PDA

View Full Version : 95 SHO clutch question...

A_White06
01-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Can anyone describe what the clutch should feel like on one of these cars? I went to test drive a 1995 5 speed, and the clutch did not engage until the end of travel of the pedal, but once it engaged it seemed just fine. (I didn't notice slipping, and had no problems shifting between gears once moving) I was not able to really 'feather' the clutch when pulling out and it was not a rough jerky start either.

I'm not really trying to diagnose the car but rather looking from some input on a 5 spd SHO owner to see how their clutch acts. :wink: Thanks.

jpalamar
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
svtpreformance.com will help you alot.

SilverStang
01-25-2010, 05:21 PM
i owned a 95 SHO w/ five speed for years and just got rid of it this past summer, so i can answer your question quite well, it is going to feel like, the clutch you have to push in ALL the way and like you said it doesnt really engage until its almost out, my gears would never slip but they sucked, and clutches in those cars go every 25000 miles or so, clutches in those cars down right suck

A_White06
01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
svtpreformance.com will help you alot.

Thank you for the link.

i owned a 95 SHO w/ five speed for years and just got rid of it this past summer, so i can answer your question quite well, it is going to feel like, the clutch you have to push in ALL the way and like you said it doesnt really engage until its almost out, my gears would never slip but they sucked, and clutches in those cars go every 25000 miles or so, clutches in those cars down right suck

Thanks for the info, seems like I'll have to see what upgrade options are out there if I end up getting the car.

Blackonblack89
02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Can anyone describe what the clutch should feel like on one of these cars? I went to test drive a 1995 5 speed, and the clutch did not engage until the end of travel of the pedal, but once it engaged it seemed just fine. (I didn't notice slipping, and had no problems shifting between gears once moving) I was not able to really 'feather' the clutch when pulling out and it was not a rough jerky start either.

I'm not really trying to diagnose the car but rather looking from some input on a 5 spd SHO owner to see how their clutch acts. :wink: Thanks.

That sounds normal. How many miles are on it? How hard was it to push in? IMO for the most part they are not super light to push in but they should be easy.

Clutches on these cars can last a long time when driven correctly. My DD SHO original clutch lasted over 150k. I had it from 130k, but the car had no maintence records and verified when I did the clutch. Also they are very easy to feather, but ur probably not use to it, thats all. My new valeo OEM clutch in my 91 DD is awesome now and w/ the ceramic TOB, I know it will outlive the car.

The only thing i heard bout complaints on late relase is on clutchmaster's stage 1 clutch. They seem to let out really late in the pedal, but that just seems to be their nature and work just fine.

Also the main reason why these clutches go is b/c of TOB and PP finger wear. And you will hear that when u push the clutch in. Slipping and disk wear is uncommon. The TOB/PP finger wear is wat cause the failure in most cases.

FYI 95 5-speed's are not very common, alot were autotragics :wink:

Own 2 SHO's one being pretty highly modified S/C'ed and my DD SHO which is becoming pretty modified too.:eek:

Also SHOforum.com has tons of info.