PDA

View Full Version : plus sizing rear tire....

amp
03-10-2010, 07:49 AM
always thought about this.. wonderin if any of yall have done this..
any pros and cons.. looking to get additional contact patch..
figure this would increase your lean angle while on kickstand though...

OutToWinPAHC
03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Wouldn't worry about the kickstand much, but it will reduce cornering angle, but give you a steadier more stable straight line. So its a lose - win.

amp
03-10-2010, 09:11 AM
yeah.. figured itd add additional weight...even after keeping close aspect ratio..

crazyukrainian
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
it doesnt increase contact patch, just changes its shape. if you dont increase the width of the rear wheel, you will be pinching the tire, thus making it taller, thus making its curve more acute, and raising the rear which throws off your geometry and ****s with handling. bike should be less stable if anything..... its generally done for bling but otherwise a bad idea

crazyukrainian
03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Wouldn't worry about the kickstand much, but it will reduce cornering angle, but give you a steadier more stable straight line. So its a lose - win.

from what i understand this is only if you increase the width of the wheel too.... right?

crazy2sin
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I dont have any issues with mine being a 250 but mine was designed for a 240 and its a cruiser. But even so my vrod outhandles my sportster easy even with the big tire.

drkramm
03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I dont have any issues with mine being a 250 but mine was designed for a 240 and its a cruiser. But even so my vrod outhandles my sportster easy even with the big tire.

a bike with square tires will out handle a sportster hahaha

dont know what bike you have but going from a 190/50-17 to a 190/55-17 will give you a slightly larger contact patch and will honestly not screw up the geometry enough to notice .. also the tire it self the pilot powers have a more triangler profile as opposed to a dunlop sportmax tire which is more rounded

may i ask why you think you need a larger contact patch ?

amp
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
not sure if its needed but having been off the saddle for a decade.. dont know whats good practice anymore..
lookin to spend some time at the track later this season to get the comfort back... currently have a 998 with termis and 996R ecu...

enigma
03-12-2010, 08:41 PM
My lawnmower outhandles my sportster.
I use the power pilot 2ct's in a 180 on my 750, 190s on that model duc will be fine.

drkramm
03-13-2010, 07:55 AM
not sure if its needed but having been off the saddle for a decade.. dont know whats good practice anymore..
lookin to spend some time at the track later this season to get the comfort back... currently have a 998 with termis and 996R ecu...

i think stock they are 190-50's so you could go to a 190-55 ( check clearances around the swingarm)

190-55 will make it drop into turns a bit better too.

if its going to be a relaxing trackday i would go with pilot powers (2ct's , pure's) you'll get good mileage out of them and they have an awesome profile

if all out grip is what your going for i would recommend the diablo supercorsa 3's .... i only get about 1500 miles out of a rear tire but they are sticky as hell ... $$$$$$ too ... once i burn these off i want to try the new pilot power pure's supposed to be like 2 lbs lighter