TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Just an introduction... (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121797)

devo 12-25-2011 12:47 AM

Just an introduction...

I already introduced myself in the "welcome" forum but I don't know how many people read that. So I figured I'd introduce myself here, given the topic...

Anyway, my dad has worked at Maple Grove drag strip for over 30 years. He's the announcer. He's raced there (72 Nova and 67 Camaro among others). He's also very involved with MANDRA and any kind of nostalgia event. So if any of you race or want to race there, or have questions that can't be answered on their website, you can probably ask me (and I'll ask him).

I have lots of photos, etc collected over the years which I could post if anyone would find them interesting. Mostly cars, some from the years my dad has worked at the track, when I was a kid... but also a lot from when he just went there... some are pretty old. 60s-70s.

For now here's a vid I took this Summer at Super Chevy, from the bottom floor of the timing tower...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXEVEYk-DA

devo 12-25-2011 01:11 AM

Here's another video from the same weekend (you'll wanna ffwd to about 0:50)... that's my pops setting the tree/announcing from the track. It was his first time doing that with jets.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater

(sorry about the links... IDK how to embed here, or if it's even possible?)

And this is one of his best friends, Barry Macken, who frequents the Grove, Atco, Beaver and other local tracks with his '65 Corvette. 9 1/2-second car at its best. My dad is a welder full-time and has done a lot of work on this car. He even gets to drive it sometimes, as Barry's getting up in years and drives less and less...

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...Misc/Barry.jpg

Proven 12-26-2011 09:19 PM

So sick, Jet cars are so insane to watch live!!

That vette looks sick also

You racing your WRX?

lownslow95 12-26-2011 09:22 PM

Welcome to the site.

DTownHemiD 12-26-2011 09:28 PM

Welcome to TST. That's pretty cool that your dad is the announcer at Maple Grove. I love going there

Nick 95 6sp 12-26-2011 11:47 PM

Welcome. That's very cool stuff you already posted and the history, about your dad, etc. Being I'm an "old guy" I'd appreciate and love to see whatever you can show us.

I remember going to Maple Grove shortly after it opened in the early '60's. My best friend's dad let us "help him" build a '51 or '52 Henry J into an H Gas car (6 cyl 292 Chevy truck motor, etc) which took many class win trophies at Maple Grove, Atco, Vargo, partly because there weren't many cars running H Gas, but it was tons of fun.

devo 12-27-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proven (Post 2089256)
So sick, Jet cars are so insane to watch live!!

That vette looks sick also

You racing your WRX?

Yea, they're fun. Glad I'm able to watch from the tower, though. I have a 5-year-old who is NOT fond of the noise. She freaked the hell out watching pro-mods from the stands.
I was going to try to race last year, but I never got to it. I hope to try it out this year. I've never done it before, believe it or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lownslow95 (Post 2089258)
Welcome to the site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTownHemiD (Post 2089265)
Welcome to TST. That's pretty cool that your dad is the announcer at Maple Grove. I love going there

Thanks, guys. :)

devo 12-27-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 95 6sp (Post 2089313)
Welcome. That's very cool stuff you already posted and the history, about your dad, etc. Being I'm an "old guy" I'd appreciate and love to see whatever you can show us.

I remember going to Maple Grove shortly after it opened in the early '60's. My best friend's dad let us "help him" build a '51 or '52 Henry J into an H Gas car (6 cyl 292 Chevy truck motor, etc) which took many class win trophies at Maple Grove, Atco, Vargo, partly because there weren't many cars running H Gas, but it was tons of fun.

Well you probably know a lot of the same people that my dad and some of his/our friends do.

Back when I was a toddler and they had the old brown timing tower and hand-written time slips he used to let me send them down the tube.

Then as a slightly older kid, my brother and I got in trouble for throwing fries off the back of the tower at the people in the staging lanes- haha!

Anyway, I'll see what old pics I can dig up. We have a ton.

HickRocket1258 12-27-2011 08:27 PM

So you are Roger's son? I'm sorry to hear that. I kid I kid.

I used to race brackets at Maple Grove all the time until I started saving for a house. It's been very limited but once I get a better job (more money) I plan to be back out.

devo 12-29-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HickRocket1258 (Post 2089638)
So you are Roger's son? I'm sorry to hear that. I kid I kid.

I used to race brackets at Maple Grove all the time until I started saving for a house. It's been very limited but once I get a better job (more money) I plan to be back out.

Haha! ...close.

Streetracer1227 02-27-2012 12:26 PM

My old man used to run at the grove in the 80s and early 90s, first with a camaro then a vega (rolled his car down there one year at the spring bracket nationals), then again in the early-mid 2000s with a camaro when the northeast pro street shootout ran there, also a few NMCA races and the most recent pinks all out

2lowgeo 01-23-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devo (Post 2090096)
Haha! ...close.

if ur his son does that make me gay?

HattiDed 02-09-2024 07:05 AM

Can you share more about your experiences at Maple Grove drag strip, especially with your dad being an announcer and racer there, and do you plan to race your WRX in the future?