TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Honda / Acura Talk (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Honda Help. Turbo or NA (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128132)

JDMTyler3326 11-15-2012 09:24 AM

Honda Help. Turbo or NA

So I know there is tons of honda heads on here and I need help with my build. Im not sure if I wanna turbo my B16 or keep it NA. As is right now I beat stage 2 srt4s, k20s...

JDM B16b on b16 trans
-auto zone Intake
-Buddy Club Header
-Buddy Club 2.5 Exhaust
-Type R cams
-Chipped and Tuned p28.

Vtec at 4800 and redline at 9400.

Tons of people are telling me to booast my car and it will be a beast motor.

I heard b16s and Type R cams on boost are known to blow up and I dont wanna do that.

I can change out the pistons and get a better fuel rail, injectors, and Hondata and run a small turbo at 9psi and be close to 300wph.

Or I was thinking about doing
All motor with
-Buddy Club Header
-Buddy Club 2.5 Exhaust
-Type R cams
-Type R Inake Mani
-3 Inch AEM Intake
-TB (Not sure of what kind yet)
-Hondata s200
-Port and Polish Head
-Injectors (not sure what size)

I also want to change out my b16 5th gear with a LS 5th gear.

And have a all motor beast close to 205whp. I am going towards all motor more cause I don't wanna risk blowing my motor up with a turbo.

lownslow95 11-15-2012 09:54 AM

I'd do an all motor build.

jpalamar 11-15-2012 10:05 AM

It will get stolen so it doesn't really matter what you do.

mcperson2k 11-15-2012 10:24 AM

Aren't 'stage 2' srt4's running like 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile times? How are you beating them?

OutToWinPAHC 11-15-2012 10:35 AM

I hate the term stages and blowing up because of cams..... I dont see that. Different cams for NA and boost when coming to splits and overlap so they may not be the best for boost but at the end of the day they were safe enough to be a factory cam. Blowing up motors comes to a few things, unhealthy motor, oiling issues, cooling issues, and a bad tune/timing. So if your compression numbers are good and you plan on boost you should do a few things oil pump water pump timing set, head resurfaced and use a quality MLS gasket, ARP head studs. Proper research for oil feed and drain, and a quality tune for the set up. Taking factory NA motors and just slapping cheap turbo kits on them is not the way to go if you want it to last

JDMTyler3326 11-15-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpalamar (Post 2178070)
It will get stolen so it doesn't really matter what you do.

Hater

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcperson2k (Post 2178074)
Aren't 'stage 2' srt4's running like 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile times? How are you beating them?

Ran two from digs last night and i get them about 1.5 cars. Im gutted out with no PS and AC
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutToWinPAHC (Post 2178075)
I hate the term stages and blowing up because of cams..... I dont see that. Different cams for NA and boost when coming to splits and overlap so they may not be the best for boost but at the end of the day they were safe enough to be a factory cam. Blowing up motors comes to a few things, unhealthy motor, oiling issues, cooling issues, and a bad tune/timing. So if your compression numbers are good and you plan on boost you should do a few things oil pump water pump timing set, head resurfaced and use a quality MLS gasket, ARP head studs. Proper research for oil feed and drain, and a quality tune for the set up. Taking factory NA motors and just slapping cheap turbo kits on them is not the way to go if you want it to last

I am gonna do more research on it.

underpressure02 11-15-2012 10:43 AM

I have a hard time believing you are beating stage 2 srts and k20 motors with your current setup but if you say so.

Type r cams won't blow your motor they are actually pretty good for turbo cars. Just because you run all motor cams on a turbo setup isn't going to blow your motor. I made more power with skunk 2 pro 2 all motor cams then I did with the pro 2 turbo cams on my car. Just make sure you degree the cams in and get the car tuned.

Scapegoat 11-15-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcperson2k (Post 2178074)

there were a handful of stock srt's back in the day pulling those numbers. i doubt this guy is beating stage 2 srt4s when he WANTS to have a "beast" that puts down 205whp.

Dominick 11-15-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lownslow95 (Post 2178068)
I'd do an all motor build.

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by underpressure02 (Post 2178078)
I have a hard time believing you are beating stage 2 srts and k20 motors with your current setup but if you say so.

Type r cams won't blow your motor they are actually pretty good for turbo cars. Just because you run all motor cams on a turbo setup isn't going to blow your motor. I made more power with skunk 2 pro 2 all motor cams then I did with the pro 2 turbo cams on my car. Just make sure you degree the cams in and get the car tuned.

