View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #48
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Small update. I bought a DEI soft chirp siren from eBay a while back and finally decided to install it. From the factory the GTI comes with 2 regular horns and one alarm horn. The alarm horn is what goes off when you lock the car. Well since it is a horn it is rather loud and annoying. It's not like most cars where you press once for silent lock and twice for confirmation, it always honks when locked unless you disable it with VCDS or OBD11. One of the first things I did when I got the car was to turn that feature off. So for a while it has been disabled but I do like having a confirmation sound. I discovered through the forums that you can just wire in a soft chirp siren in place of the alarm horn and problem solved. So I got work on it this past weekend and am very pleased with the results.

The factory alarm horn is mounted in the fender well toward the cowling. It is a tight fit with the siren since it is much bigger then the stock disc horn so I mounted the siren in the bumper behind the fog light. I ended up removing one of the 2 regular horns and modifying the bracket to mount the siren. This was kinda by mistake as I thought the horn behind the fog light was the alarm horn (no the car just has a low and high regular horn). So after locating the correct horn I just left the siren mounted in the bumper and routed the wires over to the alarm connector. Soldered and heat shrunk all my connections so it should hold up great.

Here is the stock bracket.

I ended up just cutting off the one section and welding a piece of 1/8 stock to the mounting bracket.

Painted it so it didn't rust and tapped 2x 10-24 holes to mount the siren. Ignore the welds, it had been a while lol.

All mounted and ready to go.

Sounds sooooo much nicer. The video is not working on my end but here is a link.
https://i.imgur.com/dhyKroal.mp4

Video:

Overall a very cheap effective mod. The siren cost like $10 off eBay and I already had the other supplies.

Still piecing together my clutch. I have the throw out bearing, clutch plate and the pressure plate is on it's way. Still need the flywheel, rear main seal, hardware and miscellaneous tools (transmission jack, engine support bar, 24mm triple square). I am seriously contemplating adding an LSD while the transmission is out. Might call a shop to see how much it would cost with me giving them the transmission.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote