Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutobahnRacer View Post
IIRC Manufacture Keys only work with their discs. Example, A Dell or Asus Key will not work with a Retail Copy of Windows, you have to use the Dell or Asus (depending on your laptop manufacture) Windows Disc.

Best Series SSD when I bought mine a few months ago is the M4 series. The write speed is slower, but you shouldn't constantly be writing to a SSD anyway. Get a 60 or 80 GB SSD for Windows, Anti-Virus and maybe Office and thats it. The rest goes on a standard platter drive.
This is pretty much true. OEM discs are usually hard coded to only work with certain devices. Plus, you wouldn't want to put Vista back on it anyway.

You have a couple of options now. You can find yourself a hacked version of XP (like Performance edition) and use that, or find a cheap copy of Windows 7, that shouldn't be too hard either. Though I'd hope your notebook has at least 2 GBs of ram or Windows 7 is going to lag something wicked.

Also, go ahead and buy yourself a cheap 500GB external HD and start using that as a backup. Schedule a Windows back up once a week or once a every 2 weeks to that external that way this won't happened again.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote