TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What have you been asked/told about your car? (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63396)

CleanNeon98 09-12-2008 09:56 AM

What have you been asked/told about your car?

So after talking to Reese last night at the Friendly's meet I thought it would be fun to post this up because there have been a lot of questions and "accusations" about my car and I'm sure you have had some of the same. A few favorites of mine are

Is that an intercooler?
Is that an oil cooler?
Is that a radiator?
THATS your intercooler??
Is that a stock boost gauge?
Is that a stock strut bar?
Is that a stock intake?
Is that the stock valve cover?
How do you fit in this thing?
How do you daily drive this?
Is that RWD?

And im sure we have all ran into a few clueless jackasses that have tried telling us about our cars when they know nothing. Here are some of mine.

Thats not a stock front mount
Thats not an intercooler
You really have a sidemount intercooler
That boost gauge comes stock, I KNOW!
You wont even spin the front wheels off the line.
And basically any variant of the questions above.

Post up your most rediculous encounters as im sure we all have some. The first part of my post makes me laugh at times because I can see where people would get those ideas.

Ender81 09-12-2008 10:20 AM

How small is your intercooler to be mistaken for an oil cooler lol. But I digress, the aircooled vw site thesamba.com has one of these threads and the most common thing said is "Did you know Hitler designed that car" you just smile and nod and don't confuse them with stories or Ferdinand Porsche lol. But here is my story from there. Thread can be seen here

I was down at the Auto Parts stor picking up some maintnence things for my wrx and my girlfriends 2.5rs. So I figured it would be a good day to bring the bug. I grab everything I need including some antifreeze and take it up to the checkout. Now there is a guy standing there he looks over and says nice car so I smile and say thanks. As thisother kid is ringing me up the guy looks down at the coolant and says "You know that thing is aircooled right?" I couldn't help myself I turned and said " I know but I like to keep it topped off anyway."

When I first got the WRX I was parked at a Wawa when a little kid, maybe 5 or 6, pointed it at and said "Look dad it's the car from Gran Turismo" I got a chuckle out of it.

CleanNeon98 09-12-2008 10:22 AM

^^^Can you spot it?

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...81283_2746.jpg

Yes, thats stock

P.S. yours is funny as hell...dont forget the VTEC fluid

Got Insulin? 09-12-2008 10:38 AM

Wow CN, that thing is smultra small.

I get told all the time that the hump in my hood on my N/A is so the turbo can fit under there.

or

"Did your car just sneeze?"

MTuning 09-12-2008 10:52 AM

"when do you have your turbo set to kick in?" is a favorite. another good one when i had the integra was "You know vtec and turbo cancels each other out right?" o rly :bigeek:

dragonfly2k3 09-12-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTuning (Post 1039133)
"You know vtec and turbo cancels each other out right?" o rly :bigeek:

loloolololtwat?

D Money 09-12-2008 11:04 AM

I have had so many

DPancoast 09-12-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTuning (Post 1039133)
"You know vtec and turbo cancels each other out right?" o rly :bigeek:

that's amazing... haha

anyway:

1. Is it turbo?
2. The engine's in the back?
3. What does MR stand for?

that's all I got right now.. let me think for a little bit.

martang 09-12-2008 11:10 AM

I get asked all the time if my car is turbo'd, and once I argued with a kid that insisted that my car had to weigh over 3000 lbs.

twastheglow 09-12-2008 11:11 AM

I was getting into my car leaving Moe's Burrito's one time and a guy pulled up next to me and parked and jumped out and was looking at my car. He says "Yeah, Nissan's aren't too bad. I used to have an S14 with an RB26DETT, you know, the twin turbo Skyline motor? (and yes, he said it just like I wrote it) It was putting down crazy power. I decided to sell it and bought this." He then points to his Focus ZX3 he just got out of with the ugliest tribal graphics down the side, one of those "screw on" exhaust tips that stick out about a mile and chrome "altezza" tail lights. I laughed at him and left.

