TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Talk (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   SR 20 GURUS CALLED UPON!! cam oppinions (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88043)

turbo88crx 09-28-2009 06:52 PM

SR 20 GURUS CALLED UPON!! cam oppinions

OK, im looking at cams, springs and retainers mainly because i ended up with a tap and a broken exhaust man stud in the head. So the heads coming off and goin to the machine shop.

Im currently running a sr (red top)on 15psi basically stock otherwise, for about 9 months or so. Im going to do the head gasket and studs while its off and run it on the stock turbo with the cams in it, and have plans to do injectors, power fc, and a gt28 64 or 71 later (still not decided on that either) shooting for 360-380whp on stock bottom end. I dont want to have to get bigger cams later or not be able to drive it on the stock turbo. I basically want to know what you guys have used and how its performed. Im thinking about brian crower stage 2 (264/264 Duration and 12.06mm/12.06mm Lift), and also wondering if i should do valves too.

Basically this...
http://www.frsport.com/Brian-Crower-...T_p_12802.html

What ya guys think? any helps greatly appreceated

ho1ywars 09-29-2009 09:07 PM

i hear jim wolf tech's cams are the ****. i also hear alot of people have problems with bc cams. like they made a bad batch or some garbage. but this is all that i read, i have no personal experience with either. when i decide to go with cams im 99.9 percent sure i am going with jim wolf tech unless somone talks me out of it. im probably going to go with a c1 or c2 cam. im running a gt3071r. i dunno, do some research about jwt

i would do solid lifters, and springs no matter what you do just cause the sr head is so weak stock.

turbo88crx 09-29-2009 09:47 PM

Thanks for the input, every lil bit helps. I fig id get more replies on here bein so many 240 guys

ho1ywars 09-29-2009 09:51 PM

there is a dude named ACE on here.. he is the master of the t28. hopefully he will chime in for your. he is turning out something like 400rwhp on a t28.

92sileighty 09-29-2009 10:51 PM

don't go with brian crowers. if you want cams just buy tomei poncams, they arn't that expensive and they have more roatation then the hks cams. and they wont f*ck your head up like BC's will. as for springs and retainers. it really doesn't matter all that much.

turbo88crx 09-30-2009 08:04 AM

Ok, I've heard from a bunch of guys sayin the tomie poncams r the way to go. What are your guys inputs on the solid lifters? And does everyone pretty much agree the rocker arm stoppers are the way to go?

mr_eh 09-30-2009 09:04 AM

i have a motor waiting to go in the car with bc272s ... i've seen cars with them make power, however if i'm not happy with the first round of tuning they will be the first thing i replace.

rocker arm stoppers are an absolute must if you plan on making power. a full race 35r twin scroll is waiting to go onto this motor

Bored .20 Over
JE 2618 T6 Forged Pistons
Manley H-Beam Rods
Tomei Wrist Pins
Nismo High Tencil Bearing Cap Bolts
Nismo Coil Packs
Timken Main & Thrust Bearings
ARP Head Studs
3 Angle Valve Job by JGY Customs
Brian Crower Stage 3 272 Cams
Brian Crower Retainers / Springs / Guides
Brian Crower Billet Crank
Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers
Greddy Intake Manifold
Greddy Oil Pan
Greddy Cam Gears
Greddy Fuel Rail
Q45 Throttle Body 90mm (82.5mm plate)
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pressure Regulator
Cosworth Head Gasket
RC Engineering 1000cc Injectors

92sileighty 09-30-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo88crx (Post 1523199)
Ok, I've heard from a bunch of guys sayin the tomie poncams r the way to go. What are your guys inputs on the solid lifters? And does everyone pretty much agree the rocker arm stoppers are the way to go?

you don't really need lifters, i mean if you were doing some crazy motor build and you put the tomei procams in then lifters would be good. but its like adjustable cam gears, if your not going all out you don't need them. and RAS are like no more than 100 bucks you should definitely get them. an easy way to prevent a bent valve.

turbo88crx 09-30-2009 05:39 PM

Thanks guys this is just the input I need. U guys think the 264 cam is the way to go on a stock motor that's gonna go gt28 later. Or should I go bigger with springs and retainers, and if I do will it be with on the baby t25? Lol

92sileighty 09-30-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo88crx (Post 1523717)
Thanks guys this is just the input I need. U guys think the 264 cam is the way to go on a stock motor that's gonna go gt28 later. Or should I go bigger with springs and retainers, and if I do will it be with on the baby t25? Lol

264? tomei poncams are only 256, and the procams are 256, 260, 270. the 256 has an 11.5mm lift which is good. the 260 offer a 12mm lift and the 270 has 12.5mm lift. if you decide to go procams, you have to do different springs, and if you doing springs might as well do retainers. imo you should always use better springs and retainers when you upgrade cams. it really depends on what your doing with the car, but if you're gonna be keeping it in the redline, you should really get them. if you're never really gonna drift much you might not need them. i figure while the heads off, might as well. the t25 and t28 will both see noticeable results from cams if that's what you're asking. no matter what you do, a t28 doesn't really get over 330 hp until you throw cams in, so its good you're doing them now.

Ace 09-30-2009 09:48 PM

The only cam worth **** on SR20's are the JWT S3 (for t2 flange) JWT s4 (for t3 flange) and C1 (for 550+ whp cars).

They are the most popular SR (both N/A and turbo) cams in the world for a reason. BC cams are chinese **** that may work to make power, but often find themselves making 20-30 less hp than JWT equipped cars.

HKS cams are great too, but go with Team America, JWT.

smelly240 10-19-2009 10:35 PM

The HKS step 2 264/272 setup is hands down the best cam setup I've used - but for a T2 flange they might be a bit much. The poncams are marvelous. S3's and S4's both lack top end power.

Renegade_ 10-20-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smelly240 (Post 1544599)
The HKS step 2 264/272 setup is hands down the best cam setup I've used - but for a T2 flange they might be a bit much.

Yeah, they choke out my T28 up top like a champion - boost hits great, but then when they start to flow up top... well, the turbo just doesn't like it, it feels like.

mr_eh 10-20-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

The HKS step 2 264/272 setup is hands down the best cam setup I've used - but for a T2 flange they might be a bit much. The poncams are marvelous. S3's and S4's both lack top end power.

heh, i know i posted i was going with the bcs i already had but i dumped them in favor of this setup... i hope they are big enough to go with the 35r, from what i've read they should be fine

op; i have some cheap bc 272/272's if you want =V

Ace 11-10-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

The poncams are marvelous. S3's and S4's both lack top end power.

Probably a tune issue then, as the countless S3 cars we've done, all peak around 6500ish, and hold darn near flat till redline. Again, there is a reason these cams are used by (coincidentally) the guys who make the most power per setup. The only guys I've seen with 'drop offs' on the top end are smalllllll turbo (like stock) or N/A.

Another thing I've been trying to research (albiet hard without having all run files across all dynos) are power over comparitive time, and average power in specific blocks of RPM range,and how they react. (Like, will a car with 20 more ft lbs/hp before 5500/6k be faster than a car with 10 more hp/trq untill redline) All interesting to see, as then you also fight turbos, and setups...but in a generalized sense ya know?

I'm interested to know more about your 264/272 setup, and with what turbo you were running. Taking total effective time on both of them, it would be interesting to compare another 264 on the exhaust with a cam gear to see if you could shift the power band in a similar aspect while retaining effectiveness.

I will find a beater car someday to do a real cam test on someday. I can find N/A cars all day, but no turbo guys haha.