TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Understanding the Christmas Tree and how to react (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65910)

Soda Popinski 10-20-2008 01:59 PM

Understanding the Christmas Tree and how to react

So I did some reading around... and since I have a 5EAT Legacy GT I was wondering the best way to get the best reaction time when I go down to the track some day.

I kinda understand that I have to break launch (into boost) but when do I let off the brakes? When I see that 3rd amber light up or green? I'm thinking that the auto might make the car roll forwards... and the timing of the light is 1/2 a second from the 3rd amber to green.

Any suggestions?

alwaysinboost 10-20-2008 02:55 PM

are you planning on bracket racing or do you just want to see what your car will run?

Soda Popinski 10-20-2008 03:12 PM

Well, as a personal goal I want to see just how good I can do. But since I've never done it, and if it tickles my fancy... I might consider it too. Just wondering what the best way to time the lights for the best RT and 1/4's.

alwaysinboost 10-20-2008 03:16 PM

the reason I asked is because unless you are bracket racing your RT has no effect on your ET.

back to your original question, as far as bracket racing an auto goes and getting a good RT, I don't have an auto and I don't bracket race so I can't help ya out with either. sorry.

Renegade_ 10-20-2008 03:30 PM

It all depends on driver and car. See how you do mashing the gas right when the light turns green. Find out your r/t. If its like 1.0 (let's say), then the next run do it half a second before the green light lights up, see what your r/t is and keep on working it down until you have a feel for it.

HickRocket1258 10-20-2008 04:02 PM

I have been bracket racing for 8 years since I was 14 years old and sometimes I still have trouble finding the tree determining what car I am using. There are a lot of variables and not just when you try and leave the tree. There are different ways you can try and work on your reaction time. You can go in real shallow by real slowly bumping in and I mean slowly. If you notice it is a slow reaction time bump in a little farther each time after you light up the stage bulb. You can lower and raise air pressure in the front tires to affect the rollout on your car. There are just many ways you can change it, but if you aren't getting into bracket racing I won't tell you the other things, because some of them are drastic changes.

C'DALERIDER 10-21-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost (Post 1086823)
the reason I asked is because unless you are bracket racing your RT has no effect on your ET.

back to your original question, as far as bracket racing an auto goes and getting a good RT, I don't have an auto and I don't bracket race so I can't help ya out with either. sorry.

exactly. In that car, LGT, brake boost her till she reach;s hopfully 2500-3k rpm then let go. Start brake boosting just b4 the light starts down but there is NO NO need to GO on GREEn if you are out to see what the car can do in the 1/4. IOW,....the timer dont start till you leave that spot! Your reaction time can be 4 seconds etc. Who cares (except the fella staging next).

CHAOS 10-21-2008 02:19 PM

go on the 3rd yellow. :)

HickRocket1258 10-21-2008 02:34 PM

There is a difference though to how far you want to stage the car. If you ever notice most people just roll in until they see they are staged. Well what you don't realize is that if you stage the car real shallow (I mean bump it is inch by inch really slow) you will get the best ET out of your car because that allows the car to roll through the beams and pick up speed before it starts your ET. The deeper you go in the slower your car will be.

Chris215 10-21-2008 03:36 PM

Here I posted a guide I found that might help. http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...newthread&f=22

SovXietday 10-22-2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HickRocket1258 (Post 1088667)
There is a difference though to how far you want to stage the car. If you ever notice most people just roll in until they see they are staged. Well what you don't realize is that if you stage the car real shallow (I mean bump it is inch by inch really slow) you will get the best ET out of your car because that allows the car to roll through the beams and pick up speed before it starts your ET. The deeper you go in the slower your car will be.

Yup, if you just barely light up the staging lights you will have effectively given yourself a "running" start. :)