TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Subaru Talk (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Looking for a good Subaru shop and/or thoughts for a build (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59148)

dotmichael 07-10-2008 12:48 AM

Looking for a good Subaru shop and/or thoughts for a build

I dont know if this is the right place to put this..

a friend of mine threw a rod in this wrx and now is looking to rebuild. Being a Honda guy with limited suby knowledge Ive been browsing nasioc as I always have but its some confusing stuff.

It'd be nice to discuss a build in here too but for now I got to find him a shop.

He's dissatisfied with precision tuning for whatever reason as they did his initial install (vf34, etc) So now i'm looking elsewhere.

Someone who specializes in hybrid engines would be great as Im seeing there are difficulties with the build sometimes, although that may just be a ls/vtec type myth.

He's going 2.5 block and has around $3000 to play with. Going to be tuned with Accessport and Im sure would like to be in the 12s somewhere.

ANY help is appreciated as this isnt my forte and again sorry if this is the wrong section, but it seemed the best option.

TROLL 07-10-2008 12:52 AM

$3000 needs to cover the new block, labor, and tune? i think thats going to be tight.

He can get an STi shortblock and have his WRX heads put onto them and dropped back in, thats a popular option. a tune will be necessary for this combo for him to be able to drive it. I think he'll be over $2000 just for the block and gaskets/seals needed though.

Ender81 07-10-2008 01:26 AM

Yeah 3k is going to be pretty tight, also he should consider that Accessport is probably not the best way to go with the many other better options out there. The sti shortblock can be found for $1,100 with 0 miles, a good tune is going to be about 500 give or take and that would leave 1,400 for everything else i.e. labor, gasketts etc.. Has he done anything to the tranny to support any of this because the stock WRX trans can only take so much. Area1320 is probably your best bet on here to go over a lot of that and see what would be the best option to fit his budget.

dotmichael 07-10-2008 01:26 AM

well i've seen brand new shortblocks go for $1800. Then there's the option of getting a used sti or 2.5 block but i cant find enough information about the sti internals and whether they'd support what he's looking for. OR get a used 2.5 block and do internals on that.

Im sure he can budge closer to four grand but it'd need to be pretty wicked at that point.

he's also got a cobb clutch, full exhaust, sti pinks, huge aps top mount.

bare sti block w/internals would be too expensive? its his second car, not quite daily driver but not quite weekend warrior

Renegade_ 07-10-2008 01:38 AM

An sti shortblock can take you to 400whp if you want it. Im sure he's not looking to do that much. You can pick up an STi shortblock new or used with low miles in the low thousand range. New headgaskets, and the labor to drop everything back in is the rest...

TROLL 07-10-2008 01:40 AM

stock internals on a sti motor is good for 400 whp so unless he's got big plans i think that should be fine... i'd try to stick with this as built motors have a considerably lower success rate.

Ender81 07-10-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotmichael (Post 968576)
well i've seen brand new shortblocks go for $1800. Then there's the option of getting a used sti or 2.5 block but i cant find enough information about the sti internals and whether they'd support what he's looking for. OR get a used 2.5 block and do internals on that.

Im sure he can budge closer to four grand but it'd need to be pretty wicked at that point.

he's also got a cobb clutch, full exhaust, sti pinks, huge aps top mount.

bare sti block w/internals would be too expensive? its his second car, not quite daily driver but not quite weekend warrior

Yeah have him talk to Ryan at 1320 because I know I have discussed with him an sti shortblock for myself new for less then 1,800. Also have to agree with Troll unless he is throwing a lot more then 3 or 4K at it he should avoid the built motors.

JET02WRX 07-10-2008 02:33 PM

And tell him to clear all thoughts in his head about using an off the shelf accessport tune with a hybrid motor set up. Thats gonna require a custom tune, which basically makes the accessport useless unless he REALLY needs the option to switch maps.

Ender81 07-10-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET02WRX (Post 969093)
And tell him to clear all thoughts in his head about using an off the shelf accessport tune with a hybrid motor set up. Thats gonna require a custom tune, which basically makes the accessport useless unless he REALLY needs the option to switch maps.

If he really needs to switch maps you can still do a lot better then the Cobb setup. For instance a Utec with remote map switch.

JET02WRX 07-11-2008 06:59 AM

Meh... depends on what you need/want. Utec is more than a map switcher..as a result...it costs more than an accessport. Depending on the year of his car, he can pick up a V1 accessport for cheap on ebay and get a protune. I still recommend free open source over either option...then all you pay for is the tune which is usually in the $250-350 area.

LilSubiedrvr 07-11-2008 08:16 AM

Yeah talk to Ryan at 1320. He REALLY knows his subies and won't steer you wrong.

DaveSTi 07-11-2008 08:24 AM

Go with Ryan at AREA1320. Ryan will be great for the installs and tech help. I'm not sure about where to go for the engine build locally, I'd look into an AXIS block or one built by Phil at Element Tuning.

Subie_sleeper 07-11-2008 08:29 AM

Again , DEFINATELY check out AREA1320. Ryan does awesome work , and isn't afraid to take on jobs that might be considered ...... Unusual. (like pain in the ass , freakish car/truck/things) LOL. He's the guy to talk to.

Ender81 07-11-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET02WRX (Post 969898)
Meh... depends on what you need/want. Utec is more than a map switcher..as a result...it costs more than an accessport. Depending on the year of his car, he can pick up a V1 accessport for cheap on ebay and get a protune. I still recommend free open source over either option...then all you pay for is the tune which is usually in the $250-350 area.

I picked up my Utec for 200 :). I just don't like the open source tuning and prefer to go with something like the Utec and I just can't stand the AP. I shouldn't need to go searching and spend extra just for a protune.

RyanG 07-13-2008 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

dotmichael- I would suggest having your buddy stop by or give us a call and we can go over his options :)

dotmichael 07-15-2008 07:17 AM

dont know how we'd transport the car there, but i'll see if i can give you a call this week