View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #725
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
do i recall some mod about drilling out the impact cylinders and pushing the bumper in as a "cheap euro conversion"
Yessir- you can also use '88 bumper shocks for a "mild tuck", as they're about an inch shorter if that's your thing, or you can drill into the shocks to relieve the pressure in there and just push the bumper all of the way in. IMO, the tucked bumpers never look right, so I've never done it. It's what you'd do to your car if you're 18, got an E30 for $1200 and don't have any money to mod it, so you tuck your bumpers

It's not very well accepted, and I don't think it looks right due to the bumper only being a front piece, not wrapping the sides of the valance like euro bumpers or late model plastic bumpers (which don't fit at all). Thus you have the trim on the sides that throws everything off with the bumper tucked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
After looking at the 2 side by side, i really like the look of the euro bumpers.
They look great!

1988 cars are cool, because they got late model valances front and rear, but early model metal bumpers.

So you can convert a 1988 car to plastic bumpers with just plastic bumpers and their respective mounting hardware.

1987 and down (like my black car), however, the valances are totally different and thus it's not a possibility to do the plastic bumpers, which is why the Euro bumpers are the popular option, albeit expensive, normally bent/rusty, and hard to find.

The early model (1987 and down) cars also had higher rear arches, so they look really good/unique with the euro bumpers, compared to a late model car. It's a really nice differentiation.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote