PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of a Lancer Evolution 8?

MPowerKai
01-30-2006, 01:00 PM
I was just wondering how reliable these things were? I like to redline, I take corners like I'm playing initial d, I've blown up 2 S2000 engines, 1 M3 engine, and blown up one of the turbines on the 3000gt vr4.

(good news is my cars never break down on the road, only at home)

2point4DSM
01-30-2006, 01:09 PM
I've heard the newer M3s had smaller bearings and wore out faster than the older M3s but if you can blow up a stock Honda motor I'm not sure what makes you think the evo motor won't blow up if you float valves, run it lean or overboost it.

Otherwise, the 4g63 motor is cast iron and very robust. Their heads are designed well and the rest of the motor is put together with quality pieces.

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 01:18 PM
I've blown up 2 S2000 engines

WOW :bigeek: :bigeek:

I didn't think you could do that....My one buddy beats the hell outa his and redlines it to 9,000 everytime and its still runing good...what the hell did you do to it...?

Off topic: If nothing is worng with the block and head...wanna send it to me :)

On topic: the only thing I have heard that is weak on the Evo's is thier clutch...but if you blew a Honda motor up, I don't know what the hell you would do to the 4g63.... :confused:

2point4DSM
01-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Is the motor durable enough to go to redline all the time... sure. You might even still get 200k out of it. Just make sure to use quality fluids, change the oil the time, keep a good conservative tune on it and be happy.

blewbyU
01-30-2006, 01:58 PM
I was just wondering how reliable these things were? I like to redline, I take corners like I'm playing initial d, I've blown up 2 S2000 engines, 1 M3 engine, and blown up one of the turbines on the 3000gt vr4.

(good news is my cars never break down on the road, only at home)

learn to drive pal.

wgknestrick
01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
With your history, I don't think any engine will last. There is some sort of pattern here.

You should not be ruining NA engines like that, and I think you have to look at yourself first as to the cause. Any engine is worthless if abused.

1988 Olds
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
learn to drive pal.

What he said

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Is the motor durable enough to go to redline all the time... sure. You might even still get 200k out of it. Just make sure to use quality fluids, change the oil the time, keep a good conservative tune on it and be happy.

Completely understandable....cause he only have I/E and he beats the hell outa it and its in great shape and nothing has gone wrong....seems like you just gotta learn not to float the vavles so much....

MPowerKai
01-30-2006, 02:30 PM
I dunno, I usually get off work around 1 or 2 am and the roads near my house are pretty twisty and fun so I usually drive them to my limit/maybe close to the cars limit?? Lots of heel and toe and lots of redline for prolonged periods due to the fact there is not enough time for me to upshift for it to be worth it.

I know it's the driver. Maybe I should restate the question. How often will it break down on me??

silver05bullet
01-30-2006, 02:37 PM
i beat the **** out of my evo if you dont believe me ask anyone who has seen me driving it and it still hasnt had any major issues, 2 clutches, synchros on the tranny its a 2005, there isnt that many things that can go wrong with the evo other then the transmission, clutch, rear, but thats only if you really beat the living crap out of it

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 02:43 PM
lots of redline for prolonged periods due to the fact there is not enough time for me to upshift for it to be worth it.

seriously, that just isn't right bro. You are bound to blow it the **** up if you keep it redlined....must be nice to blow up multiple cars that are wroth around 32k and up and be able to get a new one....

Gorilla Unit 33
01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
the other thing i have found is when you upgrade the clutch (like tarmacblack & some guys off evom) they tend to blow a transfer case... it can get preety expensive

silver05bullet
01-30-2006, 03:07 PM
its because of the hgarder engagement of the clutches but as long as you keep the restrictor in you shoudl be fine, otherwise the clutch grabs really strong even the street disk act, and when power shifting it will bang like crazy

wonner
01-30-2006, 03:11 PM
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148748&postcount=5

9 Ball
01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
...lots of redline for prolonged periods due to the fact there is not enough time for me to upshift for it to be worth it.

I know it's the driver. Maybe I should restate the question. How often will it break down on me??

The Evo is tough, however, I don’t know of any other car that is still rock solid reliable after 200,000 miles other than a Honda. If you’ve blown a motor on one of those, or an M3, it might be time to examine your driving techniques… seriously. If you spend most of your time driving at 8,000 rpm (for long periods of time) and varying your throttle position (part throttle, mid throttle, full throttle, and still at 8,000 rpm) you won’t be racking up too many miles on your odometer.

If you’ve blown that many motors, you’re gonna have problems with a turbocharged engine. Switching to an Evo isn’t gonna make any difference.

MPowerKai
01-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I just miss turbo awd, just wanted to see if it would break down like once every 3 or 4 months or once a week.

Also to everyone who thinks this comes easy to me it doesn't. I log around 15 hours average at work 7 days a week.

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
I just miss turbo awd, just wanted to see if it would break down like once every 3 or 4 months or once a week.

Also to everyone who thinks this comes easy to me it doesn't. I log around 15 hours average at work 7 days a week.

Where do you work man?...just interested

MPowerKai
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Where do you work man?...just interested

Aozora in Montclair NJ it's a restuarant. They got a zagat rating of 29.

But if I really need money for something big like a new engine then I work for my dad. He has a construction company here in the states and a renting apartment/condo business in Hong Kong.

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Aozora in Montclair NJ it's a restuarant. They got a zagat rating of 29.

So are you like a server? what a zagat rating?

Sorry for asking so many questions...im just lookinga orund for a new job..I hate mine.

MPowerKai
01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
So are you like a server? what a zagat rating?

Sorry for asking so many questions...im just lookinga orund for a new job..I hate mine.

some days I serve other days I bus.

Zagat is a restuarant ranking thing, you can check them out at zagat.com
Their highest rating is a 30.

Our servers make on average 150-175 a night plus a 16 dollar shift pay.
Bus make average 50 dollars a night plus 30 dollar shift pay.

and once again I work for my dad when I need something like a new engine.

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
some days I serve other days I bus.

Zagat is a restuarant ranking thing, you can check them out at zagat.com
Their highest rating is a 30.

Our servers make on average 150-175 a night plus a 16 dollar shift pay.
Bus make average 50 dollars a night plus 30 dollar shift pay.

and once again I work for my dad when I need something like a new engine.

I currently work as a server and make about $140 a night but with only a $2.88 pay rate. Anyway of getting me in?

Little G
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Well I can't really say I beat the hell out of my Evo(when I do I get caught by police), but its been pretty good to me...I change the oil about every 2,500 miles and my clutch is still feeling good...But I only have about 21,000 on the engine...

Gorilla Unit 33
01-30-2006, 06:14 PM
But I only have about 21,000 on the engine...
OMG IN ONE YEAR

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
OMG IN ONE YEAR

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Evolved
01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Instead of wasting money on another car maybe you should consider a driving school or lessons from an instructor.

2point4DSM
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I say go for it. Buy the evo and then you can tell us first hand how tough it is, lol.

My guess is it's tougher than both the Honda and Bimmer.

The Honda is a great car overall and well known for their durability. Still, I think the cast iron block 4g63 is going to be tougher for all out beatings.

Have fun, good luck and let us know what happens.

07BlackSS
01-30-2006, 06:48 PM
The Honda is a great car overall and well known for their durability. Still, I think the cast iron block 4g63 is going to be tougher for all out beatings.

I agree...see how tough the Evo is...I am kinda interested now...

Hey wil...is it possible to put a 4g63 in a civic....no reason of course.. :devil:
EDIT: of course I found a 4G63T powered Civic on Honda-Tech....http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1222050&page=1
Sorry for the thread Hijack....

347gtvert
01-30-2006, 06:57 PM
The motor should be the least of your worries, well atleast its mine. Aslong as your tuned we'll, and do regular maintaince you should be cool. Ive read about 50k+ mileage evo that are run at the track regularly on stock motors. Once you replace the clutch, transfercase, and possibly a tranny you should be cool( some people get lucky, others dont, only thing original in my drivetrain is the tran's). I have yet to read about a serious problem with the evo 9's besides small things.

edit" **** this tarmacblack again"

92dxman
01-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I second the notion of spending some money on a driving school. They really teach you some vital skills. Even look into a novice autocross clinic. The Philly region is holding one in a couple months.

MPowerKai
01-31-2006, 01:46 AM
I've been to those racing type schools several times in several countries.

If I got an Evo oh man I'd be tempted every day to get a misfiring system!

Greddy2000Civic, I could get you in but only as a busboy. Everyone starts from there.

07BlackSS
01-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Greddy2000Civic, I could get you in but only as a busboy. Everyone starts from there.

PM me!

silver05bullet
01-31-2006, 10:23 AM
OMG IN ONE YEAR
I got 41000 right now and its an 05, they really dont have that many problems the car is the least of my worries, now keeping my license from all the tickets i get is something to worry about

9 Ball
01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
I’m at 50,000 miles (this is my second year owning the car.) I’ve launched hard at almost every rpm, and have managed to top out the car on I85 at the North Carolina/Virginia border. I have no doubt it can withstand the additional amount of power I’m about to lay on it and, yes, it’s a tough motor. I have a great deal of respect for what this machine can do, however, I wouldn’t rule out a professional drivers course or two. I think it will save you some money in the long run. Sometimes the best mod is from the driver seat.

And by the way…
...and my clutch is still feeling good...
…get a clutch. It may not be holding all of your available power. Trust me, your car will feel totally different afterwards.:wink:

Gorilla Unit 33
01-31-2006, 04:06 PM
…get a clutch. It may not be holding all of your available power. Trust me, your car will feel totally different afterwards.:wink:
he can hardly drive stick as it is i doubt hell wanna get a stiffer and harder catching clutch

On Sale
01-31-2006, 04:38 PM
he can hardly drive stick as it is i doubt hell wanna get a stiffer and harder catching clutch

ouch...

TROLL
01-31-2006, 04:40 PM
PLEASE post threads in teh appropriate forum... its why we made them. Moving this thread to the Mitsu forum...

turbotool
01-31-2006, 06:40 PM
IMO its a crapshoot. Just like it was with 1gs and 2gs. Just hope you get a good one.

Little G
01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
....... :bigeek:

ok sure........Since I've been driving stick since I was 16 and drive 50 different cars a day thats manual.....That makes sense...

BoM
02-13-2006, 06:45 PM
the engine can hold an incredible amount of boost. Stuff breaks when u race too much.

i have an 03' and already replaced the transfer case with an RS w/ lsd now.
use stock fluids or amsoil.

2point4DSM
02-13-2006, 07:29 PM
IMO its a crapshoot. Just like it was with 1gs and 2gs. Just hope you get a good one.

Greg, what ever happened to your 1st DSM and why the lingering negativity. I'm going to assume you bought it used and you raced it. If that were the case I don't think you could really say Mitsubishis aren't reliable. As we all know, once you mod the car relaibility is out the window and the car is then only as reliable as the person who wrenches on it or the parts you buy.

EVO8YOU
03-03-2006, 02:10 AM
I beat the snot out of mine day in and day out on alky and still going strong

xEJ20x
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
With your history, I don't think any engine will last. There is some sort of pattern here.

You should not be ruining NA engines like that, and I think you have to look at yourself first as to the cause. Any engine is worthless if abused.

:iagree:

You really need to reevaluate your driving technique.

I've been to those racing type schools several times in several countries.

And I can see they've shown you the different between intelligent performance driving and deliberate engine abuse.

If I got an Evo oh man I'd be tempted every day to get a misfiring system!

Ok Kyoichi... :roll:
But then you would be replacing turbochargers every month or two.
And with your current track record, the motor would go shortly after. :roll:

2point4DSM
03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
But then you would be replacing turbochargers every month or two. And with your current track record, the motor would go shortly after. :roll:

Destroying a turbo is a lot easier than destroying a motor. On the other hand, I've seen some turbos come apart so bad that pieces of turbo bearing material made it into the rest of the motor and took the motor out as well.

The 4G63 is a lot tougher than most motors out there but it still works just like all the other 4 cylinder motors out there. You can beat the snot out of it and probably get away with it for quite some time.... considering you don't over-rev the turbo the whole time.

silver05bullet
03-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Some people just dont know how to drive, or something because the 4g63 motor is really reliable if maintained correctly u can put down 500hp on the stock internals come on now thats a strong engine

xEJ20x
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Destroying a turbo is a lot easier than destroying a motor. On the other hand, I've seen some turbos come apart so bad that pieces of turbo bearing material made it into the rest of the motor and took the motor out as well.

The 4G63 is a lot tougher than most motors out there but it still works just like all the other 4 cylinder motors out there. You can beat the snot out of it and probably get away with it for quite some time.... considering you don't over-rev the turbo the whole time.

I am well aware of this.

However, I was implying that the motor would go due to his poor driving habits. Not from misfiring system.
The misfiring would cause the premature wear and eventual failure of said turbos.