View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #751
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
Yeah, its pretty crazy.

My Sti has honestly been pretty good with oil consumption. Subaru make great cars, but I am not sure how they haven't figured the whole oil / headgasket thing out.

Maybe its time they ditch the flat 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man are their regular FA engines using oil like that?!? My BRZ drank maybe half a quart every 5k and I drove the piss out of it, and everyone else I know with twins didn't have oil consumption issues... They still spun rod bearings though, lol
It seems to be hit or miss with the FAs. And it makes no sense, as the engines are all similar internally from what I understand. Subaru has been experimenting with low friction ring design for efficiency purposes, and most newer cars call for 0w20 which is just so thin. Another buddy builds Subaru engines for R/T and we spoke years ago about oil choice, and how even 5w30 wasn't thicc enough for the EJ25. Seems to be a common theme. Soft bearings, thin oil, etc.

The 2.5i (non-XT) Foresters use oil like crazy. And even though it makes little sense, the manual cars use a significant amount more. I have a good buddy who works as a Service Advisor at a popular Subaru dealership here in Indy and it is shocking the amount of oil their new stuff is using. Most of the turbo cars are fine, though. Ironically enough! (I know that doesn't apply for the BRZ though, Doc).

It was enough to steer me away from getting an '18 2.5i Premium Forester (last year of the 6MT). I figured the internet was blowing it out of proportion like usual, but I've confirmed it with different dealerships where I know folks. Who knows!

My Forester drank oil (even T6) until I got tipped off by my 65 year old machinist who loves Subarus. He told me to try the European blend Mobil 1 0w40. Sure enough, one I started using that oil, I stopped burning it almost all together. Don't know why, also don't care to know haha. Now if I could get it to stop leaking.....

Edit: and I'm sure you guys heard about the class action oil burning lawsuit

https://www.classlawgroup.com/subaru...ction-lawsuit/

Last edited by blue91lx; 12-02-2019 at 10:00 PM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote