PDA

View Full Version : No Auto X events near Allentown, PA....WHY???

95gtpa
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Why are there no auto x events by us other than sportsfest once a year? Im not really trying to drive down to philly all the time.

FocusDude
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Im pretty sure PhillySCCA is holding a event up there this year. Everything is still tenative.

And http://www.nepascca.org had events at the mall in Pottsville, not to far.

95gtpa
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
thanks buddy.....appreciate it

Roadkilled75
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, Allentown is kind of an odd location, but if you're willing to drive 1-1.5 hours, the selection is awesome.

I can get to Philly scca events, NEPA scca events, and Lancaster (susquehanna region) scca events within a reasonable drive. Then there's NNJR and SJR if I stretch it to 2ish hours.

Plus there is the sportsfest event you mentioned, and hopefully soon some rally-x near Allentown as well. Unfortunately there just aren't many location opportunities right around Allentown.

jcr557
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM
if your interested, theres an autocross tomorrow at NJMP. its $35 to race

chu
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
It's hard to get a decent sized lot in Allentown to hold a series event. The Sportsfest event isn't really consider part of our summer series, so you never really see any of the "pro cars" there. I've made the 1.5 hour drive to do sportsfest though...good times. We have great locations scheduled this year, so maybe you should come down. There are a lot of people who take the drive to join us...some from New York!

DPancoast
03-06-2010, 04:55 AM
I would hope they do the Mack truck place again. that lot was nice

cluelessmale
03-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Mach truck's lot blows, it is small and the lot itself is really beat up. It gave me such a headache last year, when I took my FM to that event. But then again I like to go there since it is only a 15minutes drive and not a 1hour plus drive.

rage
04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Im pretty sure PhillySCCA is holding a event up there this year. Everything is still tenative.

And http://www.nepascca.org had events at the mall in Pottsville, not to far.

The NEPA Event is not at Pottsville, it is at the Frackville mall. I would recommend coming to the NEPA ones. They are fun and the group is a nice laid back group. You tend to also get in more runs with this group as the turn outs are not normally that large.

The courses are small however, but to be honest this will help you learn a lot more about your car!

I would also recommend the CPR region. The conekiller classic they hold over the summer is a great event.

supraghost
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
do a hillclimb in reading

CrashTestRacing
04-14-2010, 07:55 PM
+1 for the hill climb.

I have run with the guys at frackville a few times. the lot is Ok.. (gift horse ya know...)
BUT the guys up there are really awesome, way more relaxed than philly region and many more runs even on the biggest of days.

If i was going to make the hike i would get the runs for the money up in frackvile

I have to be sure i catch the pagoda run this year. every time i drive through redding i do a little detour. ;^P

JB'sLGT
04-15-2010, 02:50 PM
speaking of hillclimbs...do you need any SCCA licenses for that?

I'm extremely interested in doing the Duryea Hillclimb

sean3
04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
You need a rollbar, fire suit, and fire extinguisher I believe.

oneday
04-15-2010, 04:12 PM
You need a rollbar, fire suit, and fire extinguisher I believe.

Roll bar. Fire suppression. Suit. Harness. Seat. Comp/Novice License. Big Balls.

There are no autocrosses in Allentown because there is no where to have an event. We used to use Northampton Community College as well as Nazareth Speedway, but with the loss of those sites there is no where else to go.

Philly SCCA continuously tries to secure new lots in that area as we have a large concentration of participants from the Lehigh Valley.

If you think you know of a suitable lot in that area contact Adam @ Philly SCCA (adam.f@phillyscca.com).

JB'sLGT
04-15-2010, 07:45 PM
well I have the big balls (more like stupid bravery) but none of the other things...oh well someday

Streetracer1227
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
giants despair in wilkes barre...its a fun ride up that hill

Car6on14
05-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Roll bar. Fire suppression. Suit. Harness. Seat. Comp/Novice License. Big Balls.

hrmm, dont have suit, fire suppression, or license. How much is the license?

oneday
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
hrmm, dont have suit, fire suppression, or license. How much is the license?

Not cheap. (http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=43)

Besides the forms, physicals and admin fees you have to go to a competition license school for about $200-400 per day. You need two days of school and two races to get your regional license and then two more for a national card.

You can hill climb with your Novice Permit, which involves the physical and paperwork fees. You are probably looking at $200 for a NP. Plus, you must be an SCCA member to get the permit...so add another $80 to that.

Subaruwrxst!
07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
So....... does anybody know if the event will come to Mack Trucks again?

FocusDude
07-05-2010, 11:56 AM
^ If I heard correctly at the last Philly event in Warminster...

Philly will not be holding a SportsFest event in Allentown this year. :(

oneday
07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
^ Correct. The Mack Truck site was in terrible condition. We were trying to secure another, larger lot up there so we could be at SportsFest but it did not work out. All the Philly SCCA admins are just as bummed as you. Though, we may still get that new site, however it won't happen until later in the year.

rage
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
CPR is holding the Cone Killer Classis this weekend.

http://www.scca-cpr.org/cms/

I have been going for a few years and the lot is pretty nice. Big and fast... but it is a drive from the Philly area. I think it is worth it however.

FocusDude
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
^^On site camping makes that a awesome 3 day event! I may need to look in to that for a lonely man holiday next year.