TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   good idea or not? (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50312)

stover 02-26-2008 05:46 PM

good idea or not?

i get my license in less than a month .. and i was hoping that by the summe ri would be able to pick up a car to wrench on this summer.. and it just so happens that im into drifting and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or tips or advice for me... i dont have a job lined up but i am currently a student at votech for "auto mechanics/technician" , i wont be certifieduntill next year but the school helps kids to get summer jobs to make a little money but i was planing on getting a part time doin oil changes or even detailing cars untill then.. so anyway my question is what would be a good cheap base to start with and where to go from there... is there age limits on drifting at e-town because i will only be turning 17 ... ok please help out if you can

-stover

93EGY8 02-26-2008 05:55 PM

the first thing i would do if i were you..is buy a beater..and then save for a project car

xEJ20x 02-26-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93EGY8 (Post 819130)
the first thing i would do if i were you..is buy a beater..and then save for a project car

+1
Nothin worse then when your project/daily breaks leaving you stranded...

stover 02-26-2008 06:35 PM

already covered i have a 99 plymouth breeze 5spd.... so wats next?

xEJ20x 02-26-2008 06:50 PM

Something FR with a good aftermarket, decent community, and cheap.
I'd say Miata.

stover 02-26-2008 06:55 PM

ok .. miata.. ill keep it in mind.. but also .. idk if this is a good idea but i was thinking of getting sumthing with rear seating so i can also take the car to meets and have some friends tag along? or should the car strictly be a track/drift car?

namdoogwerdna 02-26-2008 07:16 PM

Make your friends drive themselves. And I would definitely agree with a Miata, I like 240s but there are just so many, its good to see something different.

93EGY8 02-26-2008 07:40 PM

honestly, i understand that ur getting suggestions on what to build..but if u build something to what other people think is "cool" then you will never really be happy with it..build it to how you think u would like it..the biggest problem these days in the "tuner world" is that everyone is trying to impress everyone..a true car enthusiast builds his car to make him happy..he could care less about what the other guy thinks.. thats what sucks about it these days..the term "clean" and "unique" have lost there meanings... everyone copies what everyone else is doing. That's the best advice i can give you.. and like i said..just do whatever makes you want to crawl under it and get dirty!

stover 02-26-2008 07:52 PM

well my fav drift car would have to be a s13 coupe but idk where i will be able to grab one that doesnt have a bajillion mles or rusted it self away for my price range

pearl 02-26-2008 07:57 PM

I think you need to be 18, or have a parent signature to run at Englishtown if you are 17.

jdm free 02-26-2008 07:57 PM

if its a project miles on it shouldnt really matter to much

dragonfly2k3 02-26-2008 08:11 PM

what is your price range?

turbo4g63 02-26-2008 08:16 PM

Just my opinion...pick up a Mitsubishi mighty max and do a 4g63 swap......less than 5g's including the price of the truck and you have a 300whp drift beast

Francogt1 02-26-2008 08:48 PM

how about a Mazda RX7 FC3s? they are dirt cheap , and maybe u could drop a V8 in it or A turbo II swap. they are not as played out as the 240's and not as small as the Miata

Franco

stover 02-26-2008 09:07 PM

well price range would be prob like 3-4 k to get me started (car and necesary mods) and then i would go from there with "goodies and go fast bits" but yea no more than 4k to get me drifting even if its on just semi wet surfaces.. i mean i dont even have my license so its not like im gunna be slididng around on drive pavement like a superstar any time soon

sleepinsilvia23 02-26-2008 09:33 PM

Ok, theres lots of things in this thread that make me feel dumb. But i dont think cops care whether is dry or wet out?
If you dont have your license, i dont think your supposed to be "drifting in your car, without your goodies and go fast bits on a semi wet surface"

I will let someone else who knows the laws alittle bit better clarify that....................
Also try and read over your posts so they make a little more sense, it will make everyones live easier..

But really my advice, buy whatever you want.

Create240 02-26-2008 09:44 PM

Like sleepingsilvia said, buy what you want. It's your money so you put that money into something that you will eventually want to drive.

240_fun 02-26-2008 10:30 PM

Def buy something you will be happy with
I personally love my S13 Coupe
Yeh theres a lil rust and its an auto but w/e its a project
FC would def be another good choice but any car that old (including the 240) is gonna have problems to fix like rust esp.
Do what makes you happy and F the rest dude

Cardriverx 02-26-2008 10:56 PM

As for the miata, id like to put in some input

The car is more of a track car than drift, hands down

Its short wheelbase makes it diffcult to drift. But, with a turbocharger it can hold very nice drifts, and it can be a drift car (seen them and ive tried drifting mine). Buy a miata if you want a monsterous backroad/track car, but im my opinion I wouldent get one strictly for drifting

eaither way the miata is one of the greatest driver's car, I love mine. Its all up to what u want!

240sxDann 02-26-2008 11:33 PM

As played out as they are, its true, the s13 is the easiest and probably cheapest route to go here. They can be had for a decent price, a lot of times with good body's, and the stock KA (especially the DOHC) can make enough power to drift. Weld the diff and put a clutch in and some suspension, and you'll have a fun little car. Then from there...the possibilities are endless. Shoot....ss13 is always an option. I love seeing a 240, yet hearing a camaro lol.