TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Matte Black Paint (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123280)

tuningvelocity 02-24-2012 01:12 AM

Matte Black Paint

How much would it cost to get a car painted matte black. Anyone have an experience with this somewhere in Philly?

Thanks.

Got Insulin? 02-24-2012 01:18 AM

Step One: Open your preferred internet browser, and then type in Google.com
Step Two: Type in "Body shops in Philadelphia area"
Step Three: Select a shop, acquire their number, and then call them.

OR: Open up our vendor's tabs and call one of them. Prices will vary and will depend on your doing the prep.

WolfsFang 02-24-2012 01:31 AM

I would also look into wrapping the car with vinyl.

mcperson2k 02-24-2012 02:38 AM

matte colors are so ugly............................................. imo

Ridachu 02-24-2012 02:44 AM

ppg hot rod black is a great product and requires LOADS AND LOADS OF WORK!!!! every little spec knick dent bump etc etc shows up big in it, get in touch with l.i.p. a vender here on tst
BUT BUT BUT
1.its not a maaco job
2.borderline restoration
3.lots of time and effort

OR option B
spray can the car with flat black paint....(i dont recommend this at all)

itwillboost 02-24-2012 02:49 AM

Just vinyl wrap it about 1600 to 2000 for a full car job.

JankyS13 02-24-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Insulin? (Post 2111399)

OR: Open up our vendor's tabs and call one of them. Prices will vary and will depend on your doing the prep.

ZOMGZ Joo just teached me to internets like a boss, bro! :lol:

92awdtsi 02-24-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuningvelocity (Post 2111396)
How much would it cost to get a car painted matte black. Anyone have an experience with this somewhere in Philly?

Thanks.

the same as any other professional paint job, you might save like $200 on paint materials.

Diablo2424 02-24-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Insulin? (Post 2111399)

http://bit.ly/yndGXT :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwillboost (Post 2111428)
Just vinyl wrap it about 1600 to 2000 for a full car job.

QFT. Plus with Vinyl wrap, if you ever want to remove it, it can be done I'd imagine, as opposed to a paint job that would have to be stripped/painted over.

Flat Black is BOSS though.

tuningvelocity 02-24-2012 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Diablo2424;2111476]http://bit.ly/yndGXT :wink:

Haha people I get it, I know how to google. I was more interested on if anyone here had it done and what prices they paid.

BTW Diablo2424 that link was pretty funny. :lol:

DaBombDiggidy 02-24-2012 11:58 AM

or you could spend 50 bucks on plasti-dip like i did lololol

AWD GS 02-24-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo2424 (Post 2111476)
Haha people I get it, I know how to google. I was more interested on if anyone here had it done and what prices they paid.

BTW Diablo2424 that link was pretty funny. :lol:

every shop is different so prices vary. expect to pay at least 2k for a decent job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBombDiggidy (Post 2111552)
or you could spend 50 bucks on plasti-dip like i did lololol

horrible idea

DaBombDiggidy 02-24-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWD GS (Post 2111580)
horrible idea

horribly awesome... :lol:

AWD GS 02-24-2012 02:06 PM

its a poor mans "paint job" and i use that term very loosely.

jpalamar 02-24-2012 02:24 PM

$10,000.

AllMotor 02-26-2012 03:54 PM

Pardon my ignorance here, but considering the car that you have listed is a 2011 and I know I'm going out on a limb, I doubt the car is paid off yet and can't help to wonder why you either didn't order a car that had a matte finish (or) at least finish paying off the car first. Just seems logical in my mind to finish paying the note and then mod the car in what ever fashion you see fit. Now if I'm wrong and the note is paid in full, I will digress, returning to my previous channel.
~Anthony.

Ridachu 02-26-2012 04:38 PM

So much bashing on this thread all he asked if we knew any body shops that could paint satin black and around how much it would cost

BAck to the thread

a flat/satin/matte black paint job can be $100-$limitless all depends what materials and how much prep is needed
Any Restoration shop should be able to do this for you, http://marquisautorestorations.com/ this is located in northeast, their work is beautiful but be prepared to pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$

hope this helps at all

AllMotor 02-26-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridachu (Post 2112160)
So much bashing on this thread all he asked if we knew any body shops that could paint satin black and around how much it would cost

Actually I want to agree with you on the bashing. However, Got Insulin? had a valid point about googling. If the OP, would have taken the time to do that, he "might" have found threads on other forums or articles all in themselves about 50.00 paint jobs. Which take no more than a day to do and provide a the desired look the OP is looking for. With that being said, the bashing could be construed as justified.
~Anthony.

rickeo 02-26-2012 05:15 PM

Vinyl wrap.

/thread

DC2.2GSR 02-26-2012 05:35 PM

^If you want the car to look like ass. Vinyl the whole car only if it's going to be a track car that's going to get beat to sh*t and you want the ability to change it out once it gets too bad.

If you want to do it correctly, here's some perspective on getting flat done right...

The matte additive that I use goes in the clear and is mixed 2:1 (clear + hardener and/or reducer:additive) for a typical "flat" look that's not chalky but also not too shiny. To flatten a mixed gallon of clear you would use two quarts of the additive, giving you a gallon and a half of sprayable clear, which should be enough to clear a small-ish car including jambs and maybe even the engine bay if you're efficient with it. Those extra two quarts will cost you about $80 each before tax, adding a total of lets say $200 to your overall materials invoice. Since $200 is very likely to be only about 5-10% of your total cost, it's negligible at best. That percentage would be much lower if you're getting a very high quality job and not just what would be called a simple "overall" with not much other work or special work being done. When you're getting good paint work done, the cost of flat clear really isn't important when you look at the cost of the entire job.

Flat paint jobs require no more or less work than regularly cleared jobs, they just require a competent painter who can flip the switch and correctly spray the flat clear instead of regular clear. Body work doesn't change, because every imperfection that would be seen in a flat job would be amplified in a gloss job, so proper body work is done no matter what. Flat jobs require more attention to be paid to cleanliness because you can't sand and buff, but again that simply requires a competent painter and shop, not more work. Labor cost may go up with a flat clear job if the shop deems it necessary based on your specific car or something unique about the job, but you shouldn't expect a huge jump in price just because it's flat.

Paint jobs start at about $2500 for a simple exterior respray in the OEM color at any worthwhile shop. Add jambs and bay, the flat clear, and some light body work or panel replacement and I'd plan for about $4000 all said and done. That is of course a random number pulled out of my ass with no knowledge about the condition of the vehicle or the color or work desired, but it's a good starting point. On the upper end as far as paint jobs go, we just sprayed a '53 Ford truck in flat gold and it was a $16k job start to finish. There's really no ceiling, but there are definitely different levels of quality. It's labor that costs a lot, not usually materials so getting a flat job done really isn't much different than regular clear. Hope that helps.