TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Who has had surgery? (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79080)

240sxDann 05-07-2009 09:43 AM

Who has had surgery?

So I just got back from my "pre-surgery consultation". I'm going on the 22nd to have surgery on my elbow. It's nothing serious, it's just to remove loose bodies through a small incision. They'll be putting me under general anesthesia. I've never been completely under, or had surgery. Who else has had surgery? I'm actually really excited, because I've pretty much not been able to use my right arm for any strenuous activity at all for a few years now. (which really sucks because I had to quit bowling, and I was a pretty competitive bowler. I really miss it) I'll be in a sling for 10 days afterward. Any advice? Hints tips tricks? The one thing I'm not happy about is not being able to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.

Erik 05-07-2009 09:46 AM

Never had surgery like that. I had a broken molar that had to be cut out of my jaw. that was nasty. I was put under but i remember smelling something? I assumed it was the bone being cut :eek: Good luck though. im stoked for you to get your elbow back.

RisR32 05-07-2009 09:55 AM

I have had many surgery's, the worst part is the soreness that comes during the healing process. Also when you wake up, you may say some funny things. It's not that bad.

Nick Merrone 05-07-2009 09:59 AM

goodluck dude. I've never had surgery but many many many nights in the hospital.

Erik 05-07-2009 10:00 AM

lol i remember thinking i was blowing a bubble when i first woke up. I just had my tongue sticking out.

blkZ06 05-07-2009 10:04 AM

Stick to the nothing to eat or drink thing, if you end up getting sick from the anesthesia you don't want to puke up a whole pizza while your sitting in the hospital bed. Waking up is an interesting process Ris is right you might say some really stupid stuff but its all good one of the surgeries I had after my accident I was apparently asking everyone if they had my sunglasses.

Odds are they will give you pain killers, be easy if you've never taken them before and stop taking them as soon as you can don't use them as a crutch to get through soreness suck it up and work through it.

DPancoast 05-07-2009 10:07 AM

I've had some crazy head surgury in my lifetime...I have hydrocephullus (spelling is way off haha...) and have had 4 major suguries because of it. It's basically a natural valve in my head to regulate spinal fluid in my head (you have natural glands usually.. mine don't work lol). I suck at waking up from it and was always freakin out for a good couple mins.

Nothin to a minor surgury tho man. Just stay calm and listen to the doctors after and you'll be fine.

R_Rambo 05-07-2009 10:10 AM

I have had surgery a couple times, afterwards I get sick from anestheisa. same thing blkZ06 said dont just eat everything you can good chance its gonna come back up a lot of people get that reaction afterwards. I usually try jello or something very light first and if that stays down I gradually start eating more solid things. ha but you could also be like my dad and not get sick at all and after surgery order everything on the hospital menu and chow down

doug 05-07-2009 10:22 AM

I've been put completely under, tubes down the throat, and put on life support for surgery once. that was nutty. i remember being put under, my eyes were open.. but everything just started blacking out from the sides of my eyes to the middle, and I remember saying to the doctor "is there going to be a VHS of this surgery?" hahahaha. I remember waking up with the sorest and dryest throat every because of the tubes. And I wasn't allowed to drink anything for 2 hours after the surgery. it was torture sitting there with a dry scratched up throat feeling like I was floating on pluto.

lagos 05-07-2009 10:22 AM

Here is how it goes..
You lay on the hospital bed when they administer the anesthesia. Then the next thing you know, your in the recovery room and your arm is in a sling. Thats it.

k!mmy 05-07-2009 11:11 AM

I recently just had major surgery this past April on my hip.... they put tubes down my throat like some people have mentioned - which does suck cause you do wake up feeling like youve got a dry scratchy throat. It doesnt sound like yours will be too extensive, when they did mine, they cut my muscle and regraphed it (in my hip,to knee) to make it longer, removed the bursa and shaved down my hip bone....along with removing scar tissue... .Recovery is still happening, Im not 100% yet but the sooner you move around the faster you heal, just as long as your gentle with it. I imagine you should be good to go in no time... I was up and hobbling around in the first 5 days... You might also wake up from the anesthesia with the shakes/chills. That's happened to me every time. DO NOT EAT no matter what, before surgery cause if they find out you did, they will postpone your surgery.

