PDA

View Full Version : 87 rx7

92accordex
03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
anyone got one? what are your takes on them. im thinking about scooping one up but not to sure if their as good as hondas haha. if anyone knows from experience or just knows. I'd like to know thanks!

disstractin_FC
03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
They are better than hondas in awesomeness, but not as good in gas milage and need to be maintained religiously. They are RWD which in my own opinion is a lot more fun than FWD. More comparable to a 240, mr2, older supra, etc...

92accordex
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
yours is nice:) haha yeah idk im iffy about it. im checking it out tomorrow seeing if its any good itll be a straight trade. my 92 accord coupe for his 87 rx7. your saying very costly to own though?

i_ride_fieroGT
03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
My buddy has the 1st year for them and i know someone who has the gen your looking at. It would be a bad idea. Before I got into fiero's i was looking at picking up i think was an 88 RX7 and it would have killed me money wise if i did. Parts are few and far inbetween. Brake lines for my buddy's 1st gen are more than he paied for the car and need to be orderd from japan. and they are very expensive. if you got it as a fixerupper than that one thing but as a DD i wouldent recomend it.

92accordex
03-18-2010, 10:23 PM
oh wow. yeah idk my cars not in the best shape. check engine keeps popping on and off. trying to get rid of it before anything big. but i dont know. for all i know either the car could be a scam or barely be running yano. i am taking yours into consideration. its my DD until atleast summer

disstractin_FC
03-18-2010, 10:27 PM
No no they arent expensive, and there are actually tons of parts for the FC. Im just saying if you do not maintain the car, the consequences are far worse. My stock 87 N/a motor had well over 260,000mi and ran great, an N/a rx7 is a great DD. Its when u go turbo that the whole situation get a little complicated.

92accordex
03-18-2010, 10:30 PM
yeah this ones turbod. which has me thinking maybe somethings wrong with that so thats why hes getting rid of it so cheap. willing to trade for a 2 door accord haha

disstractin_FC
03-18-2010, 10:59 PM
hey i ride fiero, i didnt mean to sound like a dbag i just read what i typed and it seemed kinda mean.

Anyways, even with a blown motor the T2 rx7s are worth some money. just try to ask about coolent probs.

SpendOne
03-19-2010, 12:56 AM
If it blows up then you can put a v8 into it....LOL. :::wink:::

disstractin_FC
03-19-2010, 01:24 AM
aww man, there are a bunch of u v8 rx guys lurkin around this forum.

i_ride_fieroGT
03-19-2010, 02:08 AM
hey i ride fiero, i didnt mean to sound like a dbag i just read what i typed and it seemed kinda mean.

Anyways, even with a blown motor the T2 rx7s are worth some money. just try to ask about coolent probs.

Lol its no problem. I dont have much experiance with the gen you 2 are talking abouit im going by knowlege of the 1st gen.

GPtuner
03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
scrap the rotary and go with an LSx motor

we have one at Cartek right now getting a heads and cam package

driftingrx5.7
03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
If it blows up then you can put a v8 into it....LOL. :::wink:::

aww man, there are a bunch of u v8 rx guys lurkin around this forum.
LOLOLOLOL you know it! the 13b is going down man DOWN I TELL YOU..lol

scrap the rotary and go with an LSx motor

we have one at Cartek right now getting a heads and cam package

lol!!

but really owning an rx7 is a great thing as long as you are open to repairs and learning something totally different its a great car, yes the gas mile SUCK na or turbo they suck but the turbo ones are where the problems are. and so see if you can find yourself a blown 13b somewhere so you can open it up and look and learn. My t2 motor blow on me 3 times before i gave up on the 13b and right when i was going to sell it someone gave me the best advice in the world!
"yo just put a v8 in it"...lol

wonner
03-19-2010, 03:07 PM
yeah this ones turbod. which has me thinking maybe somethings wrong with that so thats why hes getting rid of it so cheap. willing to trade for a 2 door accord haha

Pass on it. It's got to be a POS.

jpalamar
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't buy it.

Tires2theSky
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
buy it do the LS swap and drive a monster....I had a 88 Rx with LT1 in it and it was a blast

wonner
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM
buy it do the LS swap and drive a monster....I had a 88 Rx with LT1 in it and it was a blast

That would be a great idea, but I don't think the OP has the cash to make that happen. I also don't think he has the technical know-how to do it himself. These are just assumptions though. :)

Rotary Knight
03-19-2010, 08:15 PM
if he is willing to trade for a 2 door accord.....PASS

If a turbo rx7 has that much trouble in it that makes him willing to trade for an accord...something is definitly wrong.

snackman508
03-19-2010, 08:45 PM
i have a FD now, parts are wicked expensive. But FC ton of parts out there, my old neighbor has like 10 of them and parts them out for a living. but the rotary is a different animal read up on it but you still wont learn till you have to fix it. if your looking for reliability and gas millage stick with a honda. if you want RWD get a 240 jk no but read up on them and find how they work and some basic up keep.
Asher

disstractin_FC
03-19-2010, 09:02 PM
leave him ur car an tell him u wanna test drive it. bring it over to me and ill check it out. im right over the bridge

92accordex
03-20-2010, 12:29 AM
i would like to do that but im not trusting this guy with my car without me there haha ah for that guy up there. yeah i prob couldnt do all that myself but i got friends garages so dont worry:) cash is the problem though, you are right on that one haha

GPtuner
03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
if cash is the problem, whats going to happen when your tapped out from the trade and the thing blows an apex seal on the ride home??? no money, no car

disstractin_FC
03-21-2010, 03:20 AM
i doubt itll have detonation problems with it being stock and all, but if the guy screwed with it it is a possibility

92accordex
03-21-2010, 01:52 PM
yeah he was a shady character the car was definitly on its way down the drain..

disstractin_FC
03-21-2010, 08:48 PM
EFF that guy

Turbo7
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I just wanted to chime in on the "lack of FC parts". There are tons of stores and performance shops that support 7's.
Mazdatrix has everything you'll ever need for a 7. Mazdatrix (www.mazdatrix.com)
Racingbeat is another awesome supplier. They mostly focus on performance upgrades. Racingbeat (www.racingbeat.com)
Rx7store is yet another supplier. They too focus on performance upgrades. Rx7Store (www.rx7store.net)

There's also Rx7club.com (www.rx7club.com) which has tons of information and people selling cars or parting out cars.

driftingrx5.7
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I just wanted to chime in on the "lack of FC parts". There are tons of stores and performance shops that support 7's.
Mazdatrix has everything you'll ever need for a 7. Mazdatrix (www.mazdatrix.com)
Racingbeat is another awesome supplier. They mostly focus on performance upgrades. Racingbeat (www.racingbeat.com)
Rx7store is yet another supplier. They too focus on performance upgrades. Rx7Store (www.rx7store.net)

There's also Rx7club.com (www.rx7club.com) which has tons of information and people selling cars or parting out cars.

that is very true tons of places just be ready to spend some money with mazdatrix! great items but dam pricy!

full-cruise
03-30-2010, 01:22 AM
if you want i would go with you and take a look at it im in levittown and am in the ne alot.. just catch me with a dry day