Old 12-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
JoeScooby
Tri-State Addict

Member #345

My Ride:
2004 JPB Subaru WRX Sedan

Send a message via ICQ to JoeScooby Send a message via AIM to JoeScooby
ECU Reset - Performance Recovery

After every engine modification you should reset your ECU.

I beleive this is actually called the Shiv ECU reset.

To reset your ECU: 1. disconnect the negative terminal on the battery; 2. pump the brakes a few times to get the few remainging electrons out of the system; 3. reconnect the battery; and 4. start the car and let it idle for a few minutes.

After you rest the ECU, your car is going to perform in a degraded manner as it will have lost its memory. Shiv of Vishnu tuning offers the following advice to recover performance:

Just a little trick that has been shown to accelerate the factory ECU's ignition timing learning process.

Background: There is something called "Ignition Advance Multiplier". It represents, by some complicated algorithm, the average learned positive knock correction applied to the ignition maps. It's represented in 1/8th degrees increments. 1 being the lowest and 16 being the highest (1/8 to 2 degrees in absolute terms).

The "happier" (knock free) the car is, the higher the number will be. Conversely, the lower it is, the more knock prone it is. This number, after ECU reset ore ECU swap defaults to 8 and usually creeps up to 16 (if well mapped) through normal driving. Depending on driving characteristics, this can happen within a few hours or a few weeks. Well, here's a way to make it happen in about 5 seconds ....

First: With the car fully warmed up, reset the ECU. This can be done by killing power the ECU or by simply pulling off the neg. battery terminal and pressing the brake pedal for a couple of seconds.

Second: Drive to a nice open road without traffic. Don't go on boost until you get there. Put the car into gear (3rd gear works the best) bring the revs up to 2600rpm. Push the go pedal down slightly so boost stays right around 2-4psi. You will need to MAINTAIN 2500rpm and 2-5psi for approx 5 seconds. You can do this by left-foot braking gently as to prevent acceleration. During these few seconds, the advance multiplier (which you can't see so you'll have to trust me) will go from 8, to 12 and then to 16. Works like a charm. And on our reflashed ECU, is worth an immediate 10-20 horsepower

In an attempt to save a lot of dyno time between reflashes (when the advance multiplier resets itself), I do this little trick after every reflash. In a typical dyno session, it's not unusual to reflash the same car up to 5 times. On the dyno, all I need to do is tell the dyno to hold revs to 2600rpm. Then I just lay on the throttle until I see a few psi of boost... Bingo!

Warning: This little trick artificially speeds up the learning process. This is only a good thing if the re-mapped ECU is mapped properly. If there are trouble-spots where knock is present, this trick will make it even more present. So be careful!

Thanks to Mr X over at WRXFanatics.com for the info!
2014 Outback
2014 STi Hatch
2013 Yukon SLT

Last edited by JoeScooby; 12-05-2005 at 12:58 PM.
JoeScooby is offline   Reply With Quote