Member #345

My Ride:
2004 JPB Subaru WRX Sedan

Send a message via ICQ to JoeScooby Send a message via AIM to JoeScooby
Intake Silencer Removal AKA Snorkelectomy

This is a fairly simple mod, so here it is:

Tools: flat-head screwdriver, ratchet/sockets (I think metric), open end wrench

Estimated time: 30/40 minutes

First, take off the air scoop by removing the two bolts holding it on in the front, and pulling the rear end off of the intake silencer. Then, remove this nut. Now for the hard part - remove the front passenger wheel and begin to remove the plastic clips holding on the fender lining. Use a flat-head to pry out the center (screw-like) part of these clips, then the outer (claw-like) part. They won't come out if you try to take the whole thing out at once. Take out all the clips to the right of the brakes, and also remove the little plastic panel directly below the headlights (this directs air to the brakes for cooling). When you have done all this, pull back the fender lining, exposing the "snorkus". Make sure you remove these clips before you remove the lining, or they will break. When you can see the intake silencer, remove the nut and bolt on the right side. Then, simply pull the whole thing out. You might have to remove the air filter and push from the inside of the airbox. Put everything back together (minus the intake silencer, of course) and you're done! Some people prefer to buy the rubber plug from the RS models to plug up the hole where the scoop met the intake silencer. That way, only cold air is drawn from the fender. Personally, I re-attached the scoop and left the hole open so there is never a shortage of air. Enjoy your new, cooler-sounding intake. You may also want to purchase the GP moto intake elbo if you want to keep your "False ram air tube"

Thanks to Matt over at Irregardless.us Otherwise known as Irregardless WRX
2014 Outback
2014 STi Hatch
2013 Yukon SLT

Last edited by JoeScooby; 11-30-2005 at 09:29 PM.
JoeScooby is offline   Reply With Quote