PDA

View Full Version : Question about EMRA

htheduck
01-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Does Emra host lap days and/or driving schools w/instructors?

The website schedule for 2006 indicates the following which I would like an explanation for-anybody?

-TIME TRIAL
-SPRINT RACE
-ENDURO
-Competition race schools

Wreckerboy
01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Sorry to resurrect this oldie back from the dead, but YES, EMRA does have instruction available as part of our Time Trial series. Guessing by your avatar, I *think* you came out to one or two of our events.

Rob
EMRA Chief of Tech

RyanG
01-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Rob, Im palnning on going to one of the May events at Pocono. I know Jim Kymer fairly well and I plan on hitting one event with him. Any tips?

Wreckerboy
01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
First, don't hit anything and have fun! Second, make certain that your safety equipment is up to snuff - as of January 1, EMRA will require Snell 2000 spec helmets as a minimum. Check to make sure your harnesses are within date spec and that they are installed per manufacturer's specifications. The EMRA Car Prep Guide can be downloaded at http://www.emraracing.org/EMRARULE.HTM

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me off-line at chieftech@emraracing.org

Rob

RyanG
01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Sounds good Rob :) thanks

htheduck
01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Sorry to resurrect this oldie back from the dead, but YES, EMRA does have instruction available as part of our Time Trial series. Guessing by your avatar, I *think* you came out to one or two of our events.

Rob
EMRA Chief of Tech
Rob, thanks for the bump of this thread. I have not participated in any EMRA events.

Can you provide me more information about 'instruction' for the TT series?

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics for me-is a TT series a driving school, HPDE, lapping day? :(

Wreckerboy
01-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Nope, not a matter of semantics.

EMRA Time Trials are kinda-sorta like lapping days or HPDEs except that there is a competitive side to it at the end. After (typically) three practice sessions during the course of the day we have timed runs, where each car gets two timed laps to compete for trophies in class. The timed runs are conducted one car at a time, so there is no wheel to wheel action, and thus is a great way for a new person to compete in his or her street car.

During the day, cars are grouped by the relative speed of the driver, and not the car, so you will have all of the students out together, and other drivers out in the faster groups. For example, I run my Miata in the fastest group, and am typically out there hunting Mustangs, 'Vettes, and the like. This year I won my second class championship.

It's 4:45 on Friday, so I am not typing a lot right now, but feel free to poke around the EMRA web site at www.emraracing.org to learn more. This might be a particularly interesting item - http://www.emraracing.org/Emratt.htm#info

Plus, there is beer and trophies at the end of the day....