I also had a guy @ Autozone ask me one time if my car was an older Triumph. LOL!!!

arkadyzv 09-12-2008 11:18 AM

In the 7: OMG BILLY WHAT IS THAT? WHAAAATT?
usually its is it fast? NO
Whats in there a 4 cylinder or a v6? 4 cylinder ( If I say rotary ,they go :bigeek:)

Last time the fobs at one of the companies asked me about, and I didnt know how to say no pistons in russian, but they figured it out and where like OMGGEZZZY hows that works, no way, it cant drive without pistons,
YO VLADIMIR!!!!!SERGEY!!!!, come here look at this, theres no pistons................Needless to say the 7 is slow and 4 cyl cylinder powered for anyone who doesn't know what it is.

Guy at Advance Auto told me rotaries dont like to rev, whats that like a 4.5k redline? :eek: Give me my 4 piston caliper so I can bounce plz.

lownslow95 09-12-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Insulin? (Post 1039118)
"Did your car just sneeze?"

Ahahahaha that was great, a shame you edited it so it didn't mention a girl. :rotfl:

:screwy:I have asked people if I was going to lift a 2WD truck.:bigeek:

TrboChicsRock 09-12-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender81 (Post 1039096)
When I first got the WRX I was parked at a Wawa when a little kid, maybe 5 or 6, pointed it at and said "Look dad it's the car from Gran Turismo" I got a chuckle out of it.

That reminds me of this little girl, who was probably around 4 or 5 and pointed towards my car and said "Look Mommy, that car looks FAST!"

Hahaha... it was so funny coming out of a little girl!

poisonivory 09-12-2008 11:46 AM

i got pulled over on Bustleton ave one night going a lil fast, and the cop hit me with the ol'...."that thing got a hemi?".....but it was especially funny since I drive a focus..lol

nonetheless, he was cool and let me go after busting my balls.

Scapegoat 09-12-2008 11:53 AM

I've gotten the "how do you like driving it?" in reference to the SRT... which is a retarded question to be asked by some random dude in a POS trying to be cool and making conversation.

thankfully, no one really gives a **** about SRT-4's anymore so I don't get bothered by anyone. They either know what they are, or think its a riced out neon and ignore it.

Loserkidwac 09-12-2008 12:01 PM

About My Del Slow:
"Is it Vtec?"
"Is it Fast?"
"D15z1 is that JDM?"

About the CRX:
"How big is the turbo" Followed by "Oh only a T3"
"How Fast is it" (Honestly how do you answer this question?)

or they say
"My friend's car..."
"Once I saw this car with..."

etc...

abrok99 09-12-2008 12:02 PM

me and my brother were in NC driving to the beach in his jeep and at a red light the guy next to us asked how many turbos do you have in there :bigeek: lulzz

alwaysinboost 09-12-2008 12:05 PM

some people are just clueless and don't know it. I'm not gonna even post some of the stupid things people have asked about.

I do like to mess with some of them though depending on the mood I'm in. I'll either agree with their misinformation and/or feed into it by giving them more false info to make themselfs look like a tool in front of the next guy...

alwaysinboost 09-12-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scapegoat (Post 1039223)
I've gotten the "how do you like driving it?" in reference to the SRT... which is a retarded question to be asked by some random dude in a POS trying to be cool and making conversation.

thankfully, no one really gives a **** about SRT-4's anymore so I don't get bothered by anyone. They know its a riced out neon and ignore it.

fixed it for ya :lol:

TalonTsi97 09-12-2008 12:09 PM

I've been told that my car doesn't have a 4g63 in it by a local kid with a built up 1g talon cause only 1g's came with 4g63's.
People ask if my car has a body kit on it. I guess cause you rarely see 2gb talons.
Have had people argue with me that the side moldings on the talon mean it's a special edition.
Had 2 workers at a autozone tell me that they only made awd turbo dsm's so there's no way my car is fwd and turbo'd.
Been told numerous times that turbos like back pressure by mechanics, and other car enthusiasts.
There a lot more but just a few that i could come up with off top of my had.