TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Member Journals (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Dave's 2017 Camaro Fifty SS (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134198)

DaveSTi 05-07-2018 02:41 PM

Update on the DSC Sport controller:

I attempted to reset the ride height on the controller as well as flash the latest firmware (for better velocity control) and the unit would not connect to my laptop. I tried a different driver as well as multiple COM and USB ports and nothing would work with the unit. DSC asked for me to send it back so that they could update it and send me a replacement unit in a couple of weeks when new ones arrive.

Great customer service. I've since mailed it off to them and am running the OEM hardware. The differences are all nuanced but there are a lot of them. The car is definitely not as good at handling now. It's going to be a long 2-3 weeks :)

DocWalt 05-08-2018 12:00 PM

I'm glad DSC is taking care of it for you! They need to sort out these quality issues cause it sounds like they make a good product performance wise.

DaveSTi 05-09-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243688)
I'm glad DSC is taking care of it for you! They need to sort out these quality issues cause it sounds like they make a good product performance wise.

Me too! I was surprised considering I had bought this used. I let them know I had bought it from first name/last name and they were ok with everything.

It really made the Camaro feel more responsive and much more sports car-like. I'm kind of shocked at how without it, the 1LE suspension'd Camaro feels sluggish haha.

DocWalt 06-18-2018 09:09 PM

Any updates from DSC?

DaveSTi 06-19-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243852)
Any updates from DSC?

None..

Going to email them this week. The part still shows backordered on their website.

Car is parked in the garage. Replacing the MAP sensor and i've been waiting almost two weeks for USPS to get it to me.

Local BMW dealership just had this show up to kick me in the nuts while I wait:
https://www.richmondbmwmidlothian.co...df512471ef.htm

Every option I wanted with the right color combo too. :lol: Life is hilarious.

DocWalt 06-19-2018 02:11 PM

Might have been easier to just go buy a MAP sensor locally, go figure :(

DSC support seems to be a total cluster****, too bad...

911 is pretty, but why such a boring color? haha

DaveSTi 06-19-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243860)
Might have been easier to just go buy a MAP sensor locally, go figure :(

DSC support seems to be a total cluster****, too bad...

911 is pretty, but why such a boring color? haha

Right? DTC's showed that the sensor was out of range, along with not enough air being read. I had trouble with this one before when I first installed the ported intake. New sensor is only $53, but the wait has been extraordinary.

Next time, I'll try the local dealer for sure.

Yeah, it's not the greatest at all. I will say that the box makes a very noticeable and nice difference but factory mag ride is also more comfortable.

Haha, I like the boring gray color with black interior. Throw on some black Fuchs. Red seatbelts to make it pop. :lol:

DocWalt 06-19-2018 07:55 PM

Sounds like you just need a GT3 :)

Any debris in the sensor?

I'm gaining interest in the DSC box for reasons...

DaveSTi 06-20-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243862)
Sounds like you just need a GT3 :)

Any debris in the sensor?

I'm gaining interest in the DSC box for reasons...

Haha, if I had $90-100k to do it, I would!:lol:

Doubtful, but I can check. The DTCs aren't popping a CEL surprisingly. The car did stall out, but was drivable. It just felt like a massive air leak and certain RPMs and gears the engine wouldn't accelerate. I'd be more worried but oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temps were all fine and no leaks under the car or in the engine bay.

It's possible that the air intake manifold has a crack in it somewhere, but nothing is visible. Was hoping for a quick triage. I have a torque wrench for inch lbs coming in the mail tomorrow to verify the bolts on the IM are done correctly but I'm not too worried about that... I've been driving just fine on this setup since last year with the only change being the CAI (and that's tightened down).

reasons are good to grab a DSC box. It made the Camaro super agile and got rid of the minimal squat and dive that the 1LE suspension had. With the DSC box, I've never had a better handling car.

DocWalt 06-20-2018 11:50 AM

Does the DSC box help you put down power better or no?

I'm a bit jealous of the ediffs in the 1LE...

DaveSTi 06-20-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243865)
Does the DSC box help you put down power better or no?

I'm a bit jealous of the ediffs in the 1LE...

It does, that's the major difference it provides on my car since it doesn't have much roll.

me too, wish GM would release a retro kit. The aftermarket is on the verge of figuring out the retrofit for the PDR setup.

DocWalt 06-20-2018 08:14 PM

PDR would be so much more interesting if the camera wasn't a potato cam, lol.

So it has less suspension movement but still puts down power better on corner exit? wow, they must have it tuned really well

DaveSTi 06-20-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243867)
PDR would be so much more interesting if the camera wasn't a potato cam, lol.

So it has less suspension movement but still puts down power better on corner exit? wow, they must have it tuned really well

720P:lol: I think they're upgrading the camera for 2019, but that redesign is ugly as ****.

Yup. It's constantly changing the shock response so that it can do both.

DocWalt 06-20-2018 10:45 PM

Yeah the '19 body refresh is atrocious. Not sure what GM was thinking...

Man, I would love to back-to-back one of these units. Pricey to do so. I need to get famous so DSC can advertise me testing it like they did with Randy Pobst :mrgreen: haha

DaveSTi 06-21-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243869)
Yeah the '19 body refresh is atrocious. Not sure what GM was thinking...

Man, I would love to back-to-back one of these units. Pricey to do so. I need to get famous so DSC can advertise me testing it like they did with Randy Pobst :mrgreen: haha

Me either, and with Al Openheiser calling detractors "haters" on his facebook rather than listen....kind of soured on the whole brand.

If you'd like to do that with my car, we can set something up once i get the box back from DSC.

