TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pennsylvania Inspections... (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92403)

Z28YourStang 12-31-2009 02:58 AM

Pennsylvania Inspections...

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions regarding PA inspections. I have a 2000 Camaro Z28 and I'm planning on doing long tube headers and the EGR/AIr delete. As I am told, long tube headers and egr/air delete are an automatic fail as they "throw codes". I plan on having the cat code and egr/air code tuned out while trying to keep the car exempt from emissions. (driving under 5,000 miles a year) I was just wondering how exactly they do it. What is the process? Pass them hooking it up from the computer as it's newer than 1995 and I'm in the clear, or what?

Renegade_ 12-31-2009 03:34 AM

You would have to look up whether or not emission exempt requires an OBD scan. If there is no check engine light and no need to scan OBDII when you keep it under the limit, you could get away with it.

I'm not commenting on legality outright, though. Then again, I can get my car inspected too.

Z28YourStang 12-31-2009 03:47 AM

The mechanic that is doing the work is the same guy that built and inspected by dads 89 Trans Am that ran long tubes and straight pipes. I almost get the sense that since both my dad and I have/had everything done by him I'll get an easy pass and my being "exempt" won't even matter... but I could be wrong lol I'll be there on later to talk to him about everything.

420sx 12-31-2009 09:25 AM

Heres what you can do if you cant get it to pass... Buy a 2nd gauge cluster, one with less than 5000 miles more than what your car had last year. Swap in the 2nd cluster, have it inspected (emissions exempt), and then swap the original cluster back in. Now you have a 2nd cluster for inspection, and dont have to worry about keeping the car under 5000 miles.

Z28YourStang 12-31-2009 10:20 AM

Just caught my mom as she was walking out the door and asked her how my dad did his inspection on the Firebird, and from what she knows he always took it to the mechanic who does our "work". My dad always said that I should go there as I would "taken care of". So I assume this is what he meant? lol

DPancoast 12-31-2009 12:16 PM

it means you're probably just going to get stickers regardless lol....

Renegade_ 12-31-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420sx (Post 1607019)
Heres what you can do if you cant get it to pass...

...Just take that down so inspection places dont start marking **** and picking up on it. Thats been my trick for a while now...

420sx 12-31-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade_ (Post 1607272)
...Just take that down so inspection places dont start marking **** and picking up on it. Thats been my trick for a while now...

Lol, its not a new concept.. Im sure inspection places know it's done.

When I did it for my Integra, it was done at the recommendation of the mechanic who was inspecting it. Its no secret. :lol:

terfer 01-01-2010 03:28 AM

I have a race headers with an absence of cat therefore throwing a cel........anyone know where in the Philly area I can get "inspected." PM me if you're able to help. :)

Renegade_ 01-01-2010 04:06 AM

Hey, terfer... If you need a place in state college to pass you, hit me up... Also if you want to drift in SC, hit me up too haha

terfer 01-01-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade_ (Post 1607564)
Hey, terfer... If you need a place in state college to pass you, hit me up... Also if you want to drift in SC, hit me up too haha

pm'ed thanks!

Willdue 01-01-2010 04:12 PM

Just dont drive it 5k miles like me lol

OutToWinPAHC 01-01-2010 04:31 PM

Or just get the ECU tuned not to show those codes. I run the same ECU an I have a lot of codes tuned out.

nvr2lows10 01-31-2010 03:47 PM

yeah your going to have to tune all the codes out or delete them and hope it has enough parameteres to pass with no lights.

KingpinCEO 04-19-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terfer (Post 1607557)
I have a race headers with an absence of cat therefore throwing a cel........anyone know where in the Philly area I can get "inspected." PM me if you're able to help. :)

i need the same thing. i have tube headers, and i deleted my Cat to put in a Wideband 02 for my engine management system.

i need a place that can pass my car without a cat. I do drive alot less than 5k a year.. probably closer to 1,000 mi.

i'm debating on throwing a universal cat back in temporarily, but then i'll have to re-program my standalone ECM, and thats way too much hassle. plus i'll have to drive it with a sh*tty tune.

anyway.. if anyone can help, or have advice.. please PM me.
i'd like to keep it closer to the delaware border. like philly, or chester.
poconos is cool too,.. but state college is way too far to drive this car.

thanks

fccs 04-26-2010 08:32 PM

Either get it tuned out or get 02 sims. I had mine tuned out, it won't throw any ses light then.

terfer 06-03-2010 09:06 PM

Will you fail if TPMS light is illuminated?

jpalamar 06-03-2010 09:42 PM

You will fail. It's only a faulty safety feature... guess its not that important.

Maxxdsix 06-03-2010 10:34 PM

you just need to get someone who will pass you regardless

terfer 06-04-2010 07:03 PM

I know in NY, you will pass. I was wondering if it was different with PA...

It isn't a faulty feature...my rims simply don't have tpms in them...therefore light stays on.