PDA

View Full Version : Hot VS. Cold rolled springs

Silverfc88
01-19-2006, 11:07 AM
I've been thinking about getting new springs for the car. I have Eibachs now and I think they handle great and ride very good. They drop the car about .8 all around, but I want to have a slighty lower stance. The Eibachs are a progressive rate spring 70/185F, 85/165

Well the springs I've been looking at are RS-R Race springs they drop the car 1.2 front and 2.0 in the rear. The spring rates are 335/F, 224R. I think the car could gain from the lowered stance and the increased spring rates over the Eibachs.

The thing that bothers me for some reason is that the RS-R's are hot rolled and I've been reading around and several people have said that they wouldn't recomend running on hot rolled springs. They say that they wouldn't last that long, they would sag over a shorter period of time. Of course all springs will sag but hot rolled will do it faster.

I've had the Eibachs for over 5 years and they have seem to have held up fine along with the Tokico blues that I have them with.

I worry about wierd stuff like this all the time. I don't know why, but I just do.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

2point4DSM
01-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Go with coilovers. You might find that the car actually doesn't behave as nicely as you would want when you go too low and therefore you have the option of lifting it back up.

Right off the bat the car might end up riding on the bumpstops if you go too low and that will kill your shocks/struts almost immediately. Not to mention, the car might get bouncy when you go too low.

Silverfc88
01-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Depending on funds I might get a set of coilovers. :wink:

I'm going to need new shocks in the near future anyways. I mean I've had the combo for well over 5 years and no telling how long the previous owner had them before me. I just don't want to spend the money and have them blow like the stories I have been hearing.

I've heard some fairly decent feedback about the RS-R springs. The drop isn't to low. The fenders would sit right around the tires. The rear sits higher than the front now.

TROLL
01-19-2006, 01:32 PM
the problem with lowering your car too much is it takes the car out of its efficiency range for all other suspension parts. the axle, tie rods, lower arm bar, etc etc are all designed for movement within a certain range and when you go past that point even though your center of gravity is lower, your car will handle worse because all your other suspension components are no longer operating as they were designed. (for example: lowering the wrx so there is a small even fender gap all around is putting the front suspension out of its range since it requires lowering the front significantly more. its not that the car is higher up front, its just that the fender is cut higher for more clearance).
anyways you may be well aware of that but i thought it was on topic and would be interested and helpful to some others. maybe that kind of drop is perfect for your car, i guess the best thing to do is read reviews from others and gather your own opinion about what you think might be best.
i have no idea about hot or cold rolled springs. if you have more info on that process i'd be interested to know.
bryan

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2006, 03:33 AM
Lowering springs are great if your stock ride height is pretty high off the ground. However I really don't see why some people drop there cars so much, they have worry about driving there cars over cracks in the road, due to the fact they will bottom out. You want to go with lowering kit that will "help" with handing and stiffness, however not to cause possible expensive damage to your car in the long run. I had a friend that lowered his car so much, that when he drove over a man-hole cover, it took out his transmission case. Another friend lowered his car with stock struts/shocks, that he overtime lost compression in them. So go with a kit that will lower your car enough, however giving yourself some play, incase you hit a bump or pot-hole.

ho1ywars
01-29-2006, 09:52 PM
if im not mistaken eibach garrenttees that there spring rate will not change over time. i have ground control coilovers.. and i remember reading somthing about that in the box. maybe its just their coilovers...