PDA

View Full Version : Squeeking noise

~Brian~
01-16-2006, 06:13 PM
On my way to the meet last night, every time I hit a bump, I could hear a really wierd squeeking noise, weither I was using the breaks or not. I could only hear it when the radio was off, but still.
What's really wierd is that just two days ago, I was not hearing any noises. Think it is just the cold weather that is causing the noise?

WrxJC
01-16-2006, 06:21 PM
what, if any, upgrades to do have suspension or wheel/brake -wise??

~Brian~
01-16-2006, 06:40 PM
None as of now. I am thinking it might just be from age. My car is not exactly brand new anymore.

Vypurr
01-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Is it a belt? Maybe you hit it hard enough to move the tensioner? You did say it was old, so maybe it loosened a little!

2point4DSM
01-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Bushings around the sway bar?

~Brian~
01-16-2006, 06:53 PM
I was thinking it might be the springs.

I bought the car new and have had it less than 2 years, so I would not say it is old, but it has seen some use to say the least.

2point4DSM
01-16-2006, 07:03 PM
From most likely: Sway bar bushings, balljoints, strut mounts, sway bar end links....

Least likely: springs. Springs generally don't make noises.

~Brian~
01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I would like to change the noise from squeeking to creaking. haha.

And it is not only when I hit a bump. I was at a red light last night and was at a stand still. I let go of the break and rolled back like 1 foot. When I realized this, I put my foot back on the break and when the car stopped, I heard the noise again. So I did it a few more times and sure enough, it made the noise.

poolmike
01-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Does it make the sound when the front of the car moves up and down? and when you turn the wheel back and forth? If so, I say ball joints. Get it checked out, if a ball joint is 'creaking/squeeking' it is only a few miles away from separating, and that is NOT good.

Chuck@ Bonehead Performance had the same noise in his Eclipse. We are waiting on 6 ball joints for his car to arrive :eek:

~Brian~
01-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Thankfully it does not make the noise when I turn the wheel, mostly when I hit smaller bumps and/or when the car jolts (like when I was doing the break thing the other night).

poolmike
01-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Get it looked at regardless, just in case. I'm speaking from experience, life sucks when you are driving along and a ball joint separates from the control arm. It happened to me twice in my old Fiat Spider. The first time, I had the "squeeking' sound, and I just kept putting off jacking up the car to check it out. It separated on Bridgetown Pike in Langhorne and I skidded onto the shoulder- The only thing destroyed was a tire. The second time there was no warning. Driving at ~75 mph on Swamp Road in Newtown when it let go. I went ditch diving and I'm very happy I survived.

~Brian~
01-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Now I hardly hear it. It only does it every now and then. Weird.