TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Why my battery disconnects itself? (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748)

c7scayman 03-12-2012 04:59 PM

Why my battery disconnects itself?

The battery negative wire keeps disconnecting itself.

I tighten it as hard as possible and use a hammer to tighten it further to the point that I can't even move the wire on the negative terminal using all of my strength.

But then I drive it and it comes right off every time. Any idea why? Could there be some type of surge of power that is causing the wire to disconnect itself?

What could be the solution to fix it? This is on a 2001 Nissan Altima Automatic.

Scapegoat 03-12-2012 05:06 PM

replace the connector thinger. it's probably worn out and material too thin

lownslow95 03-12-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scapegoat (Post 2118146)
replace the connector thinger. it's probably worn out and material too thin

This. There only a couple bucks at any auto parts store.

01NightHawk 03-12-2012 09:43 PM

Are you using an aftermarket terminal?

- I ask because my sealed JL audio terminals have a small inner ring that goes around the battery posts and I somehow lost one. So when I go to tighten everything down, it works its way out because that ring isn't there to help keep it tight.

Otherwise, as previously mentioned - just get a new terminal.

c7scayman 03-13-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01NightHawk (Post 2118264)
Are you using an aftermarket terminal?

- I ask because my sealed JL audio terminals have a small inner ring that goes around the battery posts and I somehow lost one. So when I go to tighten everything down, it works its way out because that ring isn't there to help keep it tight.

Otherwise, as previously mentioned - just get a new terminal.

OEM, not aftermarket.

I am talking about the rings that tighten around the positive and negative battery posts. The rings are on there so tight that I cannot rotate them or move them with my hand. But they somehow come right off when I drive the car. Then I have to tighten them on again. Then they come off again. etc.

jpalamar 03-13-2012 10:39 AM

Post a picture of the battery terminals and rings.

c7scayman 03-13-2012 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached the picture. Could not get picture of gf's car battery until I visit her next weekend.
This is another 2001 Altima engine bay picture, but trust me the battery and terminals and wires looks exactly the same.

covert 03-13-2012 11:23 AM

Is your battery strapped down properly? There really shouldn't be that much play in either the battery or cable movement. To answer part of your original post, no, a power surge couln't dislodge the cable.

c7scayman 03-13-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covert (Post 2118494)
Is your battery strapped down properly? There really shouldn't be that much play in either the battery or cable movement. To answer part of your original post, no, a power surge couln't dislodge the cable.

Yes. I checked that. I couldn't shake it. I guess I will just try to use some electric tape to hold the wire down to the battery and see what happens.

jpalamar 03-13-2012 11:54 AM

Replace the end of the battery cable. Problem solved.

You probably over tightened it and stretched the band.

01NightHawk 03-14-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c7scayman (Post 2118468)
OEM, not aftermarket.

I am talking about the rings that tighten around the positive and negative battery posts. The rings are on there so tight that I cannot rotate them or move them with my hand. But they somehow come right off when I drive the car. Then I have to tighten them on again. Then they come off again. etc.

Yeah, those are the terminals. Hmm so everything is tight but they still work their way loose....

another question: Are you using a battery that has straight battery posts or mild slant?

- I'm really not too sure how else to word it besides that. Some batteries have a straight post for the terminals where higher end have a wider bottom vs top. If your battery is one that has a wider bottom vs top - then that would explain why the terminal keeps coming loose.

Or as previously mentioned - it could be stretched and just works its way loose over time.