PDA

View Full Version : School Me on the SN197

oneday
01-27-2010, 05:16 PM
The 05-07 4.6L 5spd in particular. Are there variations in drive train/features year to year?

lownslow95
01-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm sure you could find out more information on www.njstangers.org or any other mustang forum.

devildog214
01-27-2010, 09:33 PM
if your talking about the whole drivetrain, 05-06 had 3.55 gear ratio 07 went to 3.31 with 3.55 as an option. Not much of the engine and trans have changed over those 3 years that i can find.

TJs98GT
01-28-2010, 08:30 AM
forget njstangers for that kinda tech information.....id suggest www.modularfords.com

Chris B.
01-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I think it was the '07 model year where the TPMS became standard. That means an extra $100 per set of wheels to add used TPMS sensors and new TPMS bands.
The other option is to put all of the TPMS sensors in a plastic bottle inflated to 32 PSI or higher.

The only way to get a 3.73 rear end from the factory is in the '08 and '09 Bullitt.

Navigation became an option in '07 or '08.

'09 was the first year of the all glass roof.

HID headlights became a factory option in the '08 model year. You can add HID bulbs to the factory non HID housing for about $100, but a full HID conversion using factory parts is about $900.

S197forum.com has quite a few people who track and race their mustangs. Sam Strano frequents the handling forum.

bmatyeah
01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
You cant go wrong, there is an enormous amount of parts for this car. You will want to change the gears anyway, depending on how you drive this car, but throwing in 4.10's really helps the car with acceleration.

mustang parts are usually always cheaper then any other car because they are common. and mostly anything you want is already made.

http://pennmustangs.com

jpalamar
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
The only way to get a 3.73 rear end from the factory is in the '08 and '09 Bullitt.

'09 was the first year of the all glass roof.

3.73 are avail on the 2009 GT Premium coupe also. Not on converable. I saw pics of the glass roof but they didn't have it in stock when Julie was looking. These were the only 2 options she wanted and it was impossible to find at the time.

Chris B.
01-29-2010, 09:27 PM
3.73 are avail on the 2009 GT Premium coupe also. Not on converable. I saw pics of the glass roof but they didn't have it in stock when Julie was looking. These were the only 2 options she wanted and it was impossible to find at the time.

I'm pretty sure Ford didn't make any non Bullitt 2009 GT's with factory 3.73 gearss. They started offering them in 2010. As far as I can find, there was never a 2009 model Year non Bullitt Mustang GT with 3.73 gears produced. It may have been listed as an option in their computer system, but the 3.73 option required getting the Bullitt package for 2008 and 2009.

If you used the system the Dealer has to locate cars, they did list 3.73 gears as an option on all 2008 and 2009 Mustang GT's, but the search results would only show Bullitts in searches. If you selected both the glass roof and 3.73 gears, you wouldn't find any car because you couldn't get the glass roof on a Bullitt. I went through it when buying the replacement for my first 2008 GT because I saw the option of 3.73 gears on the list and had them do multiple searches for a non bullitt with factory 3.73 gears. It always yielded zero results when looking for 2008 or 2009 model year Mustang GT's if you excluded Bullitt models. There was a note in the system that the 3.73 gears were part of another package, which was the Bullitt package.

There are quite a few Ford dealers that will install 4.10 and 3.73 gears on cars, along with other modifications, then put them for sale on their lots, but its not a factory option. I found quite a few dealer modified 2008 GT's when looking for a 2008 GT coupe in Januaury of 2009. The ones that did have 3.73 gears that weren't Bullitts listed 3.55 or stock gears on their window stickers.

tcturbo91
01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
they are nice with good power potential, but for the $ i'd look into an 03-04 Cobra to be honest. corral.net is good for tech on all mustangs, svtperformance.com is good for cobra specific.

Chris B.
01-30-2010, 05:34 PM
they are nice with good power potential, but for the $ i'd look into an 03-04 Cobra to be honest. corral.net is good for tech on all mustangs, svtperformance.com is good for cobra specific.

If you want to go fast in a straight line for cheap then I agree, get a '03-'04 Cobra.

If you want to have the car handle well on a track or autoX, get a S197.

tcturbo91
01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
If you want to go fast in a straight line for cheap then I agree, get a '03-'04 Cobra.