doug 05-07-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k!mmy (Post 1357750)
I recently just had major surgery this past April on my hip.... they put tubes down my throat like some people have mentioned - which does suck cause you do wake up feeling like youve got a dry scratchy throat. It doesnt sound like yours will be too extensive, when they did mine, they cut my muscle and regraphed it (in my hip,to knee) to make it longer, removed the bursa and shaved down my hip bone....along with removing scar tissue... .Recovery is still happening, Im not 100% yet but the sooner you move around the faster you heal, just as long as your gentle with it. I imagine you should be good to go in no time... I was up and hobbling around in the first 5 days... You might also wake up from the anesthesia with the shakes/chills. That's happened to me every time. DO NOT EAT no matter what, before surgery cause if they find out you did, they will postpone your surgery.

tubes suck lol..

they had to do the tubes/life support because they were doing surgery right under my collar bone on my neck, so if they hit a major vein/artery i'd be safer on the machines. Probably the same thing with you.. there are huge veins and arteries in that area.

MuddyREX 05-07-2009 11:27 AM

They'll tell you to count backwards from 10. They'll give you the drugs, you'll get to 8 or 7, you'll be asleep, you'll get an anal probe, then you'll wake up.

Nothing to worry about.

Oakes 05-07-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuddyREX (Post 1357781)
They'll tell you to count backwards from 10. They'll give you the drugs, you'll get to 8 or 7, you'll be asleep, you'll get an anal probe, then you'll wake up.

Nothing to worry about.

lol, the drug thing is true

I stuck to the ate nothing/drink nothing and thankfully i did, because I woke up throwing up on myself already. No sense getting all nervous cause all you do is pass out...then wake up afterwords and that's the surgery. Just hope you don't wake up with a different arm or an opposed elbow.....

turbo88crx 05-07-2009 11:40 AM

I've had 5 surgeries, and def the worst part is the recovery. I had a screw put in my hip, my right hand basically rebuilt, a sist cut off my chin, tendons reattached in my shoulder after a dislocation, and a blood vessle tied off in my forehead. The worst was def the screw in the hip, u don't realize how much you use it till it hurts when you move it lol. The anestisia isn't badfor most people, def don't eat and you'll wake up like me askin for a genos steak lol. But some people wake up wierd from it. My fathers side has a reaction to it. After my uncle woke up from his heart surgery he tried to beat the doc up and choke him with his stethiscope, ripped his gown off and tried to walk outa the hospital naked lmfao and he's 6'3 about 300lbs. Minus it bein scary we all laugh our a55e5 off @ it now. And when I went in to see my father after his, he asked me if he was alive lmfao than asked if I took care of all the buisness stuff. Talk about 1 extreme to the other hahaha. You'll be fine just do what they say.

turbo88crx 05-07-2009 11:44 AM

Ohh btw when you go into the surgery room look around @ all the tools they use, you'll be stunned how many of them you have @ home lmfao.

Stop by ill do your surgery, but I'm short the anestesia lmfao

fballman1987 05-07-2009 11:45 AM

i got a titanium plate in my hand to correct a broken overlapping bone, they put me under and when i woke up i was swinging my fists and trying to hit people. lol.

Oakes 05-07-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fballman1987 (Post 1357825)
i got a titanium plate in my hand to correct a broken overlapping bone, they put me under and when i woke up i was swinging my fists and trying to hit people. lol.

Probably a terrible idea had you landed one with that freshly fixed hand

JB'sLGT 05-07-2009 12:14 PM

Surgery isn't a real big deal. The thing that bothered me was the accidental death waiver they made me sign and everyone else that goes under general anesthesia. If I died from getting my broken nose reset I was gonna haunt the s*** out of them.

Anyway, I agree to try and get off the pain meds ASAP though. I threw out my meds immediately when I realized I could deal with the pain. I definitely didn't want to start a habit.

Funny story though, the first time I hazily woke up after they reset my broken nose, I noticed the doctors and nurses had blood splattered all over them. 4 hours later (I thought it was like 10 minutes lol) when I finally woke up fully, I asked them what happened and the nurse said I started violently coughing blood all over them. I said oh my bad.

pandabeartsi 05-07-2009 12:17 PM

ive had sinus surgery, its the WORST ever.. they break you nose to straigten out your septum (which i had)