TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My first jury duty (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95184)

Omar_MSP 03-03-2010 01:33 AM

My first jury duty

how random, just got the letter... da hell? lol i guess i gotta do my thing. i never did it before. first time :-p

P_856 03-03-2010 01:40 AM

they got me last year bring a couple magazine most of the time u just sit in a room and wait for your number to get called most likely you wont get called and just have to wait the whole time, but my number got called at the very end and i was juror # 6 after 5 people in front of me bs their way to get out of it after sitting there for half an hr one of the lawyers deiced to dismiss me i guess he didnt want a young kid on there lol

Got Insulin? 03-03-2010 01:50 AM

I'm 21 and for some reason or another, I've gotten JD once every year since I turned 18. The first time my case got dismissed, the second time I spent 8hrs squished between two massive Albanian women with B.O. that could have killed a horse and a dying iPod after getting drenched walking from the El, but at least there was food there that time. I just got hit up again for one on March 1, but since I go to school out of state, I got out of it. Schwing.

But just bring your iPod, some snacks, and a decent book and be ready to hunker down for a while. Some people are in and out, some people stay all day. It is an experience though.

Omar_MSP 03-03-2010 01:50 AM

good advice lol, well im 23 and i hope they see me grown up lol. ima be pissed for waiting but, hey, ima get paid none the less lol

superskaterxes 03-03-2010 01:54 AM

i learned about JD in my business law class. they ask you a buncha like legal/moral opinionated questions and if you answer them all dishonestly/ridiculously then they wont pick u lol

Omar_MSP 03-03-2010 02:14 AM

well... im an honest person... ionno what they'll ask but, im be truthful

DPancoast 03-03-2010 02:19 AM

ive never been summoned *knock on wood*

Omar_MSP 03-03-2010 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPancoast (Post 1664675)
ive never been summoned *knock on wood*

your time will come :-p:-p:-p

Got Insulin? 03-03-2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar_MSP (Post 1664671)
well... im an honest person... ionno what they'll ask but, im be truthful

It's stuff like:
-Do you trust police officers?
-Racial bias stuff

They're just trying to figure out if you're the level-headed, average, prudent person that they're looking for. It's kinda neat.

Omar_MSP 03-03-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Insulin? (Post 1664685)
It's stuff like:
-Do you trust police officers?
-Racial bias stuff

They're just trying to figure out if you're the level-headed, average, prudent person that they're looking for. It's kinda neat.

thanks man, glad to know something im in for, much appreciated :wink:

JSpecV03 03-03-2010 03:16 AM

ive gotten in twice in once in bucks and once in montgomery. just like everyone else said, its boring and can be a long day if they pick you. i can even imagine what the people who were jurrors at the oj simpson trail felt like, that was like a year long

05suby 03-03-2010 04:58 AM

i got summoned one time but i told them no because i dont believe in the court system so i never got anything back to show up or whatever. thats how i got out of it. i see it as a waste of my time. i have better things to do, like sleep or work. i have the rest of my career to sit in court rooms when i start it, not now.

c0nfl1kt 03-03-2010 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05suby (Post 1664719)
i got summoned one time but i told them no because i dont believe in the court system so i never got anything back to show up or whatever. thats how i got out of it. i see it as a waste of my time. i have better things to do, like sleep or work. i have the rest of my career to sit in court rooms when i start it, not now.

Wait, you're going to work in the court system but don't believe in it? :bigeek:

05suby 03-03-2010 09:09 AM

nah i just said that so i didnt get asked to go in. i wont be going to work in the court system but i will have to be there at times since im going to try and get into either the fbi, dea, or us marshals. i'd rather spend my day working or sleeping then sitting in the court room wasting time on something that doesnt involve me.

**Alex** 03-03-2010 09:12 AM

Last month I was picked for grand jury duty and I have to go every Friday up until the end of May. I actually like it I've gotten some insurance fraud, drunk driving, parole violation, resisting arrest (with video footage lol), child abuse, stalking, defacating in public and some others soo far. What sucks is that before hearing each case they have to read to you each law and what it entails. So you hear about the law for 45 mins and you then hear the actual case for like 20. I just facebook it or text during the law part lol. I pay attention for most of it. Plus lately they've been letting us out early. Go in at 9 and get out by 12 or 1. Better than bein at work. My job pays me for day and I make that baller $5 a day for jury service.

05suby 03-03-2010 09:21 AM

hahaha $5 a day. what a joke.

Got Insulin? 03-03-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05suby (Post 1664761)
hahaha $5 a day. what a joke.

We're lucky they pay us at all. It's your civic duty to be there. Everyone whines about not seeing their tax dollars at work, but there they are. Most occupations will cover you for JD, the least we can do is show up, be honest, and help the system work. If everybody took your attitude, our justice system would be in worse shape than it is now and we'd have no input from our peers. It's really a shame people feel this way.

ThePrimerSuspect 03-03-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Insulin? (Post 1665628)
We're lucky they pay us at all. It's your civic duty to be there. Everyone whines about not seeing their tax dollars at work, but there they are. Most occupations will cover you for JD, the least we can do is show up, be honest, and help the system work. If everybody took your attitude, our justice system would be in worse shape than it is now and we'd have no input from our peers. It's really a shame people feel this way.

haha civic duty..............what a ****in joke. the one AND ONLY time i ever went to jury duty i almost got locked up for contempt lol. this asshole judge kept us in the jury room for 4 or 5 hours, no lunch break (but we got to watch them bring buckets of fried chicken in for another jury), didnt even start calling jurors until almost 6 o'clock, then couldnt believe i had the "audacity" to give her an attitude on the stand. i didnt even get my $9 check for the day cause the office that hands them out was closed when i got out of the building at 7. got another notice the following year that went right in the trash. and another one the following year. **** it, they can come lock me up before i ever serve jury duty again.

CleanNeon98 03-04-2010 01:22 AM

I have to be in there in July, cause apparently they caught the kid that broke into my car. Gonna be a looong and useless day since he's a minor and won't get punished properly anyway.

I got out of it once but now there's probbably a continuation, dunno why it takes them 3 months to continue trying someone, stupid judicial system doesn't even work properly.

05suby 03-04-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Insulin? (Post 1665628)

my attitude? i just said i would rather be at work or sleeping. thats my opinion especially since ill most likely have to deal with all that **** later in life. i just gave that excuse so i didnt have to go. i highly doubt my job would cover me since i dont make the same amount of money everyday since i deliver food. so yes i would rather work instead of getting only $5 a day when i could make that in 2 min.