If you want to have the car handle well on a track or autoX, get a S197.

really? i'd say IRS would be a bit better for the road course rather than the straight axle from the SN197, but maybe I'm wrong

jpalamar
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
S197 = better handling and not that much slower then the Cobra from my understanding

Ciotti
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
really? i'd say IRS would be a bit better for the road course rather than the straight axle from the SN197, but maybe I'm wrong

The design of the IRS was compromised because it was being squeezed into a space meant for a solid rear axle so the geometry isn't great. Also, when pushed real hard on track it gets the diff fluid stupid hot because it can't travel down the axle tubes to cool down so you need to set up some kind of a diff cooler which is just a real pain in the ass.
Finally, it's heavier so any real benefit has by this point gone right out the window which is why most (if not all) of the cars that run competitively use a solid rear axle.

Chris B.
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM

The S197 has close to 50/50 weight balance along with a different front and rear suspension than the '79-'04 solid axle mustangs. There were some compromises made with the IRS in the Cobras due to space limitations. The front suspension of a S197 is very similar to a e36/e46 BMW 3 series and the rear supension is a newer 3 link design that moves a bit more freely on uneven pavement.

You can do a few minor modifcations to the rear suspension of the S197 that makes it move even more freely and also helps with handling.

Currently S197's are the cars to have in SCCA F stock. They run better times than the older, higher powered camaros and the various previous gen IRS Mustangs.

oneday
02-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys! If I get one (I am still undecided what the Miata replacement will be) it will be an 05 or 06 and it looks like the only thing I'll need to be vigilant of is determining which diff the car is equipped with.

Chris B.
02-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys! If I get one (I am still undecided what the Miata replacement will be) it will be an 05 or 06 and it looks like the only thing I'll need to be vigilant of is determining which diff the car is equipped with.

The diff only matters if you are racing it in stock class. Its a cheap upgrade.

TJs98GT
02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
The design of the IRS was compromised because it was being squeezed into a space meant for a solid rear axle so the geometry isn't great. Also, when pushed real hard on track it gets the diff fluid stupid hot because it can't travel down the axle tubes to cool down so you need to set up some kind of a diff cooler which is just a real pain in the ass.
Finally, it's heavier so any real benefit has by this point gone right out the window which is why most (if not all) of the cars that run competitively use a solid rear axle.

i agree. i swapped to IRS in my 98 and the only reason it stays in there is because it looks so ridiculously badass IMO from behind with the IRS exhaust, 315s and sumped tank. but if the right deal for a solid axle swap comes around, ill def swap it out.

The S197 has close to 50/50 weight balance along with a different front and rear suspension than the '79-'04 solid axle mustangs. There were some compromises made with the IRS in the Cobras due to space limitations. The front suspension of a S197 is very similar to a e36/e46 BMW 3 series and the rear supension is a newer 3 link design that moves a bit more freely on uneven pavement.

You can do a few minor modifcations to the rear suspension of the S197 that makes it move even more freely and also helps with handling.

Currently S197's are the cars to have in SCCA F stock. They run better times than the older, higher powered camaros and the various previous gen IRS Mustangs.

exactly, the rear solid axle setup is much better than the older solid axle, and with a few mods itll handle really really well.

S197 = better handling and not that much slower then the Cobra from my understanding

better handling yes, but i wouldnt say not that much slower than an 03/04 cobra. 03/04 cobra is one of the best bang for the buck cars you can get to mod. 500rwhp is attainable with very little cash. cant do that on an s197. the s197 3 valve motor does respond very well to boost though.

Ciotti
02-04-2010, 09:52 PM
but if the right deal for a solid axle swap comes around, ill def swap it out.

My dad wants to swap in an IRS to his 96' Cobra, he drives it like a grandma (because he's over 60 years old) and before he got it the previous owner was a judge that drove it from FL to PA over and over again so it's in great shape. We just put Koni STR.T's and H&R Sports on the car late last year which would be part of the trade if you're interested. Let me know man :)

TJs98GT
02-05-2010, 08:35 AM
My dad wants to swap in an IRS to his 96' Cobra, he drives it like a grandma (because he's over 60 years old) and before he got it the previous owner was a judge that drove it from FL to PA over and over again so it's in great shape. We just put Koni STR.T's and H&R Sports on the car late last year which would be part of the trade if you're interested. Let me know man :)

that sounds oddly familiar, i feel like we have discussed that possibility before? the problem was im trying to find a built rear (31 spline) for the trade otherwise ill take a beating on the cost of parts and labor building one up.

Ciotti
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Hahahahha, come to think of it I believe we did talk through email a while back about it :) If you change your mind let me know, my one worry about finding someone that has all the parts already installed would be that you'll have no idea what shape they're in, they could have had the ass beat out of them or may have been installed by monkeys :-O