Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
JoeScooby
Tri-State Addict

Member #345

My Ride:
2004 JPB Subaru WRX Sedan

Send a message via ICQ to JoeScooby Send a message via AIM to JoeScooby
Up-Pipe Gutting

Please do not blame me for any damage done to your turbo from leftover Cat material because you are blind. REMEMBER FEDERAL OFFENCE

**** The catalyst material may be carcinogenic (causes cancer) **** do this outside, with a fine dust mask, or respirator... for your safety.

this project will take A LOT of work & I recommend 3 things... A spare up-pipe, some muscle, & an hour or MORE!

this does NOT include the 2+ hours to get the pipe out of the car in the first place!!!

I was lucky enough to find an uppipe used for less than $60 bucks... new with cat aprox. $500.00 from dealer

Make a very mental note or measurement on the angle of the Exhaust Gas Temp. sensor it will make it easier latter when you put it back in...

If you opt. to not put in the EGT probe back in, plug the hole with a M12x1.25 bolt less than an inch long (cut if necessary) & use a 2.2k ohm 1/2 watt resistor where the sensor plugged into.

After removing EGT sensor, start by drilling a series of holes in the "Cat" until you are sure you can't get any more in it...

The cat is nearly 1-1/2" thick or more... !!! drill the hole closer to the center than this (you'll see why) !!!

NEXT... the big screwdriver & hammer...

This will take some time to peck away at this until the cat starts to come apart... once the center starts to come apart you might get this...

... a chunk too large to come out the other end. This SUCKS!!! After some more work & possible swearing you'll get this...

pliers (or needle nose preferably) to pull chunks out as you can... Once you get it all out & scrape the pipe till NOTHING is left.

When I say NOTHING I mean it... the cost of a new turbo is around $1000 (under $200 used usually). DO NOT ASSUME THAT IT IS GOOD ENOUGH !!! Look in the pipe, shake the pipe, tap on it... If you mess this up the dealer isn't going to be you friend because a little peice came loose & munched the turbo... I'm not trying to scare you, but give you reality... You can now put it back in the car...

( I chose to really go to town on the internals... a little wire brushing till it shined )

the little "ribs" are from the factory for better bonding of the cat.

Of all the areas the EGT bung will be the worst to work around ( bent screwdrivers help)

Your car will be happy to have this potential problem GONE...!!! best of luck... don't say I didn't warn ya.

Some of the tools I used are:

12" long, 1/4" drill bit extension (similar to Sears #00920920000, but cheaper)

12" long, 1/4" drill bit (similar to Sears #00966060000, but cheaper)

Big long screw driver, big old hammer, small wire brush that would fit into the uppipe & had a 1/4" shank...

Thanks to GLWagon

Now remember to MAKE SURE ALL CATALYST IS REMOVED, you dont want the turbo injesting a nice chunk of cancer.
2014 Outback
2014 STi Hatch
2013 Yukon SLT

Last edited by JoeScooby; 11-30-2005 at 09:24 PM.
JoeScooby is offline   Reply With Quote