With the EK hatchs being as light as they are, and his VTEC engaging at 4800, I can certainly see him pulling on K20s and some SRT4's.

JDMTyler, I would go the Buddy Club N/A motor route you had listed. EVERYONE turbos Honda's. It's getting to monotonus. It takes more ability to build a N/A motor and have it beat boosted cars.

I'd get some 700ish injectors and maybe a ITR throttle body to add to your list.

grimm 11-15-2012 11:06 AM

i would sell the b16 and buy a d series and turbo that. i imagine you'll be able to get more power from a turbo d then a mild build of a b. plus you might even have some cash leftover in the end. ohh and when the d series pops you can more easily afford a new one in comparison to the b.

underpressure02 11-15-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominick (Post 2178080)
x2

With the EK hatchs being as light as they are, and his VTEC engaging at 4800, I can certainly see him pulling on K20s and some SRT4's.

JDMTyler, I would go the Buddy Club N/A motor route you had listed. EVERYONE turbos Honda's. It's getting to monotonus. It takes more ability to build a N/A motor and have it beat boosted cars.

I'd get some 700ish injectors and maybe a ITR throttle body to add to your list.

EK hatches aren't light. I have an all motor ek hatch With most of the bs removed and it still weighs 2550 with a half tank of gas. Also he said beating srt's and k20 not pulling on them.

205 HP isn't a monster NA motor that is hardly anything.

92accordex 11-15-2012 11:24 AM

ugh. you bought such a correctly built car. Why mess it up? Chances are (speaking from past experience) youll mess with motor, not be able to fix it, then sell for a loss. As much as I wouldnt mind that, because Id take this car off your hands:) It's not a good idea. Leave it as is.Maybe do some minor boltons you or a friend could handle. But "building" a motor or boosting it isn't a walk in the park. You know im here for help always man. Just some c&c

jpalamar 11-15-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMTyler3326 (Post 2178077)
Hater

I'm not a hater... I'm just smarter then you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92accordex (Post 2178092)
ugh. you bought such a correctly built car. Why mess it up? Chances are (speaking from past experience) youll mess with motor, not be able to fix it, then sell for a loss. As much as I wouldnt mind that, because Id take this car off your hands:) It's not a good idea. Leave it as is.Maybe do some minor boltons you or a friend could handle. But "building" a motor or boosting it isn't a walk in the park. You know im here for help always man. Just some c&c

This is exactly what I was thinking.

cvcrcr99 11-15-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMTyler3326 (Post 2178067)
I can change out the pistons and get a better fuel rail, injectors, and Hondata and run a small turbo at 9psi and be close to 300wph.

Or I was thinking about doing
All motor with
-Buddy Club Header
-Buddy Club 2.5 Exhaust
-Type R cams
-Type R Inake Mani
-3 Inch AEM Intake
-TB (Not sure of what kind yet)
-Hondata s200
-Port and Polish Head
-Injectors (not sure what size)

Isn't a B16b that the Civic Type R motor? How would adding Type R cams and etc to it help?

If you are staying N/A Fuel rail would be overkill IMO. Hondata S200 is outdated. Just go for the S300. If you are staying N/A, I am sure 440cc injectors will be plenty unless you plan on running E85. That's about all of the constructive criticism I can provide without getting too involved in this thread. PM me if you have any specific questions.

saxon 11-15-2012 12:55 PM

I wouldn't do anything, it seems like you don't know a damn thing saying you added type r cams on a motor that already has them

turbo it with a legit (full race, synapse etc) and get a good tune, will be 300+ hp easy

Big_Jim 11-15-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMTyler3326 (Post 2178077)
Hater

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpalamar (Post 2178100)
I'm not a hater... I'm just smarter then you.

New line for the sig. hahahaha

russiankid 11-15-2012 01:22 PM

Don't mess with it, you don't need to be the fastest kid around. You can make it go 11's on all motor, had a buddy who did with a B16.

SovXietday 11-15-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominick (Post 2178080)

Stop. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

OP, I don't think you know what it takes to do either build, so I would just leave it the way it is. Your mod list is... all over the place. You've addressed all the wrong areas, under addressed some of the most crucial, and completely missed the rest.

Got Insulin? 11-15-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SovXietday (Post 2178130)

OP, I don't think you know what it takes to do either build, so I would just leave it the way it is. Your mod list is... all over the place. You've addressed all the wrong areas, under addressed some of the most crucial, and completely missed the rest.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...edi1/bingo.gif

Dominick 11-15-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SovXietday (Post 2178130)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Insulin? (Post 2178147)

**** me right? :mad: