PDA

View Full Version : MK4 Jetta:Engine misfires VIOLENTLY!, installed new plugs it started smoking white

blownstang88
01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Hey tst dubbers I'm in desperate need of help!! I just picked up a 01 jetta 1.8t to drive as my daily driver about 3 weeks ago. Friday night I was driving home when I was WOT in 2nd from 3k rpms to 5k rpms and the engine started shaking violently, almost like all the motor mounts broke at once. The CEL started blinking. So I pulled over and turned the car off. Oil is fine, no bubbles, coolant is fine, no oil in it, must be the coils/plugs.

So I was a mile or so from my house so i barely make it home as any type of acceleration would make the engine shake even harder. I got to about 15mph and threw my hazards on, I BARELY made it up this small hill near my house. Any throttle, even 5% throttle makes the engine/car shake soooooooo bad. The CEL blinks when this happens, if I let off the gas it goes back to a steady CEL. The car DID NOT KNOCK, TAP, SMOKE OR ANYTHING WHILE DRIVING IT LIKE THIS FOR A MILE OR SO. ONLY THE CRAZY MISFIRE/SHAKEING! If the motor knocked, tapped or smoked I would have never drove it home at all.

So I'm pretty pissed at this moment. The car only has 82k on it and I'm hoping the motor isn't trashed. So I run out to walmart (11pm so my only option) and get some platinum 2s and gap them to 0.032 and install them. I noticed there was a little bit of oil on the coils in the spark plug well. Not much but definetly noticable. I cleaned up the coils with a clean microfiber and make sure no lint or hairs were on the coils. They (the coils) didn't smell burnt, looked clean, connections were all good, no discoloration of the connectors (inside, that connect the plug to the coil, the copper peice looks new & shiny.)

I installed the new plugs and started my car up and all the sudden there was white smoke everywhere like a fog storm came from no where. The smoke was so heavy, thick and in large amounts I was amazed. The misfire/shaking was still there, but now it included a huge cloud of smoke with it. What could have caused this??????? I shut the car off and here I am now :(

RECAP:
- At WOT in 2nd gear car started misfiring and shakeing bad.
- Pulled over, oil is fine, coolant is fine.
- No knocks/taps/smoke while driving it the mile or less home.
- Engine shakes so bad the car won't go above 15mph and barely made it up a hill.
- Install new plugs and start the car to the same misfire & now crazy thick white smoke.

Now I don't know much about vws I'm just getting into them.

I had a previous CEL for a bad catalytic convertor, could it be so backed up and clogged its "choking" the motor, not letting enough gases out and then once it sits for awhile and restarts some of it burns away (the white smoke?) I'm so confused and lost here. Car ran perfect before this.

Tubo isn't blown, no shaft play, and besides the car never smoked before this and I can here it spool up and can generally tell its not that.

So what could it be?

Head gasket? Need new coil packs?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP MEEEEE ARRGGHHHH I'M SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!

And no I don't have a scanner so don't ask me to scan it!!

Renegade_
01-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Did you put the coil packs in the right spots? As in cylinder 1 has the cylinder 1 coil? A friend of mine put the spark plug wires off of the dizzy in the wrong order on his old accord and had the same symptoms.

ein
01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
When was the timing belt done? I'm no MK4 or 1.8T guy but I know the VW is not kidding about the timing belt interval. I'd start looking for a compression tester and a good VW tech. Hit up vortex (or the dealer) for the proper plugs too. The timing belt thing is a worst case scenario but they are known for having issues with them if they are not done per the factory's interval (it might have jumped time). G/L let us know how you make out.

blownstang88
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Did you put the coil packs in the right spots? As in cylinder 1 has the cylinder 1 coil? A friend of mine put the spark plug wires off of the dizzy in the wrong order on his old accord and had the same symptoms.

Yea I did each one individually, took a coil out, replaced the plug, returned the coil and moved on.

blownstang88
01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
When was the timing belt done? I'm no MK4 or 1.8T guy but I know the VW is not kidding about the timing belt interval. I'd start looking for a compression tester and a good VW tech. Hit up vortex (or the dealer) for the proper plugs too. The timing belt thing is a worst case scenario but they are known for having issues with them if they are not done per the factory's interval (it might have jumped time). G/L let us know how you make out.

Hey, yea I just got the car so I dunno if it was done. I doubt that it was. I'm at 82k miles, I think its every 60k its supposed to be done on the 1.8t? Not sure. But if the belt jumped and the timing skipped, wouldn't my motor self destruct in 1.54347 seconds lol. Even so, if it skipped timing wouldn't the valves make some sort of noise? Tap and/or knock? The motor is quiet, aside from the misfire/shakeing.

I'm starting to think my coils are bad, maybe 2 or 3 of them and there not firing and it caused excess oil/fuel to burn and create the white smoke I'm seeing. Like I said, no smoke until the new plugs were put in. Maybe the new plugs are firing now and the oil that was on the coils, even tho I cleaned them, its reacting to the spark plug that's now firing???

Forgot to add I had a misfire cel for a few days before this. Cyl 3. My plugs were toast when I changed them. Toast as-in completly white and burnt.

jbloom
01-31-2010, 11:17 PM
had the same problem about 2 weeks ago and it was a cracked coil pack in cylinder 1. Vw's are known to have coil pack issues so if you plan on keeping this one get the 60k interval done and start getting used to changing coil packs. It's quiet simple and cost about a little over 30 dollars a coil pack.

nhanxsolo
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM

1.8ts use separate ignition coils, not a coil pack. You can interchange them, they're not cylinder specific.

OP it sounds like you are having bad coils. Buy new ones and swap them in, actually VW recalled their coils recently, so if you're on stock ignition coils, call them up and see what they say, they might replace them for free. I have an okay set of coils that I just swapped out for better ones if you want to run mine and see if the problem goes away... flashing CEL means bad coils.

Edit: it definitely isnt your timing belt snapping or else your engine would be gone bro... but ask the previous owner if he did it or not, if he didn't you need to get that done ASAP. its recommended at 90k but you really need to do it every 60k.

blownstang88
01-31-2010, 11:57 PM
1.8ts use separate ignition coils, not a coil pack. You can interchange them, they're not cylinder specific.

OP it sounds like you are having bad coils. Buy new ones and swap them in, actually VW recalled their coils recently, so if you're on stock ignition coils, call them up and see what they say, they might replace them for free. I have an okay set of coils that I just swapped out for better ones if you want to run mine and see if the problem goes away... flashing CEL means bad coils.

I was thinking coils too I just had to wait until Monday (tommorrow) morning to get them from the dealer. How would I go about getting free ones for the recall? I guess bring my car there? I don't want to drive it so I guess id have to tow it and I'm sure they would harass me with "other" issues and say its other stuff to get money from me.

Is it possible to throw your coils in my jetta for a sec and see if they solve the problem? I'll give em right back lol take about 20 mins total. If they solve my problem then id just spend the $120 to get new ones. Let me know when your available as the sooner the better ;) this is my DD.

Which brings me to another concern. Why the white smoke if its just coils? Why would it smoke if the coils were bad it doesn't seem to make sense but then again maybe I'm missing something here. Maybe someone can chime in lol.

nhanxsolo
02-01-2010, 12:16 AM
I was thinking coils too I just had to wait until Monday (tommorrow) morning to get them from the dealer. How would I go about getting free ones for the recall? I guess bring my car there? I don't want to drive it so I guess id have to tow it and I'm sure they would harass me with "other" issues and say its other stuff to get money from me.

Is it possible to throw your coils in my jetta for a sec and see if they solve the problem? I'll give em right back lol take about 20 mins total. If they solve my problem then id just spend the $120 to get new ones. Let me know when your available as the sooner the better ;) this is my DD.

Which brings me to another concern. Why the white smoke if its just coils? Why would it smoke if the coils were bad it doesn't seem to make sense but then again maybe I'm missing something here. Maybe someone can chime in lol.

Hmm not sure about the smoking part... does the smoke come from the coils itself? it might be the oil situation you mentioned. Never had that happen though, but I know the flashing CEL is the coils definitely.

For the recall, you just need to call the nearest VW dealer and ask them about the recall, I don't know the steps since my coils were aftermarket (STI coils) so I just bought a different set from some guy on vortex. Where are you located? I'm in Philly, and has class most of the day tomorrow.

blownstang88
02-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Hmm not sure about the smoking part... does the smoke come from the coils itself? it might be the oil situation you mentioned. Never had that happen though, but I know the flashing CEL is the coils definitely.

For the recall, you just need to call the nearest VW dealer and ask them about the recall, I don't know the steps since my coils were aftermarket (STI coils) so I just bought a different set from some guy on vortex. Where are you located? I'm in Philly, and has class most of the day tomorrow.

The smoke came out the exhaust.

And I just pm'd you my location.

blownstang88
02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Update: I just installed 4 new coils and the misfire is gone!! But... yes there's a but... the car is still smoking white but not as bad. I mean its heavily noticable but not as bad as before.

Any ideas as to what it could be???

Its strange that it started smoking after the new plugs.

Could improper gapping, or just generally crappy plugs cause it to smoke white???

nhanxsolo
02-01-2010, 05:51 PM
hmm good to hear the misfires are gone... is it running good now? maybe the smoke will go away in a day or so. The smoke sounds like you're running rich. Take it to a VW/Audi tuning shop and have them scan it.

STiGuy06
02-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Agh coils suck on vw's ....I blew my #4 coil and it caused my co2 sensor to go too. It barely shifted. I didn't have the smoke issue though. $700 later it's fine. I hope i didn't jinx myself though :)

blownstang88
02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090928150544AAyj9vk

Hoping thats my issue. It smoked after new plugs, instead of putting my old ngks in I went and got NGK BKR6E's , the RIGHT spark plugs, the ones I got Friday were autolite platinums, and there garbo. Hopefully I put the new plugs in and I'll be good. **crosses fingers**

blownstang88
02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090928150544AAyj9vk

Hoping thats my issue. It smoked after new plugs, instead of putting my old ngks in I went and got NGK BKR6E's , the RIGHT spark plugs, the ones I got Friday were autolite platinums, and there garbo. Hopefully I put the new plugs in and I'll be good. **crosses fingers**

blownstang88
02-01-2010, 11:56 PM
So I put the NGK BKR6E's in and at first it was a succes there was no smoke at all, then once I turned it off, then back on it started to smoke, but not as bad; and it would smoke a lot when I revved it.

Took out the dipstick and found bubbles in my oil :cry::cry::cry: and we all know what that means :cry::cry::cry:

This is b.s.

I'm gonna drain the oil tomorrow to confirm that its the head gasket.

Renegade_
02-02-2010, 02:01 AM

Oh really? Good to know...

Keep driving the thing for a day and the smoke should start to clear.

blownstang88
02-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Took out the dipstick and found bubbles in my oil :cry::cry::cry: and we all know what that means :cry::cry::cry:

Keep driving the thing for a day and the smoke should start to clear.

I don't think the smoke is gonna go away lol

upperguy
02-02-2010, 04:37 AM
what do you mean bubbles in the oil? if it's like a milkshake from coolant than your HG is bad, but I know that E36's used to get this odd 'froth' during winter but it would go away if you drove it hard. Either way good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of VW.

blownstang88
02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Bubbles as in litle bubbles on the dip stick, nothing huge like soap bubbles lol, bubbles that are pin size.

My friend is comin over after work today with a vag com. Should know more tonight or tomorow morning.

blownstang88
02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Turns out I had a bad valve cover gasket , a crack in a vaccum line goin to the turbo and my altanator is goin bad, sooo I'm gettin on them problems right now. Should be back on the road by Saturday depending on this "storm" were getting!

lownslow95
02-12-2010, 02:39 PM
So is your car running any better now?

blownstang88
02-21-2010, 11:52 PM
yea runs perfect. fixed a bunch of the problems.