View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Sunday night thru Wednesday night were spent tracking down exhaust and boost leaks. This ultimately led to pulling the manifold, turbo, downpipe, etc, off the car. Being that the car wasn't designed for a turbo and space is at a premium, it's proving to be quite frustrating to get things done. Like all cars, though, it's just a matter of learning the platform and learning the tricks to getting things done.

More pictures. I pulled the intake off and was feeling things out around the turbo. Found a hole in the silicone elbow on the compressor outlet because it was riding on the driveshaft flange. I don't think the wastegate was hooked up to the compressor. The vacuum/boost hoses above the turbo desperately need cleaned up. Part of it is because it has an electronic boost controller that I'll be ditching. I also need to move the coolant reservoir to get rid of the coolant lines atop the turbo. There was an exhaust leak between the head and manifold. Space is limited, but the turbo kit has pretty bad fitment in certain spots such as the compressor outlet. The wastegate recirc will be ditched in favor of a dump tube. The recirc tube makes removing the downpipe, or working around the downpipe, almost impossible. The wastegate is going to dump out the hood to make things easy. The last MS paint picture shows what the issue is with the compressor outlet. Not sure what I'll do about that yet.

IMG_6054 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6055 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6056 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6059 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6061 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6064 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6068 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6070 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6072 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_6074 by Pat, on Flickr
turbo kit fitment by Pat, on Flickr

Last edited by mckpat03; 05-11-2017 at 08:43 AM.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote