TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   AEM coldiar vs password jdm whale penis intake (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105183)

gsnar 10-14-2010 11:11 PM

AEM coldiar vs password jdm whale penis intake

i have a aem but was thinking about trading for a whale penis intake mainly because it isnt as low as the aem and i dont wanna suck up water. just wondering your opinions on power and anything else you guys wanna add. thanks guys

Murderface 10-15-2010 12:31 AM

I'm thinking you might have better luck with the manatee anus setup.

Maxxdsix 10-15-2010 12:52 AM

whales penis looks so much sexier, especially in Carbon Kevlar.

enohand 10-15-2010 01:38 AM

wy not get one of those AEM water bypas valves

ketchup! 10-15-2010 02:01 AM

just get an ebay intake

jpalamar 10-15-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsnar (Post 1833461)
i have a aem but was thinking about trading for a whale penis intake mainly because it isnt as low as the aem and i dont wanna suck up water. just wondering your opinions on power and anything else you guys wanna add. thanks guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murderface (Post 1833509)

HAHAHAHA

OP, you have bigger fish to fry, or whale penis to fry, then worring about 1 HP from an intake. Don't drive your car into a river and you will be fine.

Rado_VR6 10-15-2010 09:54 AM

Re: AEM coldiar vs password jdm whale penis intake

Mmmm, whale penis.

420sx 10-15-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpalamar (Post 1833634)
HAHAHAHA

OP, you have bigger fish to fry, or whale penis to fry, then worring about 1 HP from an intake. Don't drive your car into a river and you will be fine.

^This.

The difference between the two intakes will BARELY be noticable, if at all. If youre really that concerned about water, then switch it. Youll MOST LIKELY not ever suck up enough water to do any damage. The AEM bypass valves suck- they essentially turn your CAI into an SRI, and by that point you might as well just run the SRI.

IMO the best intake setup for a honda is a short ram intake tube, a velocity stack on the end of that, a cone filter over the velocity stack, and a comptech icebox around all of that. The comptech icebox isnt made anymore, but I was able to find one when I had my integra. Basically gives you all the pro's of a CAI with no chance of sucking up water (because the filter is still in the engine bay, and the icebox isnt watertight). So if the bottom of the icebox went under water, there wouldnt be sufficient suction to bring the water up into the intake and into the engine.

RedBowTies88 10-15-2010 10:10 AM

break out some schedule 40 and a hole saw... run a snorkel straight out of the hood ;) always cold air air too :)

lownslow95 10-15-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murderface (Post 1833509)

Thanks...I now need to clean my computer screen off. :rotfl:

gsnar 10-17-2010 01:43 AM

thanks 420sx the rest of you can eat ****

denmah 10-17-2010 03:25 AM

make one out of dryer tubing

RSX Type-Slow 10-17-2010 10:49 PM

I vote Whale Penis. Because Penis's are cool.

gsnar 10-17-2010 11:49 PM

yeahh... well i am all about the penis so..

alansupra94 10-17-2010 11:56 PM

If you have a cold air intake and no bypass valve, you are asking for trouble.

420sx 10-18-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansupra94 (Post 1834787)
If you have a cold air intake and no bypass valve, you are asking for trouble.

Meh, I disagree with this. If you have a cold air intake and no bypass valve and you DO run into trouble- you were probably doing something you shouldnt have been doing in a Honda Civic to begin with. Like crossing a lake.

Driving with a cold air is very simple. If the water is deeper than 6 inches.. You cant cross it. Thats it.

Driving in the rain is not going to hydrolock your motor. You need to completely SUBMERGE the filter and suck up straight water to hydrolock the motor. The occasional splash on the filter may affect the way the car runs, (ie you may notice it doing something different), but unless you completely submerge the cone, you wont hydrolock it.

Dont get me wrong- I still think its better to be safe then sorry. But if you hydrolock your motor, you were probably doing something you shouldnt have been, and at the very least are partially to blame.

Like I said- short ram intake (like whale cock), with a velocity stack, cone filter over that, and a comptech icebox around that. Best of both worlds.

RedBowTies88 10-18-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420sx (Post 1834870)
Meh, I disagree with this. If you have a cold air intake and no bypass valve and you DO run into trouble- you were probably doing something you shouldnt have been doing in a Honda Civic to begin with. Like crossing a lake.

Driving with a cold air is very simple. If the water is deeper than 6 inches.. You cant cross it. Thats it.

Driving in the rain is not going to hydrolock your motor. You need to completely SUBMERGE the filter and suck up straight water to hydrolock the motor. The occasional splash on the filter may affect the way the car runs, (ie you may notice it doing something different), but unless you completely submerge the cone, you wont hydrolock it.

Dont get me wrong- I still think its better to be safe then sorry. But if you hydrolock your motor, you were probably doing something you shouldnt have been, and at the very least are partially to blame.

Like I said- short ram intake (like whale cock), with a velocity stack, cone filter over that, and a comptech icebox around that. Best of both worlds.

this is completely correct, and trust me..i've hydrolocked a few motors. it's harder then you may assume

SovXietday 10-18-2010 11:32 AM

I prefer those intakes that whistle real loud. What are they called again?

Oh right, a turbo. ;)

alansupra94 10-18-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420sx (Post 1834870)

My friend with a cold air intake in high school hit a decently sized pothole and it ruined his motor. Pistons where rounded out pretty well.

I mean I guess that is my personal preference if I ever ran a cold air intake. Then again, I don't ever seeing myself going with anything outside of a DD that is non-turbo.

420sx 10-18-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansupra94 (Post 1834985)
My friend with a cold air intake in high school hit a decently sized pothole and it ruined his motor. Pistons where rounded out pretty well.

Im confused. Thats like saying "my friend drove his car with bald tires and his turbo blew up." A. How does a pothole ruin a motor, unless he ripped the oil pan off.. and B, what does a pothole have to do with a cold air intake? Unless youre saying he hit a pothole that caused him to submerge his intake, and if thats the case- he hit a LAKE, not a pothole.

Also, im not sure what you meant by "pistons were rounded out," but in the case of hydrolocking, usually the piston will completely blow apart. I sucked up water in an ATV a few years ago, and the piston was undamaged, except for a hole the size of a quarter in the top of it.

Thanks for the new sig, alex. :mrgreen: