PDA

View Full Version : how to build a 98+ miata the right way

stover
04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
ive done some searching but im not having very good luck so i figured id ask the question and see if someone can answer it. i know someone with a 200 miata and they want to pull as much power out of it by stayin N/A and not touching the bottom end. so what im asking is what exhaust/intake and headwork would yield the most power. im not a miata guy so when he came to me i didnt have any answers and would like to help him out. so if anyone has links to builds or parts that i could look up i would greatly appreciate it.

twastheglow
04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
ive done some searching but im not having very good luck so i figured id ask the question and see if someone can answer it. i know someone with a 200 miata and they want to pull as much power out of it by stayin N/A and not touching the bottom end. so what im asking is what exhaust/intake and headwork would yield the most power. im not a miata guy so when he came to me i didnt have any answers and would like to help him out. so if anyone has links to builds or parts that i could look up i would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know jack about Miata's either, but my first inclination would be to check out Miata forums. If anyone's going to have specific answers, it's people on there.

MX5
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Ha, tell your buddy it's more cost effective to go forced induction.

stover
04-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Ha, tell your buddy it's more cost effective to go forced induction.

hes not trying to make big power he just wants to run it at the local auto-x. hes an engine builder so he knows his stuff and has had tons of way faster cars. but this will just be his DD and weekend racer and he wants to get as much power out of it by just doing the head and exhaust

fitftw
04-08-2010, 08:33 AM
really you're not going to see any gains with just i/h/e on a Miata. Tell him to get a custom 2.5" straightpipe from the header back. There are only like 3 header choices: Jackson Racing, Racing Beat, and the rest are cheaper and probably suck. If he is planning to boost sometime, JR would be the header to go with as it will clear.

He knows a V8 can fit in there, right? And a 13B from the RX7. If he can afford it, a swap would be the best option.

MX5
04-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Another thought, I'm not sure about NBs, but with NAs if you port and polish the intake and exhaust fully you need additional fuel management to make up for increased airflow. (ie Megasquirt)

fitftw
04-08-2010, 03:07 PM
^ yo you live in east brizzle? We should do a shoot sometime lol do you go to the rt 18 meets? I went on Monday, too many ricers in my opinion...

MX5
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
^ yo you live in east brizzle? We should do a shoot sometime lol do you go to the rt 18 meets? I went on Monday, too many ricers in my opinion...

I've never been there, I only recently found out that there was even a meet there. I'm in PA til May, but yeah, we should do some Miata shoots. I need to get back into taking pictures.

You just joined the MiataMob right? There's a run next Friday that I'm coming home for, if you can make it you should come.

stover
04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
really you're not going to see any gains with just i/h/e on a Miata. Tell him to get a custom 2.5" straightpipe from the header back. There are only like 3 header choices: Jackson Racing, Racing Beat, and the rest are cheaper and probably suck. If he is planning to boost sometime, JR would be the header to go with as it will clear.

He knows a V8 can fit in there, right? And a 13B from the RX7. If he can afford it, a swap would be the best option.

guys please take it elsewhere if u wanna chat. and as far as wha u said. guess u didnt read that he wants to keep it almost stock since hes going to be runnin auto-x and club racing and doesnt want to end up in a class where he cant keep up. we did suspension today. from what ive read we are going to do a racing beat header/exhaust, a jdm 99+ intake cam. gasket match the intake mani and put on an intake. in a few months or a year the car will end up with a supercharger possibly

disturbedfan121
04-08-2010, 09:14 PM
he has a 99? cause there were no 98's , boosting is much more effective than any any NA mods, a small turbo (2554) with a good exhaust and manifold will spool up just a tad bit slower than a supercharger , but will make more power at the same boost level, and you have the ability to upgrade parts if the boost bug hits. once he supercharges it, thats prtty much it, the car will hit a wall and he won't be able to make it faster w/o building the motor.

stover
04-10-2010, 08:28 PM
like i said hes not going for speed. hes going to be running auto-x and club racing . hes got a 2000

fitftw
04-10-2010, 09:03 PM
for an autox, seriously he doesn't need power. He needs suspension, brakes, and a good wheel/tire combo. That's it. A Miata with those bases covered will demolish V8's in autox. It's not difficult. Toss the A/C and P/S, gut the trunk, that'll shave 100lbs. I'd recommend my setup, but it might be over his budget. So, your homework is to tell us exactly how much money he can spend, and we'll tell you to tell him what to spend it on.

disturbedfan121
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
for an autox, seriously he doesn't need power. He needs suspension, brakes, and a good wheel/tire combo. That's it. A Miata with those bases covered will demolish V8's in autox. It's not difficult. Toss the A/C and P/S, gut the trunk, that'll shave 100lbs. I'd recommend my setup, but it might be over his budget. So, your homework is to tell us exactly how much money he can spend, and we'll tell you to tell him what to spend it on.

+1 let me know

tooslow1
04-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Ls1 swap!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

stover
04-17-2010, 05:38 PM
he dosnt really have a set budget he just determins what he will spend by how much of a benefit it will give him

Miata-Chick
04-18-2010, 10:59 AM
guys please take it elsewhere if u wanna chat. and as far as wha u said. guess u didnt read that he wants to keep it almost stock since hes going to be runnin auto-x and club racing and doesnt want to end up in a class where he cant keep up. we did suspension today. from what ive read we are going to do a racing beat header/exhaust, a jdm 99+ intake cam. gasket match the intake mani and put on an intake. in a few months or a year the car will end up with a supercharger possibly

If he is going to supercharge it, go with Flyin' Miata. I got my supercharger thru them, and they are good people to deal with. You're not going to notice a whole lot of a difference if you stay N/A with the Miata. It wasn't a DRASTIC change either with 5 lbs of boost. But I'm happy with my end result, and I'm not at the point where I have to upgrade engine internals or deal with timing issues because of the boost. Where as if I was going to upgrade to more boost, I'd have to worry about timing and cooling. Stick with a little boost for now, and upgrade if you get greedy later.