PDA

View Full Version : 06 zx6r help!!! i think i fried my computer!!!

hypntcpimp
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
so i pulled my bike out if the garage today and jumped the battery as i do all the time, then smokeing was coming out from under the rear seat!!! did i fry my computer ?!!?!?! i got it started then it runs for like 5 minutes then just dies! the mph digital speedo was not reading at all was jumping all over the place wat could it be!?!?

Vr-4-Life
03-05-2010, 03:49 PM
If you jumped it with the car running then you probably melted the contacts on the battery... Who knows what you fried, but if the bike was running for 5 minutes then its likely not the ECU...

z'd up
03-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Stupid question but did u accidentaly hook the terminals up backwards?

hypntcpimp
03-05-2010, 04:33 PM
the contacts on the battery were fine, the smoke was coming from under the rear seat, not the connections were hooked up the rite way, i have no idea wat it can be

Vr-4-Life
03-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Take the seat off and look?

ssspeed
03-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I did the same thing to my bike in November. I hooked up cables to jump it and my positive cable touched a grounded part of the bike. A **** ton of smoke poured from the bike around the servo. I pulled apart the wire harness around the servo and found that one of my wires (a black with a yellow stripe) was fried completely. That was the only wire effected tho. The situation with my bike was that it would start and run for 2 seconds and then automatically cut out. I replaced the wire and it was still doing the same thing. The guys on the zxforums helped me out. They gave me a number of things that it could be. So I started the process of elimination. It ended up being my fuel pump relay. It is located under the tail fairing on the left side of the bike on the outside of the subframe. I bought the part used on ebay for $8. Most people call the part a junction box. I installed it and the bike has been running fine ever since.

I hope this helps you out.

Reds82
03-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Do you still have the servo in the exhaust? If so does it still cycle when you first turn it on?

hypntcpimp
03-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I did the same thing to my bike in November. I hooked up cables to jump it and my positive cable touched a grounded part of the bike. A **** ton of smoke poured from the bike around the servo. I pulled apart the wire harness around the servo and found that one of my wires (a black with a yellow stripe) was fried completely. That was the only wire effected tho. The situation with my bike was that it would start and run for 2 seconds and then automatically cut out. I replaced the wire and it was still doing the same thing. The guys on the zxforums helped me out. They gave me a number of things that it could be. So I started the process of elimination. It ended up being my fuel pump relay. It is located under the tail fairing on the left side of the bike on the outside of the subframe. I bought the part used on ebay for $8. Most people call the part a junction box. I installed it and the bike has been running fine ever since.

I hope this helps you out.

yes it does help me out thnx, but the only reason i think its the ecu is beacuse all the lights flicker when its running nd the mph and rpm keep glitching and the mph keeps jumping from kmh to mph is it the ecu u think?

ssspeed
03-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I didn't experience any of those problems. So I have no idea. I'd say your best bet would be to rip apart your wiring harness and see what's going on there. With all the smoke you said there was then you had to have fried something up pretty bad

93EGY8
03-06-2010, 08:46 PM
and this is why they make battery tenders lol, ive heard stories of this before, definatley sounds like you fried a wire, hopefully its nothing that will be to much of a set back.. best of luck to ya my friend.

drkramm
03-06-2010, 09:06 PM
i jumped my 04 636 and my 06 zx10 many times (stupidity on my part) never had this problem .. isnt the computer on the 6r under the drivers seat ? on my 636 though i had a similar problem of the dash freaking out ... turned out my harness wasnt pressed all the way in

hypntcpimp
03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
im gunna start my replacing the ecu, yes its under the seat, ill keep u guess posted thnx for all the input

PAFirefighter11
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Once you get your ish fixed, you need one of these dude.. I just got one a couple months back for my bike: http://www.quadratec.com/products/97004_1001.htm

Started up perfect yesterday.

OutToWinPAHC
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
sounds like you cooked the R/R

jpalamar
03-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't think you killed your ECU. If you did, the bike wouldn't start at all. You probally accidently grounded when you jumped it and shorted something. Doubt check all of your fuses and relays. Then look for burnt wires.