TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Turbo experts please chime in. (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89459)

18psiWhiteMS3 10-25-2009 06:31 PM

Turbo experts please chime in.

i bought a used ATP gt3076 with about 8000 miles on it for my mazdaspeed3 and i know it had been sitting for 3 months. it had no signs of any leaks when it was taken off and i had a shop that deals with turbos on a regular basis look at it and they said it looked fine. anyway when i was home and the turbo off the car i plugged the oil feed hole and filled the turbo with oil on the drain side to let the bearing soak in oil for 15 minutes just because i felt like it because it had been sitting. anyway i had the turbo laying on the compressor outlet so it was at a slight downward angle. anyway today(2 days later) i noticed oil had started running down the compressor outlet on the turbo. is this normal for oil to seep thought when its not on the car with no oil pressure?? or did i buy a NO good turbo

97TurboDSM 10-25-2009 06:38 PM

wrong section chiefton.

Got Insulin? 10-25-2009 07:09 PM

Sounds like your seals might be toast, just get it rebuilt and you'll be straight. On a side-note, you didn't really need to "fill" it like that. When you put a turbo on a car, new or used, generally it's recomened to crank the engine for a minute, in ten second "on" ten second "off" periods to do the same thing you were more or less trying to do.

18psiWhiteMS3 10-25-2009 08:35 PM

so u dont think oil pressure will seal it?? the turbo has 4000 miles on it and it had 0 sign of ever leaking when it was uninstalled from my friends car. it only leaked when i let it sit filled.
i just am in denial that its bad. how much will it cost to sent to atp to rebuild if thats the case??

inteva6184 10-25-2009 08:50 PM

I would think it is fine. Oil is not really meant to sit in the cartridge and the turbo is not meant to sit on its side like that. I would think its fine but theres only one way to find out for sure install it already.

Got Insulin? 10-25-2009 08:51 PM

Seeing as I'm not ATP, I'd give them a call and see if they can give you an estimate. If not, I think it's Blouche that rebuilds turbos around here, too. Rebuilds can be all over the spectrum, though. My basically totalled FP Green 20G was a $780 rebuild, that's with everything but the housings replaced, about half the price of the turbo new, but like I said, give ATP a call. You'll probably have to send it out to them, but much better safe than sorry.

18psiWhiteMS3 10-25-2009 08:57 PM

i need to call atp and ask about the leak tomorrow. im just very impatient and wanted to know now but i dont think im going to know for sure till i call them

18psiWhiteMS3 10-25-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inteva6184 (Post 1550572)
I would think it is fine. Oil is not really meant to sit in the cartridge and the turbo is not meant to sit on its side like that. I would think its fine but theres only one way to find out for sure install it already.

i kinda think u are right tho cause it was filled upside down and sat upside down. it was not meant for that. i hope atp tells me its fine. ill be pissed if i have to rebuild it

18psiWhiteMS3 10-27-2009 08:42 PM

ok guys this is the email that ATP sent me, now all you know...
Hi Brian,
You'll be relieved to know that the leak described is exactly what the turbo is supposed to in the test described.
The seals don't work until they are in the car, shaft parallel to the ground and is rotating.
Hope that helps.
Thanks!

97TurboDSM 10-27-2009 09:45 PM

install time.

Kill-Bill 10-28-2009 09:28 PM

yep...will be just fine.