DocWalt 06-21-2018 02:08 PM

Yeah, if that's the attitude they're going to have I can't see the sales figures ever catching the Mustang.

I'd love to do the DSC box test at an autocross and I'm not sure I want to push your baby that hard, and street class rules for autocross may be allowing the DSC box (or other replacements like reprogramming OEM controller) next year.

DaveSTi 06-21-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243876)
Yeah, if that's the attitude they're going to have I can't see the sales figures ever catching the Mustang.

I'd love to do the DSC box test at an autocross and I'm not sure I want to push your baby that hard, and street class rules for autocross may be allowing the DSC box (or other replacements like reprogramming OEM controller) next year.

Sales volume was never the target for Camaro. ATP was (with the larger profit margin attached to it) and they succeeded there. They also succeeded in retail sales volume. The trouble is that it looks horrible because Ford and Dodge push a lot of volume sales through rental and fleet sales whereas Chevy does not with the Camaro. New GM strategy overall.

You do wonder what Chevy's intended sales volume targets were for the 6th gen and how it is living up to the ROI on the development spend, etc. but without working there, no way to know those metrics.

You can beat the hell out of the car if you want. I'm not worried about anything mechanical breaking (MAP sensor arrived today). :wink::lol:

DocWalt 06-21-2018 07:32 PM

Well GM clearly doesn't care about ROI or they'd have shown the car to customers and not... whoever they showed it to.

I'd love to beat on it sometime :)

DaveSTi 06-22-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243878)
Well GM clearly doesn't care about ROI or they'd have shown the car to customers and not... whoever they showed it to.

I'd love to beat on it sometime :)

Sounds good!

https://www.richmondbmwmidlothian.co...df512471ef.htm

This keeps haunting me :lol:

Put in the new MAP sensor last night, verified torque settings on the IM, cleared the DTCs and sent logs off to a buddy of mine to look at. STFT/LTFT's look to be slightly off but nothing drastic. Vacuum at idle is 32kpa, so if there is a leak it's not much.

DocWalt 06-22-2018 09:39 AM

I wouldn't mind beating on a 911 either... never driven one :)

DaveSTi 06-22-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243885)
I wouldn't mind beating on a 911 either... never driven one :)

Slower than what we've gotten used to in every way, but the steering to throttle feel is second to none. I miss mine nearly everyday even with the Camaro being so much better performance-wise. The driver inputs just aren't as sharp.

With that said, the Camaro gets better fuel economy, is much more comfortable vs. the base 911, has more storage room, has a better stereo, and is much more daily driver friendly (plus repair cost fears don't keep me up at night). :lol:

DocWalt 06-22-2018 02:00 PM

Yeah, repair costs are why I haven't pursued a Porsche...

PAdutch 06-22-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243891)
Yeah, repair costs are why I haven't pursued a Porsche...

Pretty much my opinion on anything german at this point.

DaveSTi 06-23-2018 10:57 AM

Car won’t start up smoothly and the engine is making knocking noises. Putting it back to stock and flatbedding it to the dealer

DaveSTi 06-23-2018 04:26 PM

Pulled intake manifold. Intake port is covered in oil and wet. Looks like a bad lifter. (Known issue). Flat bed to the dealer on Monday.

DocWalt 06-23-2018 07:04 PM

:eek: Good luck man, sorry to hear about the failure. Should be an easy enough swap...

DaveSTi 06-23-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243900)
:eek: Good luck man, sorry to hear about the failure. Should be an easy enough swap...

Fingers crossed warranty covers it:

https://gm.oemdtc.com/3656/15-06-01-...-chevrolet-gmc

DaveSTi 06-25-2018 04:42 PM

Well, car has been towed. Not fun watching your car get towed away. The tow scrapped the **** out of the front spoiler. I took pics.

Dealer will open it up tomorrow at 10:30am.

Let the fun begin.

DocWalt 06-25-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveSTi (Post 2243905)
Well, car has been towed. Not fun watching your car get towed away. The tow scrapped the **** out of the front spoiler. I took pics.

Dealer will open it up tomorrow at 10:30am.

Let the fun begin.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

DaveSTi 06-25-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 2243906)
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Angle was next to impossible but yeah...took pics, will have them repair/replace. :(

I'd post photos but it's not hard to imagine my car on a flat bed. :lol:

DaveSTi 06-27-2018 09:15 PM

Update:

Dealer found a misfire code, inspected the lifters and found that the spark plug electrode in cylinder 8 was bent. They had no idea why or how but replaced the plug and called it fixed.

I drove it today to another dealer and traded the car in on a new ZL1. The engine was exhibiting loud lifter tick, stumbling on and off throttle and almost stalled at the light outside of the dealer.

Not having to continue this back and forth was worth the peace of mind and the ZL1 is absolutely perfect.

PAdutch 06-28-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveSTi (Post 2243911)
Update:

Dealer found a misfire code, inspected the lifters and found that the spark plug electrode in cylinder 8 was bent. They had no idea why or how but replaced the plug and called it fixed.

I drove it today to another dealer and traded the car in on a new ZL1. The engine was exhibiting loud lifter tick, stumbling on and off throttle and almost stalled at the light outside of the dealer.

Not having to continue this back and forth was worth the peace of mind and the ZL1 is absolutely perfect.

Sucks about the lifter stuff/plug stuff but did you say ZL1!?

https://i.imgur.com/cKQBPZR.jpg

DaveSTi 06-28-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAdutch (Post 2243912)
Sucks about the lifter stuff/plug stuff but did you say ZL1!?

https://i.imgur.com/cKQBPZR.jpg

Working on a new thread... :)

DocWalt 06-28-2018 11:24 AM

wut..