PDA

View Full Version : Key made from vin number?

sleepersatty99
06-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Hey does anyone know about how it costs to have a key made from the cars vin? either from the dealer or a locksmith or any other suggestions would be great.

My wife's car key is so worn down that the ignition cylinder is giving a lot of trouble with it. I tried graphite that worked for awhile but now that's not even working.

Thanks

jpalamar
06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Call the deal for a quote. Just bring ID and your registration card with you to prove it is your car.

Yes SiR
06-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I just had keys made via my VIN for my CRX from the dealership and they were $2.50 per key. However, it's significantly more expensive for newer vehicle keys.

thefro526
06-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I just had to go through this.

I paid $15 to have two computer cut keys from my Nissan Keycode on the dash.

I got it done by Labar's Lock Shop (http://labarslock.com/)

They were really, really polite and easy to work with, and they were able to cut a key when the dealership couldn't.

JeremyPA
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
honestly, it depends on if the key has a chip in it. If it does, you're probably looking at 100ish, or the stealership will rape you for more.

i_ride_fieroGT
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
It depends on how old the car is. Sometimes they only go back X amount of years. Its not expensive though. I dont even think they charge you to do it but. It needs to be done at the dealership. Most Locksmith's dont have access to VIN's

420sx
06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah it should be less than $100. God forbid you ever need it done for a motorcycle though. Paid $300 to have a locksmith make me a key for my bike. As soon as he finished, I changed into long pants and found my friggin original key in my pants pocket. FML.

jpalamar
06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah it should be less than $100. God forbid you ever need it done for a motorcycle though. Paid $300 to have a locksmith make me a key for my bike. As soon as he finished, I changed into long pants and found my friggin original key in my pants pocket. FML.

Suzuki dealer charged me $15 to make a key with my vin. You paid $300 because he probally had to repalace the ignition, gas, and seat locks as well. Thats just crazy when it isn't hard to get them made.

420sx
06-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Suzuki dealer charged me $15 to make a key with my vin. You paid $300 because he probally had to repalace the ignition, gas, and seat locks as well. Thats just crazy when it isn't hard to get them made.

I dont buy that. Motorcycle's dont work like cars- there is no "key code" linked to the VIN. They cant tell what your key is just from a VIN. Believe me, i looked into that. Called three different suzuki dealer****s and they all told me the same thing- unless you have the key code that came with the original set of keys (which I didnt have because im the third owner), then youre SOL. They CANNOT make a key for a motorcycle with just a VIN. And thats the same for all four jap companies.

He didnt replace anything. He used a bunch of tools and a blank and felt around inside my ignition, and made a new key from scratch. Took about an hour and a half.

sleepersatty99
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
OK well i went and got a key made from the dealer it cost 41 bucks. 30 for them to get code for the key then another 10 for the key. Now mind you the does not have any chips in the. He told me the code was just the Template for the key. What a bunch of ****. Well Long story short the new key didn't work so now its time for a new ignition cylinder. This should be fun and cost any where between 200 and 400. Depending on where i get it from.

sleepersatty99
06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Well i got it all fixed (I think). It does not seem to be the ignition cylinder but in fact the steering wheel lock. but the new key dpes work a lot better.

97TurboDSM
06-05-2010, 09:16 AM
hope its not a VW. costs $250+ for a new key/fob.

russiankid
06-05-2010, 09:18 AM
$50 for my 95' BMW.

SL8Brick
06-05-2010, 09:42 AM
hope its not a VW. costs $250+ for a new key/fob.

It really depends on which model VW you're buying a key for, because they're not all the same. The most common VW/Audi 'folding key w/remote' is about $135 cut to VIN...non-remote keys are about $65. They do get a bit more pricey for the Passats, CCs, and late-model Audis. Since most of these vehicles have immobilizer systems, all new keys must my programmed via VAGCOM to be made functional. Key prices and coding fees can vary from dealer to dealer...but most of my customers purchase their keys for far less than $250 out-the-door. :)

97TurboDSM
06-05-2010, 11:50 AM
its $160 for a folding key to be cut and $95 to have it programmed to your car. at least at autohaus of lancaster it is.