PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Long Tube and Shorties

HickRocket1258
01-18-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a 2002 Mustang GT and I've been looking around for headers since I'm thinking about getting my exhaust done. A question I have is what's the difference between the long tube and shorty headers? I've been trying to figure out the difference but have had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

1988 Olds
01-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Ok here's a simple explanation,may not be 100% right. Shortie headers will replace your stock manifold. They will bolt right into place usually and basically just act in place of the manifold. Long tubes on the other head extend underneath the car. They replace the manifold also but also the piping off the manifold has to be cut back or replaced. When I get my car back you can look at it and see what long tubes look like or basically any car where the headers run under neath has long tubes.

white2000neon
01-27-2006, 06:31 PM
From what i heard long tube gives u more top end and short tube gives u more bottom end and mid. I'm not completely sure because it is debateable.

20th1519
01-28-2006, 01:38 AM
The difference is exactly how they are described. Shortys are a good replacement for factory exhaust manifolds that bolt right up to the stock exhaust. Long tubes will most likely require you to get an aftermarket H or X pipe to mate up to your factory exhaust. Long tubes will give you more bottom end grunt. I have had both long tubes and shortys on my 302's and prefer long tubes due to the extra torque and the sound. Either way modular 4.6's with exhausts sound nasty.

FIVEOH
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
on a 4.6, shorties won't do ****.
longtubes or bust.

AMF Racing
10-09-2006, 10:50 PM
on a 4.6, shorties won't do ****.
longtubes or bust.

i concur......long tubes with catted short x-pipe FTW...

Intercooled T
10-09-2006, 11:25 PM
i'll be running shorties with an x-pipe...w or w/o cats, not decided yet

65stang
10-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Long tubes for sure!

JSPERFORMANCE
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM
ground clearance can sometimes be a problem with long tubes

C'DALERIDER
10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
i had long tube hooker headers and catless X-pipe into spintec side exhaust on my old S3roush. It was soooo sweet sounding.

CHAOS
10-11-2006, 01:31 PM
the basic concept is about backpressure and scavenging... the longer smaller tubes help with scavenging... which helps up top... shorter headers will increase low to mid range... it all depends on what ur looking for... id say long tube for a drag/partial track car... and shorties for a street car. just my opinion

05GT
10-11-2006, 01:51 PM
No matter the application...LT's are 99% of the time better, granted that you get ones that fit correctly.

However, shorties do help low end and improve sound. You WILL see small gains from them.

Broken5hift
10-11-2006, 01:57 PM
i got shorties on my camaro and they made a big difference imo. the long tubes give you more power especially up top but you will need ground clearance

Brazen06
10-12-2006, 04:05 PM
it really depends on the application. i hear shorties do nothing for a basically stock motor, but with LT's and a tune you could see a nice power jump...shorties are more economical because they're basically a bolton, where as LT need the extra pieces of exhaust to fit right. long tubes will ultimately make more power across the board it all comes down to your preference of sound and the power level your going after.

sleeperstyle
02-13-2007, 08:43 PM
dsfsdfaasdf

PA Z06
02-21-2007, 07:43 AM
I just did some LG long tubes with high flow cats, and I heat wraped them before install, car sounds great

twistedlanes
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
From what i heard long tube gives u more top end and short tube gives u more bottom end and mid. I'm not completely sure because it is debateable.

I think your thinkin of intake . I can't remember

fuzionauto
05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Long tubes will make more HP & TQ because they merge the cylinders farther down where the exhaust is less turbulant and you will get much less exhaust reversion with much better scavaging.

Read this article it will enlighten you.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechArticles/Theory/theory.html

Crap this thread is 2 years old, just realized that, well it is a good article...

vantage08
08-12-2009, 12:58 AM
ANd shorties might be a weld on..not bolt on..makes it a little more of a PITA.

Scapegoat
08-12-2009, 08:34 AM
ANd shorties might be a weld on..not bolt on..makes it a little more of a PITA.

we have a winner! :banana:

anyway, good bump regardless because i'm looking at headers and exhaust now :)

HickRocket1258
08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
we have a winner! :banana:

anyway, good bump regardless because i'm looking at headers and exhaust now :)

Ken definately get long tubes. BBK makes some affordable good long tube headers. Not sure if they have them for the 2010 Mustang though. Catbacks are endless as well.

Scapegoat
08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
long tubes are available on american muscle, from JBA and Pypes... my only issue is there is one available shorty xpipe available and it doesn't have cats... but there is an h pipe with cats though, i would just prefer an x pipe

i don't think i want to run catless... is there much of a performance boost w/o?

HickRocket1258
08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
No there's not that big of a difference that I know of. And you'll be good with an H pipe. It doesn't hurt as much as you think it would.

EBBS_03_Cobra
09-03-2009, 01:36 PM
long tubes are available on american muscle, from JBA and Pypes... my only issue is there is one available shorty xpipe available and it doesn't have cats... but there is an h pipe with cats though, i would just prefer an x pipe

i don't think i want to run catless... is there much of a performance boost w/o?

Anything cause less restriction will add power, so catless will have more potential. But you're really talking low numbers, like single digit numbers in horsepower. Something to consider, though, as not all cats will allow you to pass emissions. I know a number of people were failing with Bassani's hi-flow cats, but then again, that was in Cali, where they are ruthless with cars.

Going H versus X will be a big difference in sound, with very little difference in power. I've got a catless set up going through an x on my car.

jpalamar
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
H pipe: deeper muscle sound

X pipe: euro V8 sound, supposidly maybe minor preformance gains at best (PROBALLY NOT)

catless: slightly better air flow and more raspy exhaust note, minor preforance gains at best NOT STREET LEGAL

long tubes: clearence issues, sometimes a PITA to install, higher top end, loud as hell, best use is track, NOT STREET LEGAL

shorties: easy install, more low/mid power then high end, better power band for street driving, will still make exhaust louder

jpalamar
11-06-2009, 11:06 AM
FYI, I just found an article that shows JBA shorties and the gains from them.

http://www.jbaheaders.com/assets/articles/gtoarticle.pdf
http://jbaheaders.com/assets/dyno/04gto_dyno.gif