View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #647
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Selling kinda sucks anymore. Seems like you have to get through 10+ people lowballing/playin games and then one day someone will just come and buy it full asking. At least that's how my last few have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Selling is a crap shoot anymore, in my experience. People neither know what they want nor have reasonable expectations.
I couldn't agree more. I feel like 90% of the folks who ask for more information know deep down from the get-go that they aren't seriously interested, but for some reason will go as far as scheduling a showing or even coming out for a test drive only to offer you half of your asking price (and if accepted, still back out).

I used to have the "show up and pay full asking price" happen more often, but for some reason it really seems like folks are:

1) holding onto their money quite a bit tighter
2) offering WAY less than what is considered even low market value.

Mike Brewer and the rest of the internet has everyone convinced that every car is a flip and there is absolutely no reason to pay someone even close to asking price in the name of "shrewd negotiation" or whatever you learn on YouTube about buying exotic cars from VinWiki.

I sell different than most, apparently....when I sell a car every system is brought up to spec, described/photographed honestly/accurately, etc. Aka I price my cars aggressively AND fix them in hopes to have an easier, transparent sale.

But I'm learning that it's only a like minded buyer that sees this and realizes the value in what he/she is buying.

In the same respect, I have noticed that values have gone UP a ton for cars that need work and aren't described properly, while clean, complete examples (what I sell) have gone down. There used to be three categories- fair, good, excellent. What I have seen in my specific markets is that there are now only two categories- fair and good.

Folks (somehow) don't see the value in paying $2K more for a car that's had $5K+ in essential maintenance done. They'll buy a $5K car and put $5K into it instead of buying my finished, detailed, sorted example for $7K.

Who knows- rant over

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
The cars are all looking so fresh and clean!! The BMWs look fantastic!
Thanks, man!

Also, picking up this beast tomorrow for a (hopefully) quick flip. Another manual, V8 E34 Touring. Car has had a slew of recent maintenance and is rust free. 10x nicer than the last manual 530iT I had that I sold for 3x what I'm getting this for.

530iT by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 05-09-2019 at 05:13 PM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote