin a bearing, I call it a win.

As you can see, I don't expect much in a used car... but... buyer be warned if you don't know how to remove a transmission or replace a turbo DO NOT buy a 3/S TT, they need a lot of attention- they're very nice cars when working properly but they do need attention, and, even the nicest ones break.

You bought a 3000GT, expect to replace a part or fix an issue every one-two months.

I know the 3000GT you bought probably was bought my Hans with a bad motor, and, recieved the stronger 4 bolt and was brought back to life. It's a really good starting point and for around 5,000 dollars considering the motor plus labor would cost close to that if you ever had to replace it (including labor). If you buy a used car there is absolutely no warranty, it sucks but I've read your thread- and the problems with the car aren't really that bad- I'd just fix it and enjoy it.

If you lived closer I wouldn't even mind lending a serious hand, I don't mind working on them... I do it at least once a month anyway haha.